“Thanks for your hospitality” 4 of 5 stars

Anchorage Motel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Marsden Road, Paihia, New Zealand   |
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Paihia
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Thanks for your hospitality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We arrived in the middle of a storm and were given excellent directions by Aileen - who had worked out the best routes for us to travel on as many main roads were closed. We stayed 5 nights in a spacious, warm, spotless room, with magnificent views of the bay and a delightful outdoor spa. The location was within easy walking distance to the shops and we found it a great spot for relaxing as well as using as a base to get around and see more of Northland. Aileen really looked after us - we got a fresh newspaper each morning, free wifi, laundry services and bottled water when it looked like the town supply was running out. We felt very welcomed and would happily recommend the Anchorage to others.

Room Tip: We were upstairs with a sea view. It was quiet and private.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
anchor01, Owner at Anchorage Motel, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We feel you enjoyed your 5 night stay with us under very trying circumstances. Aileen worked hard to make your stay as stress free as possible and you show much appreciation for our facilities and location. It would of been nice to have received an overall higher score as your comments surely suggested, however we really appreciate you spreading the word that Anchorage Motel is a great place to stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Welcomed in from the storm by our lovely host Aileen who guided us through our warm spotless 3 bed unit
Beds very comfortable kids enjoyed having their own tv so Dad could watch Rugby
Enjoyed the many activities the bay and winterless north have to offer but it was so nice to come back to a hot bubbly spa pool at night
Thanks for a great holiday look forward to coming back
Regards Parata's

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
anchor01, Owner at Anchorage Motel, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Thankyou Parata’s for a lovely review. Great to hear you enjoyed our many activities the lovely Bay of Islands have on offer. We are pleased you found our facilities up there with our comfy beds and warm spotless rooms. We would very much like to have you back for another great experience in the Bay.
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My wife and I had a great stay for two nights at the Anchorage Motel early July,we received an extremely friendly welcome from our host Aileen,who was happy to show us through a unit,which was very well appointed,good sized bedroom,huge bathroom,large living / kitchen area. The unit was exceptionally clean throughout.Great views from our 2nd floor unit,5 minutes walk into town, we would definitely stay again. Ian and Kay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
anchor01, General Manager at Anchorage Motel, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Thank you Ian and Kay for taking the time to review our two bedroom apartment. Your special mention of our location and views of the Bay is very much appreciated. We have put a lot of effort into keeping our rooms looking modern and our staff is meticulous in maintaining the cleanliness of them. Aileen was absolutely gutted by the review your visitors were able to post on TripAdvisor as she tirelessly strives to ensure our guests and their visitors have a memorable stay at our place. It’s very disappointing and as a result of that review we have slipped three very costly places for accommodation in Paihia.
Rotorua, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We didn't actually stay here, but visited friends who do. The motel is directly opposite the beach with lovely views. Unit was a good size and was spotlessly clean and lovely décor. The disappointing thing was that one of the couches (that was also a pull out bed) had the mattress missing, so when sitting on it you sunk extremely low and had problems getting up out of it. When our friends checked out they mentioned it to the owner, who told them she had taken it out for her granddaughter to sleep on! And that she thought it wouldn't be needed! And that most people sit on the other couch to watch tele anyway. Quite poor on her behalf I think. What if they both wanted a couch each to lie and and watch tele. let alone having visitors that were very uncomfortable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
alf0798, Owner at Anchorage Motel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for the review. We are disappointed that for such a small issue that would have been remedied in less than five minutes has cost us a bad review.
What was explained to your friends who after all were the guests staying with us, was that I had completely forgotten that I had taken the mattress out for my granddaughter to sleep on. I most sincerely apologised for the oversight and said I was unaware that the removal of the mattress would upset the comfort of someone sitting on it. Now this was an honest mistake that we could have fixed immediately by replacing it with another mattress from an unoccupied unit and you all could have enjoyed the rugby in comfort.
When I said to our guest “I thought it wouldn’t be needed”, I meant as a sofa bed and at no time did I say or would I have ever said that only one couch is all that is needed to watch television.
Our rooms have been designed to enhance our guests comfort with nice décor and furniture. To receive such a harsh review is disappointing and damaging for our business.
PS. Very interesting that our next review is from the guests whom you visited and they loved the place and rated us accordingly.
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Staff are friendly and helpful. Room was modern and exceptionally clean and well appointed. Our room had a spa bath which was awesome to be able to unwind in even when the weather outside was not great. There is also a pool and a spa pool onsite.
The motel is approx. a 10 minute stroll to the main shopping centre in Paihia but everything you need is within a stones throw. Restuarant, cafe, bar, liquor store and a convenience store all within 2-3 minute walk and the beach across the road.
I highly recommend this place to anyone wanting a relaxing stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
anchor01, Owner at Anchorage Motel, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Hi Felix...thank you for the nice review of our Studio Spa Supreme room. We appreciate your entire comments on our facilities, rooms and location. We hope that prospective guests reading your review take up your recommendation to stay with us in the lovely Bay of Islands.
Aileen and Denis
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Highly recommended. Exceptional quality and superb value, especially in winter. Five star in cleanliness, location and comfort. Very friendly and helpful staff, in fact probably the best motel experience I have had in New Zealand.

Room Tip: Suspect all the rooms are good. I was downstairs and absolutely no complaints although in peak time...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
anchor01, Owner at Anchorage Motel, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Wow! Bananabanou "the best motel experience I have had in New Zealand", that is an awesome compliment and it looks like we ticked all the boxes for you. We look forward to hosting you again if and when you ever visit the lovely Bay of Islands again, thank you from the team.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Recently, I stayed at my usual friendly, cosy, accommodation in Paihia and was plagued with car problems. So much so that on my final day I chose to drive the 5 hours straight home in order to get the car seen to.
When the car wouldn't start on the morning of my departure Aileen (owner and manager) immediately understood the problem, called her mechanic and got me on the road in record time. All the while checking other valued guests out and making arrangements for her busy day.
After a quick hug and a "Will you be ok now?" from Aileen I was on my way and I thought this is why I keep coming back when I could stay anywhere.
Thanks Aileen for looking after me.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
anchor01, Owner at Anchorage Motel, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
As usual Julia, we love your regular visits and we look forward to the next one. Having your car made mobile was not a problem and was just part of the friendly service. See you soon....Aileen and Denis

Been to Anchorage Motel? Share your experiences!