“This hotel was definitely one of the best we stayed in during our whole stay in NZ.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bluewater Hotel

You added Bluewater Hotel to your Saves list
Bluewater Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10 West Quay, Napier, New Zealand   |
Ranked #37 of 47 Hotels in Napier
Big island, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

Our room was a great size, beautiful views over the marina, air-conditioning (which was
fantastic in the extreme heats we had). The restaurant that is on-site had great food and was very reasonably priced. The reception staff were very welcoming and helped us with
their vast knowledge of events in the area. We would definitely recommend to anyone traveling to beautiful Napier.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Indonesian first
New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

Very mediocre and disappinting. The room seemed clean due to a very strong smell of bleach. The walls were thin so you could hear other guests moving about and using the bathroom. No extractor fan in the bathroom so the tiles became very slippery and the shower veered between hot and cold without being adjusted. I am not tall and the shower heal was very low for me so a tall man would have to stoop. The bed was thin and still on castors so it moves about in a quite disconcerting way I travel extensively in NZ on business and using their normal price as agauge expected a far better quality and iit is certainly not a hotel more a multi-storey motel. In short i agree with the previous reviews

• Liked — near airport
  • Disliked — The room, very mediocre and poor value
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Newcastle upon Tyne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

Arrived in Napier on the wrong day - there was an Eric Clapton Concert on at a nearby Winery so all the hotels around Napier appeared to be full. After traveling around Napier for an hour we have seen nothing but 'No vacancy' signs everywhere so decided to ring hotels in Hastings. Our first call to a hotel in Hastings advised us that there was not a Hotel room within 25 miles.

Dejected and quite worried we drove away from Napier to see from the road the Bluewater Hotel sign in the distance. I immediately rang them and was told they had a room - what luck!! It was $280 dollars but I was told in was a 'superior room'. A little pricey I thought but gave credit card details and turned round.

When we arrived we were told it was a two night minimum because of the Concert. This was not a problem because we wanted to see Napier anyway. Well not a problem although I was a little concerned about the staff - they were scruffy and the reception area was untidy and very aged.

The room was worse - it was something out of the 60's but it would have been cheap and tacky in the 60's. The bedclothes were worn out and the furniture was cheap and nasty. The bed was so light (and on castors) that when you sat on it, it moved away from the wall. Very convenient for the cleaners when they do their monthly clean up I’m sure.

The Hotel was quite busy because of the concert - I’m sure most will be last minute bookings as I can't imagine there were any regulars - no one would stay here twice at this price.

Needless to say we left after one night and left them with $560 dollars for an unsatisfactory nights stay.

Other things - the advertised broadband didn't work ("oh yeh, we've been having a few problems with that, isn't it annoying - now clear off I'm doing my nails") I made the nails thing up but it was that kind of response.

Car parking - the hotel car park was full of cars - not just Hotel guests but people using the bar / pokies that is part of the hotel. I was told just "to park round the back" - it says "cars will be towed" this seemed to surprise the staff. "I'm sure it will be fine, we've parked there without any problems". Anyway I didn't chance it and parked on the street outside.

The restaurant was very noisy and the food was basic and bland but relatively cheap. Service was poor as not enough staff - but I concede this may have been because it was an unusually busy time.

Sorry to go on - I could have just said - don't stay here even if it is the only hotel available in Napier but I think its needs more than that.

Avoid this place at all costs!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Auckland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2007

This hotel leaves a lot to be desired with regard to service and standards. Firstly its located in a very unusual part of town - about 7km from Napier City centre, in a "docks" area - where the marina and wharf are. Its probably best described as light industry - with the odd restaurant along the marina side.
The service on check in was very unfriendly, and the staff member offered no welcome, or introduction to the property - there was little interaction except the typical - "can I have your credit card" - with this poor reception we (6 travellers in total) made our way to our rooms - we were promptly greeted with a dated, dirty looking room door. Being a fellow hotelier, I immediately began inspecting the the room, and discovered further faults such as blood stained bed covers, dirty bathroom tiles and the most poorly designed bathroom layout including a shower over spa bath that had no curtain or screen so the entire bathroom was wet when you were done. To top it off, we were doing some washing and drying of clothes in the laundry later in the evening, and the staff locked the door before we had retrieved our goods, when asking one of the staff members for a key we were told there was no one available (at 10pm) and we would have to wait till the morning - subsequently found out that the manager lived on site – but to call him in a non emergency event would cost $50. All in all a disappointing experience - I am sure there are far nicer places to stay in the Napier area.

• Liked — nothing.
  • Disliked — see review
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Bluewater Hotel? Share your experiences!