“Poor service let the team down” 2 of 5 stars

Ibis Hamilton Tainui
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Alma St, Hamilton 3204, New Zealand   |
Ranked #20 of 63 Hotels in Hamilton
Wanganui, New Zealand
“Poor service let the team down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Firstly the ibis is a very nice modern hotel with clean rooms and good facilities. The day we stayed, however, the service let the team down. We arrived after 11am and our room was not ready. We had committments elsewhere so the receptionist offered to call my mobile when our room was ready. I'm sure she took my number down wrong but got tetchy with me when I tried to confirm this. Subsequently we received no phone about our room being ready. I was told that the hotel would park my car for $20. When we finally got back to the hotel from the convention we were attending, some time around 7 or 8pm, we were told that the valet parking was no longer available for the day and would have to find our own car park in another facility in town. We dealt with two staff and neither were overly friendly or welcoming. I plan to visit Hamilton again soon but will not be staying at the Ibis again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
CPorter1, Manager at Ibis Hamilton Tainui, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear skiffler
Thank you for choosing to stay at Ibis Tainui and for taking the time to post your feedback. I apologise that the service you received did not meet your expectations. This was disappointing to read as we normally I receive very positive comments on the team’s service levels and efforts. I would appreciate it if you took the time to email directly so I could ensure that your next visit exceeds your expectations. I hope to hear from your soon.
h6690-gm@accor.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Indonesian first
Napier, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Easy to find, and handy to everything. Although long waiting times queueing at reception is not what you need after a road trip. Rooms fairly average, quite cramped and more like a hostel. However the restaurant had a lovely outlook and pleasant staff who met our needs gladly and was reasonably priced. However, $20 for valet parking (which isn't mentioned when you book online) and then finding that you have another long wait when you want to leave because the car battery was flat (the valet was the last person in the car!) did not end the stay well. Staff were pleasant but no compensation was offered for our inconvenience. Probably wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Derryn_14
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I apologise that your stay did not meet your expectations and that you were inconvenienced with a flat battery, this has been followed up with the team to ensure more care is taken. I would appreciate it if you took the time to email directly so I could investigate further. I hope to hear from your soon.
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is a great location but this hotel suffers from the IBIS formula of modular formatted rooms which are small and from a frequent travellers perspective very stereotyped - having said that it is in a great location and if you're not staying long it's a good place to stop over.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Narziss
Thank you for choosing to stay at Ibis Tainui during your recent visit to Hamilton and for taking the time to post your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I really couldn't get to like this hotel no character . Very plastic. Food was ok . We were a group and the waiting staff insisted they supervised when each table could go to the buffet at our age we could have organised ourselves! We only stayed there one night and to be honest I would not have wanted to stay longer

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Fran39_12
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I apologise that we did not meet your expectations and I have shared your feedback with the team to ensure improvements are made where possible.
New Plymouth, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you want somewhere to sleep in between whatever you are doing in Hamilton, then this offers good location to the CBD without the traffic noise. Be aware the beds are very firm.
Staff helpful, but small rooms, tiny bathroom and tv so small not worth watching.. unless u have binoculars.
I did not sample the evening restaurant, although others in the group I was with stated they enjoyed their dinner. Buffet breakfast had something for everyone, however if you want a cooked breakfast go for the freshly poached eggs rather than that already cooked and kept warm - as this was rather bland.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear SeanandSueNZ
Thank you for choosing to stay at Ibis Tainui during your recent visit to Hamilton and for taking the time to post your feedback. It is through all feedback that we have the opportunity to improve the service and facilities we offer our guest -therefore yours is important. I have shared your comments with the team.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

More like a motel/guest house in terms of facilities, but great location. When you arrive at the 'hotel' there is no one to greet you and you have to unload your own bags. Reception isn't obviously visible from the exterior & you take the lift to level 1. The rooms are simple but adequate, however they lack a stocked mini bar. There is a limited room service menu, except you have to collect it yourself from the bar. The rooms on one side have a lovely river view, on the other they look out over a car parking building. But still for the $99 we paid per night I wasn't disappointed. Until we came to check out & found that the valet hadn't closed the car door properly & the battery was flat. These things do happen but they still charged us $40 for parking. Two weeks later this has been resolved and I think I'd give the ibis another go

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Nzgirl27
Thank you for choosing to stay at Ibis Tainui and for taking the time to share your feedback. Please note that the ibis is a 3 star property targeted at the economy brand where we pride ourselves of a quality product, everything you need less some of the extra's this is reflected in the price you pay. We therefore do not have certain services that you may expected at higher star rated property such as mini bar, portering service & room service. As I have already expressed on our correspondence, I apologise for the inconvenience regarding your car and as you say this has been settled. I hope to welcome to you to Ibis Tainui again in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I Book this hotel for three night during my New Zealand Trip in February 2013. We come on 7 Feb. To check in we ask at reception by mistake we book here for three night but we want stay only two night because we must take the train to Wellington Saturday and there is no train on sunday . ( we know the booking condition ) so is it possible to have some reduction in breakfast ? The man at the rception said he must ask the manger and he ask and come back and said he said no . I said ok. Then we got the room key and we go to the room , just open the door (a good looking room) the telephone start ringing , I say hello the other end the recption man said to me " sir this is wrong room for you , please come back to reception we give you another room. I go back and got the another room at third floor the room no 391 . We go to the room open the door and what we saw that was first time in my life"" worst room ""with Torn Mattress . That make me absolutely furious I ran back to reception and ask for Manger . He come ( Indian Manger) I ask him are you kidding? Is this a room ?do you want sleep over there ? I show him a picture of room and torn matress which I make with my mobile . He said sorry and give another room with better view at sixth floor.
I think this was the hotel Manger(a Indian) behind this room changing plan. In which he said this was the wrong room and give us terrible room 391. Breakfast not good quality . I stay during my trip in Novohotel Wellington, Queenstown , ibis Christchurch , Langham Auckland I must say top Hotel.
But
Never again ibis Hamilton

• Stayed February 2013
Dear switzerland41
Thank you for choosing to stay at Ibis Tainui during your visit to Hamilton. I apologise that your stay clearly did not meet your expectations. Your comments were very disappointing to read and I have shared them with the team to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. I would appreciate you contact me directly so I may investigate further. I hope to hear from your shortly.
h6690-gm@accor.com

Been to Ibis Hamilton Tainui? Share your experiences!