“The BOI as it should be seen.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 38 Activities in Paihia
Type: Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The Rock Cruises Get on the The Rock NZ boat for the most action-packed Bay of Islands cruise in New Zealand. Come aboard and let the activities begin! an image Activities in the Bay of Islands don't get better than with the Rock Cruises. Our action-packed choice of 3 different adventure-filled Bay of Islands cruises are full of fun activities starting from only $108 per person! That includes fishing, kayaking, snorkelling, hiking, target shooting and star gazing. Of course, you can simply relax, drink in the stunning New Zealand scenery and enjoy the wide variety of wildlife that inhabits this unique region of Northland. Browse through our website to uncover all the essential Bay of Islands activities you can do and what you'll see whilst you cruise the Bay of Islands on the Rock NZ Boat. You can read the overnight cruise itinerary here and, if you want to get a taste of what other people have said about us, visit our Join Us section and check out our reviews on Trip Advisor and our Facebook community.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Kaikohe, New Zealand
“The BOI as it should be seen.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

A night out on this cruise has to be experienced. The dusk fishing, the night kayak, the island stopover, the great company. Beautiful trip from the moment we stepped off the wharf at Paihia. The crew were fantastic and couldn't do enough for the passengers. A lovely relaxing cruise where you can sit back and take in the scenery. This company really does the Bay of Islands proud - and I should know, I live there.

Paihia, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
“The Rock Rocks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

had the most fun trip I have had in a longtime on The Rock, the views rock, the activities rock, the crew rock. If you want a fun relaxing night on the water in the beatiful Bay of Islands, book a night out on the Rock at Paihia, you won't regret it.

Charlotte, North Carolina
18 attraction reviews
“Amazing fun, so much to do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

My adult daughter and I took the full overnight cruise and spent 22 hours on the Rock and had an amazing time! You meet on the pier just down from the I Site Information center and you get ferried out at 17:00. The crew shows you to your room, you get a safety briefing, then off you go. We started by shooting a paintball gun at Matilda the plastic duck. You learn about the different islands in the area. Dinner was great and people were able to get seconds on the salads, rice, etc. Steak and sausage was very good. I almost skipped the night Kayak because I have never Kayaked before and I am not physically fit, but James ( crew member) talked me into going and even said that Willy (another crew member) would help tow my Kayak if I needed help. I ended up in a double Kayak with Willie and mysel which was perfect for me. Night Kayaking was so beautiful under the stars and the fluorescent algae in the water is incrediable. So grateful for James and Willy! it is the type of cruise where you are busy from the time you get on the boat until the time you dock, or you can just take time to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenerary. There is fishing, kayaking, snorkling, swimming, hiking...seriously so much going on that there is something for everyone. The crew is amazing and so helpful. They watch out for your safety at all times, like when I drifted a bit from the group during snorkling, and they help you with everything! My daughter and I both agree that it was an amazing adventure and we would do it again! Extra thanks to James and Willy and the rest of the crew you made it a wonderful trip!

London, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
“Brilliant. Must do. ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We were really looking forward to this trip based on the TripAdvisor reviews and it didn't disappoint.

The biggest plus was the crew who were fantastic, Rowan, Willie, Marie and Melissa were all knowledgeable, friendly and fun.

Paintballing plastic ducks, fishing for Snapper, Bbq dinner, kayaking at night seeing the stars and the phosphorescence, swimming at 11pm and that was only the first day. The trip was the best thing we did in the Bay of Islands and would recommend it to all ages.

If we return, we are doing this again.

Paihia, New Zealand
“there are much better people to deal with”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Would not recommend. Booking a trip on the internet too far in advance is not a good idea for New Zealand as the weather conditions change rapidly. We found this company to be completely inflexible regarding their refund policy and therfore would not recommend them at all. The day of our proposed trip was completely shocking with swells of two metres forcast by the weather bureau. They reserve the right to cancell at any time with interest of passenger comfort and safety. Our day was not condusive to passenger comfort or safety with reduced visibility and proposed forcast of swells of 2 meters. Although this company reserves the right to cancel this right was not provided to us as customers. Their approach and their interest appears to be in the money you as a customer can bring in. The Bay of Islands is a beautiful place that I recommend everyone seeing but there are much better cruise companies around- my suggestion is to choose another.

Visited December 2013
overnightcruiser, Owner at The Rock Adventure Cruises - Day Cruises, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Dirk, It is our company policy not to respond to threats of bad reviews. That said you reconfirmed the night before your cruise via email and had there been any concern regarding the weather we would have mentioned at it this time. There are 3 skippers who know the Bay of Islands well who make our weather calls regarding both our overnight cruises and day trips. There was nothing of concern on Tuesday this week. We had a group of 18 travellers who were already out in the Bay having done our overnight trip and they had a fabulous time. Had you mentioned concerns regarding weather at the time of reconfirming we could have had the discussion but you turned up on the wharf for boarding and then decided not to go. At this point our sea shuttle was waiting for you, food had been ordered and the boat had been staffed in order to allow for your trip. It was explained clearly to you at this time that no refund would be made as the trip was safe to run but you still choose not to join us. Your half day of repeated threats to our staff does not change this policy. I was more than happy to discuss this with you on the phone on Tuesday to clarify the situation but you refused to speak to me. Kind regards, Sarah Greener, Owner