“From Brisbane” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Brisbane, Australia
“From Brisbane”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Visiting the Duke when in Napier. Staff aways friendly have had a couple of meals there over the years. Sometime good other times a bit disappointing

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

NZ
“Lovely bottle of NZ Pinot Noir”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Like the great attitude of management and staff at this suburban Napier pub. Lovely bottle of NZ Pinot Noir at a decent price served with grace and style.

Visited September 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Had made a large team booking quite some time out but on arrival found it had not been made! To their credit management did find us tables so we stayed on. Meals were disappointingly average and did not live up to their descriptions.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Depends on Expectations?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I was visiting Napier and took my mother to the Duke for lunch. She lives alone and as she does not cook these days is always eager for an old fashioned roast meal. We chose the Duke because it usually has a daily roast - and indeed the special card showed that there was roast pork available at lunch that day. However, when Mum tried to order it she was told it wasn't ready and wouldn't be for at least another 30 minutes. Why would they have a lunchtime special that isn't ready for lunch? She was very disappointed and if we had known earlier that the lunch special wasn't actually available in time for lunch I would have taken her elsewhere. A very poor show.

That aside, the restaurant is fair to middling. The staff were nice. They were pushed for time with a very large party but still managed to provide reasonable service. At lunchtime I was the youngest customer by about 20 years - and I am by no means young. The Duke is not cheap - middle of the road prices but no bargain. Our food was just okay - not something that you would recommend to others but about what you would expect for this type of restaurant. And probably what their clientele expects given the lunchtime demographic.

On balance there are so many really good restaurants in the area that I won't be going back to this one.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Went here because it was next to where we were staying. The bar staff were friendly but the waitress we had wasn’t overly nice or helpful. I got the lamb main from the specials board & my partner got the seafood platter. Seafood platter was up on the servery within 5 mins and sat there waiting while they prepared the lamb as I am not a stranger to dining out I had found this odd. She presented it and my partners seafood platter (that has been left next to heat lamps for 15mins – this was a little worrying & bad look for them) The lamb meal was on a mash and as I cut into the piece of lamb blood started filling my plate – I am not joking! It was not rare it was raw. They had not even thought to rest the meat so it wouldn’t bleed everywhere let alone cook it enough. The waitress was busy so in the end I went to the bar with my plate & waited. I showed it to her & told her it was raw and she could see the blood all over the mash – it looked absolutely horrific. There was no apology, just a sigh and I asked for the menu again as I couldn’t see myself eating this after seeing the first attempt. She was not in the least trying to make up for being served a plate that looked like a homicide scene. For the rest of the night I copped the “evils” from the chef which pissed me off. Also where my plate had been put out the back seemed to attract a lot of attention. I could see down the hall & the staff would walk by look at where the plate was & mumble to each other & then give me the evils. I ended up getting a scallop entree which I was a little scared to eat after getting the death-stare from the chef! So my partner ate it & I had the smoked fish from his seafood platter, which was nice enough but overall a HUGELY disappointing visit. I hate complaining but this was just poor service matched by poor cooking skills. If you enjoy friendly service & great food – go somewhere else.

• Visited March 2013