“Great value and spacious room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Victoria Hotel Suites

You added Victoria Hotel Suites to your Saves list
Victoria Hotel Suites
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   303, Victoria Street, Hamilton 3204, New Zealand   |
Ranked #12 of 20 Hamilton B&B and Inns
Toronto
“Great value and spacious room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed here for a night with a friend and thought it was great value. It might look basic from the outside (white throughout, no decoration), but the room was very spacious and bathroom was nice and clean. It seemed like it used to be a studio apartment and turned hotel. Parking was included and location was excellent - tons of restaurants and cafes on Victoria.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed one night, choosing it because it was in the centre of Hamilton. We stayed in a one-bedroom apartment. The main sitting room with kitchenette was cavernous and badly lit which gave the whole apartment a dingy feel, even though it was perfectly clean and equipped. The bedroom had much better lighting and was more welcoming. The shower room was slightly dated but perfectly fine. The parking is behind the hotel and easy to find once we stopped at the front to check where to go. The entrance from the front and the car park feels like the entrance to a city centre apartment block rather than a hotel (not a problem, just different). The staff were helpful: the hairdryer in the unit sparked while I was using it and they quickly brought me another one. We had a room at the front on a weekend night and it was too noisy - there are a lot of bars in Hamilton and it was a bit too noisy in the early hours. In retrospect one of the key places we were in the area to visit was Hamilton Gardens and therefore it would make sense to stay on the outskirts near them, or around Cambridge.

Room Tip: Say if you need a quiet room as our bedroom at the front was too noisy on a weekend night.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My partner and I had a look at the hotel info online before we arrived in. A woman came down first and told us the price for a night, when I mentioned about the online pricing was a bit different which is cheaper, she said in that case we need to pay $5 booking fee (It clearly says no booking fee on line!) she then went inside of the office quickly typed something on the PC and immediately I can see on my phone that online vacancy is no longer available. HOW DODGY! As soon as I questioned her about the disappearance of 5 available vacancies online, her attitude changed to very aggressive, basically telling us either stay with the price she named or get out. At the same time I have noticed a man in the office started waving his hand to us wanted us to leave. What a 'team work' aye?

We are glad we didn't stay in that place after reading many feedbacks about how dirty the rooms are, guess that's reflection of the owners/staff?

There are many nice motels on Ulster Street if you want a good stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Gisborne, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Booked online. Great price, fantastic service, well appointed. If you want a great room at reasonable rates close to the centre of town you will not do better than this. Friendly hosts and nothing was a problem (not that there were any). Thankyou

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New Plymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I booked this hotel due to wanting to walk around the bars and not have to catch cabs, and found it close enough to all the bars, yet far away enough for there to be no noise heard from the clubs. I arrived about 8.30pm on a Saturday evening yet found a free secure parking space under the building. The room was spacious with modern, comfy decor.
The managers were very friendly, helpful and went out of their way to help. Even though my room didn't have a view, it didn't worry me as I got it at a reasonable rate and left early in the morning. I did find the doves a bit noisy though so if you intend to sleep in - pack some earplugs. I really liked the uniqueness of the artwork too. The building was secure and there is a strict rule to have no parties on site and the managers live on site to be oncall if needed.

Room Tip: Its a little bit of a walk from the car to the reception or lift, so I would recommend taking a whee...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Papamoa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

To be fair to this establishment I never got to stay here. My complaint is about a request upon reservation. Made my booking through Late Rooms.com. I requested an early check in as we had a wedding to attend early afternoon. A fairly reasonable request I would have thought and one which most hotels would be happy to provide. However it was refused as they said they were quite busy that weekend and suggested that I either CANCEL or stay the night before as well. What business today suggests someone CANCEL? Unbelievable ,as to me it was a simple request as the room that was allocated to us could have been first on the housekeeping list the day of our arrival and be ready for us by 12 as requested. Not rocket science, as I told them ,and if they wanted the business it was something they could do easily. (I would have paid a little more for this but it wasnt offered) Whilst I realise I received a good room rate why offer 'special requests', that really arent that 'special' when you are going to refuse for really not a good valid reason!! I understand that they will undoubtedly rent the room out to another, and thereby losing my business is probably no big deal to a large hotel chain, however customer service should be paramount in this business and a negative feedback can have longreaching effects. It is probably a very pleasant place to stay, given the feedback I have read, but I won't ever know this as I have cancelled AS ADVISED BY THE HOTEL! (I wonder if their CEO knows they suggest this to people) If you book here, dont expect any special requests to be honoured. My advise is book somewhere else more accommodating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The staff were very helpful, my bags were not only stored for the day but taken up to my room waiting for me when I checked in. I can't remember when this happened last even at high end hotels. The rooms are fairly plain but have everything you need. The queen studio has a microwave but limited cooking utentsils enough to do breakfast though. There is free wi-fi although it is not hugely fast. Overall great location, handy to everything, plain but pleasant and excellent service.

Room Tip: Try and get one of teh room on the back edge of the building away from the street
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Victoria Hotel Suites? Share your experiences!