“RUDE MANAGEMENT” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Stables Lodge Backpackers

Stables Lodge Backpackers
You added Stables Lodge Backpackers to your Saves list
Stables Lodge Backpackers
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   370 Hastings Street | Napier South, Napier 4110, New Zealand   |
Ranked #22 of 31 Specialty Lodging in Napier
london
“RUDE MANAGEMENT”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I was unfortunate enough to book a night here during the Napier Art Deco Weekend at the last minute at 11.30pm on Thursday evening. At 8am on Friday morning I called to explain that this had been done in error, I understood that there was a cancellation policy but as it was the busiest weekend of the year in Napier with all accommodation fully booked, would they be able to resell the room and not charge me. (obviously, if this wan't possible, I was happy to pay. The cancellation fee is there to protect the hostel from loss of revenue and not being able to fill the room at short notice) This was not just about saving a few dollars it was also about not wanting to waste a free bed in a fully booked town. Several people ended up sleeping on benches in the park that night!
I spoke to someone on reception, who said that it shouldn't be a problem as people had been asking for accommodation all morning. Could I just send an email with my name and details to confirm this. I then spent the next hour or so trying to send this email and getting bounce backs.
I called again and a very offhand woman told me that there was a 24 hour cancellation policy and that I would be charged. So I had wasted my time and phone calls for nothing. I sent an email to the manager at the address she gave me, which gained no response, not even an acknowledgement a few days later.

I was then forced to cancel my booking online, so that at least someone could enjoy the bed. I was charged for this and when I looked online later the bed was resold, so they made their money twice on this and never bothered replying to any of my emails.

I don't usually write bad reviews but I just felt that this place was totally lacking in customer service skills. They sell cheap rooms to backpackers, so they should realise that every penny counts. They should also be more polite and at least respond to their customers. I hope that they leave this business and let someone run it who actually cares about providing a good service.

After travelling for many years, I can say that there are owners of budget accommodation who do a great job, love their clients and go out of their way to accommodate them and help when they can. JUST NOT AT STABLE LODGE!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

the place needs a lot of maintenance / upkeep work done (walls, carpets very dingy), doors don't fit door frames, smell coming from the drain, toilets keep running through the night etc.

We booked a studio that had a 'fold out bed' in addition to a double bed - this is an L shaped hard leather seat against a wall that folds out flat leaving a big ridge down the middle of the 'bed' and is seriously uncomfortable.

Staff keep shrugging their shoulders at questions in a general air of bewilderment. Place needs some management. Office doesn't open until 9am so if you want your $20 key deposit back you have to wait until then. there is a 'ring the bell' option which we did at 8.30am but it was 9 before anyone showed up as per the office hours sign on the door.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Matamata, Waikato, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We were incorrectly booked in a day later than when we arrived. The attendant working the desk could not answer any of our questions about a cancellation policy or refer us to a manager. We stated that we wished to remain booked in until we could find out about how much a cancellation fee would be. We were forced to book into a different hostel (which was incredibly understanding of our situation and very helpful). When we tried to call back later to figure out cancelling, our booking had been completely erased from the system.

Also, from what we saw, the place was a complete mess. Don't go here!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Leeds, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

This hostel is located just a short work from the town centre and 2 minutes from a large supermarket. Theres a nice outside space and sofa area.

The shared rooms are so small, there's only space for 2 bunks and not much more. You do get a light and Shelton by each bed though which is always good.

The WiFi is really fast and sometimes there's free fresh vegetables! So not a bad choice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Not far from the town or bus stop. Very small hostel, one room consisting on kitchen, dining area and lounge. Our dorm had very high albeit sturdy bunks but only one plug socket between 6 people. Bathrooms were clean and spacious. Kitchen rather small, particularly during busy times. Hostel doesn't seem big enough for the amount of people in there. Mostly workers stayed here, not so much for the passing-through traveller. Free wifi, though.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Napier, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Wauw had a great stay at Stables Lodge Backpackers, the rooms were clean as well as the showers and toilets. It was really nice every evening there was something to do: game night, BBQ night, volleybal, touch rugby, campfire night and more! From the backpackers it is a short 5 minute walk to the city center and beach. I really want to go back again to Stables Lodge, it feels like home away from home.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Masterton, Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I absolutely loved my time at Stables! Small, friendly with a fabulous location. Staff was awesome and had theme nights almost every night including BBQ night, international dinner, game night, movie night etc. The owner was there every morning and she was super nice and interested in us. A good feel to the place. Location is fabulous--one block from beach and 3 blocks to town centre. But the best part if FREE, I repeat FREE unlimited wifi!!!!! If you have been backpacking for any length of time in NZ you know what a treat this is. I saw other people check in and they were SO happy! Owner doing a lot of nice upgrades currently to the backpacker including a VIP private ensuite room with a kitchenette and updating the furniture and decor in the common areas. I read previous reviews about rude staff, weird check in system, etc so I asked the owner about it since I experienced NONE of that and actually extended my stay here a couple of times and she said she had new management and systems put into place a few months ago that helped solve those problems. She is super receptive and was listening! The thing you have to remember with a backpacker is that staff overturns frequently as travellers work in exchange for accomodation. I must have come at a very good point as the staff working there were just awesome. Can't say enough good things about my stay here!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Stables Lodge Backpackers? Share your experiences!