“"Cockroaches don't bite"” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 43 Hotels in Paihia
Auckland
“"Cockroaches don't bite"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Booked the hotel for 1 night stay during my North Island tour.

We tired after a long drive , reached the hotel at 10.30pm and had friendly staff wait up for us and give us the room keys – Impressive
Got into the room, found an old plasma box ( TV) which had only 3 channels ( Doesn’t matter as we didn’t go to watch TV)
There was a big spider on the wall and I Couldn’t take my eyes off it. Suddenly my cousin, who apparently is a dentist screamed at the top of her voice and pointed at a COCKROACH that was crawling on the wall right behind a portrait of our bed.

I picked up the phone , called the reception and told them about the “creepy creature in my room”, the same friendly staff came up running in minutes to rescue me. Gave me a cockroach repellent spray. HAHA!!

I went down and all the friendly staff head home “Nite nite”
All they could do is change my room . Apparently I couldn’t sleep all night so I sat up watching TV ., yeah correct those 3 awful channels.

Next morning wanted to charge my camera, and took it out of the bag & to my surprise a cockroach jumps out of the bag & crawls under the bed.
Next thing was me taking a shower, and checking out in no time.

Next time all I am going to stay is at a 5star hotel ,don’t mind spending extra bucks , but do mind wasting my time on creepy cockroaches.

Room Tip: They are still under construction!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
TanoaPaihia, General Manager at Tanoa Paihia Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Your experience was unfortunate and I apologise for the discomfort you felt.
Our utmost endeavour is to ensure the comfort of our guests. We do this by ensuring our facilities are thoroughly clean and by offering an exceptional and friendly personal service.
Regretfully, occasionally and fortunately rarely, insects will get into a property and, in my experience they are not selective with respect to the star rating of a hotel.

Nevertheless, our mandatory room check prior to guest arrivals should eliminate events of this nature and I have implemented a cross check of this duty to minimise the risk of a reoccurrence.
I’m sorry that our efforts in trying to mitigate the problem at the time did not meet with your expectation.

I trust that the nil charge for the room was some compensation and, I hope we have the opportunity in the future to host you again and provide you with a happier experience.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you wish to discuss the matter further.

Ted Hatch
gm.tph@tanoahotels.co.nz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Had to ask for toilet paper, room not vacuumed once in a week. Coffee cups were not clean on arrival and only rinsed while there. Roof had mould near the bathroom also. Is cheap and easy walk to town if these are over looked or you get a room without mould

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Quite a good hotel to stay in my only complaint would be the 3 tv channels available and no free wifi although you can get it outside the local library. Its not too far to walk to the sea front. It has a small swimming pool thar you have to prebook before you use it.

• Stayed December 2012
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The rooms are reasonabily priced with friendly front office staff and good clean rooms just a coulpe of things only 3 tv channels and too much noise from room above so don't stay on ground floor. There is both a restaurant and spa on site to use

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

really lovely staff but fail to see how it meets the "well appointed" claims. Not even a bottle opener, 1 teaspoon and a telly that was old. no sky available, 4 almost trusty channels. Room had been well used and was tired. Nice (older) spa pool and the bed was decent and it was clean. But honestly only 1 step up from a backpackers not even motel standard. Shower was great.

Room Tip: it is central, large amount of rooms so let staff know if you need a quiet area.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We used a *grab one* voucher which offered 'pay for 1 night stay for 2 nights'. What a disappointment to not be able to watch the All Blacks v South Africa rugby in the comfort of our room. It was pouring with rain and the wind was blowing gales and we had to make our way along the wet corridor to the public lounge to watch. They dont open the diningroom for dinner and also no breakfast. The reason given was that the hotel was too quiet at this time of the year (Sept 2012) Never to return!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We normally stay in Motels, as we like having a kitchenette.. but Wotif had a special so we grabbed it.
Paihia is a lovely place and a great place to stay. This Hotel is clean and modern. a decent shower. and lovely soft sheets!
only 3 channels on the telly... but I guess that will change once freeview comes in?
The tv in the lounge didn't offer much more.. unless you're into sport :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tanoa Paihia Hotel? Share your experiences!