“A wonderful place to stay in Napier. Always the first choice.” 5 of 5 stars

Barrowmeade B&B
79 Avondale Rd | Taradale, Napier 4001, New Zealand   |
Ranked #22 of 45 Napier B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A wonderful place to stay in Napier. Always the first choice.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

We have stayed at Villa Vista twice. The first time in 2009 and again this year. Talk about a wonderful place to stay. It has the feeling that all b&b's should have: that you're staying with family. The family that want to stay with! Tina is very welcoming and accommodating and the atmosphere is wonderfully relaxed, a real home away from home experience. The breakfast is second to none and it changes each day. We chose Napier to get engaged with the knowledge that it will be easy to get to to celebrate anniversaries and that we will always have a perfect place to stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
BUENA VISTA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

We enjoyed a nice stay at Villa Vista. The streets in the Bluff Hill area are narrow and steep, but very workable. There is a nearby Bluff Hill Vista near the B & B which overlooks the
Napier Shipping area. Restaurants are nearby - we enjoyed the GMK for a fresh and healthy lunch. The Marine Parade is great for strolling and provides a few photo ops.
Tina cooks up a wonderful breakfast, changing menus daily. She provides baked sweets in your room fresh daily. We enjoy coffee in the morning before breakfast and she prepared and provided filtered coffee, perked and at our door at the requested time. She also dealt well with diet restrictions. If you are in Napier, do give Villa VIsta B & B a try.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

This review is long overdue as my partner, friends and I have been staying at Villa Vista over Art Deco Weekend for about 5 years or so. Tina and Tim always greet us with the warmest of welcomes and staying with them is one of the highlights of the trip.
Villa Vista itself is a stunningly majestic old home with sublime views over Napier.
The cooked breakfasts are one of my personal highlights - it is not every day I get to dine with a Clarice Cliff dinner setting.
The rooms are clean and tidy, the beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms well appointed.
But it is the little touches that really mean the most. I always take more luggage than you would think humanly possible so Tina sets out extra tables for my hats, bags, gloves and other 'necessities'. I am a keen gardener and always admire the Villa Vista garden. I delight in the fragrant lilies that greet me when I walk in the door and this year Tina gave me some pelargonium cuttings which I am hoping to cultivate so that I have a little memory of Villa Vista in my own garden. I bought some delicate glassware in an op shop and Tina banished me from her kitchen after I came downstairs offering to wash it (as I felt it was a bit over and above the norm to ask her) ;-).
When I do have an extra request (like more coat hangers or a pair of scissors for cutting thread) they are always only too happy to oblige.
Tim has also taken my friends and I for a 'cruise' in his vintage car. We were very honoured.
My partner is particularly fond of the home baking awaiting us in our room each night.
We renew our booking every year without hesitation and I can't wait until Art Deco Weekend rolls around each year to visit and stay with Tina, Tim and Noodle (the cat).

Bellevue
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

We traveled as a couple with an adult daughter. No discount, so $540 for two nights. Not worth the hefty price tag. Stairs filthy. Shower in en-suite was filthy. Second rate bathrooms. Middle of the road decor in rooms. Nice view from room with balcony, but the niehgborhood kids play in the field overlooking the room, and it is very noisy.. Hosts answered questions if pressed, and where unfriendly. Breakfast was excellent. It was the one good point of the place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
tattym, Owner at Barrowmeade B&B, responded to this review, February 11, 2011
This review is quite bizzare ,from a guest who was extremely complimentary during their stay with us.
Loved the house, the garden and the breakfasts . We had several lengthy chats about her garden ,her many roses and delphiniums that were eaten by groundhogs .
So I am quite perplexed that it has been said that we were unfriendly.
We have had 6428 happy guests who have enjoyed very much staying at Villavista and now 1 unhappy over the last 5 years .
We just ask travellers who read this review that they please read our other reviews both on trip advisor and The NZ Bed and Breakfast Book.
We apologise to these guests that were not satisfied with their stay and wished they had voiced this on their arrival so that we could have made right their problems or found them accommodation elsewhere .
Totland Bay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

An old house of real character onthe bluff above Napier. Large rooms, our had a good view over the coast.
Busy house with plenty of guests. Very helpful Hosts who are willing to go the extra yard.
Breakfast is good and wholesome and certainly sets one up for the day.
We are picky; but would strongly recommend Villa Vista for consideration.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

We spent two nights at this delightful B&B. Located in an old Victorian house on the bluff. Very large room. Top notch food and service. Tina, the host, is obviously well versed in how to run an excellent B&B. Good value and highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

The location affords spectacular views of Napier and as one might expect this means it is high on a hill. We found access easy and because we were in a car the hill was no problem. Tina was charming and helpful. The room clean, comfortable and warm . We had plenty of Tea and coffee along with delicious home made treats left for us each day by Tina. The breakfast was just amazing everything you could want to hand plus a delicious full cooked platter each day. We have travelled extensively all over the world and can honestly rate Villa Vista amongst the very best.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Barrowmeade B&B? Share your experiences!