“Fascinating glimpse of engineering history” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 47 things to do in Napier
Foster, Australia
41 attraction reviews
“Fascinating glimpse of engineering history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Really well laid out museum - on the ground floor working engines and wonderful scientific experiments which you can interact with - kids and blokes would love it. Upstairs history of various occupations - butcher, telephonist, hairdresser etc.

Visited April 2014

Napier, New Zealand
17 attraction reviews
“A gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Hands on museum staffed by the enthusiasts who keep everything working. Something of interest to appeal to all ages.

Visited October 2013
Hastings, New Zealand
44 attraction reviews
“I'm pleased I'm not back in the old days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This fascinating technology museum is one we never get tired and always take our visitors to see.
Very reasonably priced and the volunteer staff are friendly and helpful. The Tessler coil is the piece de resistance but there are many, many more fascinating items, many of them are hands on. There is always some little item to discover that I have missed on a previous visit. Very good value at $9 each.

Visited September 2013
Auckland
“Great hands on little museum.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We visited this little technology museum with two boys aged 10 and 12. Pretty much everything was hands on, from the telephone exchange to the typewriter, the doppler effect machine to the pianola. Kids had a very happy hour investigating everything and learning a good bit of history at the same time.

Visited April 2013
Isle of Lewis, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“Impressive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have stayed in Napier since 2005 and this is the second thing I have done recently that I've never done before. Why? I had been advised to go many times. A friend visiting from the UK is a physicist and I suggested that we might pop in and see what it was like. The volunteer staff are very knowledgeable and helpful and the experience was wonderful for me (elderly!) and my visitor (not elderly). The child in both of us was interested and, in my case quite amazed and in my friend's case most impressed. There are lots of hands-on things for the children (elderly 'children' are allowed to play too) and lots of things from my childhood to reminisce over. The Tesla coil is VERY impressive. I shall go again.

Visited April 2013