“Return to paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 23 Paihia B&B and Inns
Gosport
“Return to paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having stayed with Paul and Barbara five years ago we were so pleased to be back there again for a three night stay.We were welcomed as old friends and instantly felt at home. Morepork Lodge has developed so well since our previous visit and we were treated to a conducted tour of the grounds and introduced to all the animals including my namesake chicken!!
It is hard to improve on perfection but both of our hosts always go the extra mile to ensure that everyone has a memorable experience.We are already saving for our next visit and cannot recommend Morepork Lodge more highly for an unforgetable visit to the Bay of Islands.You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great but our favourite is the Riverview Room with it's jaccuzi bath and de...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Wokingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We booked for one night on our way back to Auckland, but stayed for two because we liked it so much. The rooms and surroundings are superb and Paul and Barbara are wonderful hosts. I highly recommend Morepork.

Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

By the end of our four night stay here we felt like part of the family. A lovely setting, with comfortable rooms. Paul and Barbara think of everything and couldn't be more helpful. They cooked two wonderful dinners for us and the breakfasts were amazing, especially the pancakes with grilled banana. I highly recommend a visit to Paihia and a stay at Morepork. I'm still enjoying the tea Paul, thanks again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Maidstone
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Spent 6 nights in absolute comfort. Quiet location , fabulous hosts who provided 2 superb home cooked meals.
The grounds are amazing and it's so nice to sit on ones own deck with a drink enjoying the view.
Highly recommended ,Paul & Barbara can't do enough to make you feel at home and comfortable.
Don't miss.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Herefordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We started our trip here and it has spoilt us for anywhere else. Barbara and Paul are excellent hosts and made us feel instantly at home. Their local advice was indispensable. Our room (the Waitangi) had a lovely view over the river valley to the fields opposite and was very comfortable. Dinner was excellent and it was lovely to be able to eat with our hosts and other guests. The breakfasts were also excellent and set us up for the day. I cannot recommend this B&B highly enough. I wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Choose one of the two rooms overlooking the garden and river valley.
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is also another belated review of mine, as I visited the place actually by last January .... but better late than never .... and Paul & Barbara really deserved the praise. My experience began with the InterCity bus driver dropping me at the wrong spot (although he had assured me earlier that he knows the place). Luckily I had an NZ prepaid card and called Paul to help picking me up .... and he did it straight away although pick-up service was mentioned at all when I made the reservation ... such a hospitality !! What made me decided to stay at this particular B&B was the picture of Anzac and Tim-Tam, the tame alpacas they had there .... and I'm not disappointed. Not only your eyes can feast of the beautiful surroundings, but your tummy is also guaranteed to be filled in with delicious breakfast. As it's quite some distance from the center of Paihia (about 9 km ?), and I have no car with me, Paul & Barbara were also prepared to serve dinner for me on my first night. As I was traveling solo, I got the smaller room : Puketona, but I have a balcony set aside for my own use at the back side of the house where I could have my breakfast and dinner if I want to ... and I DID want to as it was so peaceful and quiet.... sitting there watching the sun goes down ..... The bedroom was also very comfortable ... there was a welcome basket of fruits and biscuits (very handy if you feel hungry in between the meal time). Lots of books to read if you're a bookworm (like I am ,,,,, I was even allowed to take a book of one favorite author of mine back home with me :). There was also a small ] "forest" surrounding one side of the house where you could take a walk before breakfast to boost your appetite !! Or you could help Paul feed the fat hens (there were 8 - or was it 9 ? - of them when I was there), and of course the tame alpacas, Anzac and Tim-Tam, and to quote from Paul : a very pregnant male goat by the name of Pollux !! I thought he was a SHE when I first saw him, such a big tummy for a he-goat that I've ever seen :) and he ruled over those two alpacas !!
Having no car with me, I relied on Paul and Barbara to drop me at the 9-km-away Paihia wharf during those two days I stayed with them, and they did so oblidgingly with no extra cost ... including that first afternoon when Paul picked me up somewhere at the Paihia-Kerikeri highway.
So .... if you ever think of spending your holiday in the beautiful Bay of Islands, New Zealand .... Morepork Riverside Lodge is the place !!! Who knows .... you might even be lucky enough to meet the elusive Mr. Morepork himself up there in one of the trees at the back yard ..... ;)

Room Tip: Every room has its own charm I think ... but of course the one facing the back yard is the best choi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

From the moment we arrived, Paul and Barbara were the consummate hosts. The breakfasts were superb, especially the pancakes with caramelized bananas. Dinner one night was roasted lamb with potatoes preceded by a "kiwi" antipasti and all was wonderful. Paul and Barbara are helpful with advice needed to tour the area. Their land is a treat to tour also, visiting the goat and alpacas (ever been kissed by an alpaca?), chickens, and river. Enjoy the deck while sipping a glass of wine and you will also experience perfection at Morepork.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Morepork Riverside Lodge? Share your experiences!