“Great start, fizzled out” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Great start, fizzled out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Loved the look of this place and I have to say it was a super strong start.

Our waiter was very attentive, gave really good advice about portion size, fav dishes etc. We had a shared mixed platter to start, which was gorgeous, then as advised shared a main.
We had the lamb, which was okay but a bit bland.

It was at this point that the staff pretty much disappeared. It seemed like it went from several people wandering around to the odd one who wandered past ignoring us.

It was a bit of a shame, but it's not usually hard to get a beer in a restaurant.

I'd have mixed feelings about going back due to the service (or lack there of) during the second half of the meal.

Visited October 2013

ngaruawahia
“spur of the moment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

in town for the day feeling peckish went looking for value as well as flavour saw silk lovely great menu $12 lunch nice setting . pleasant staff.going back green tea to refresh your palate.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
NZ
“Ho hum”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Wouldn't rush to go back to this restaurant. The servings were large but tasteless. I ordered the chili chicken dish with coconut cream. The so called chicken pieces were actually chicken nibbles which still had skin left on the bone and because they were nibbles it was hard to cut off any meat. Hand on heart my meal honestly looked like a dish full of dog food. We ordered a side of fried rice which was tasty. One of the other guests ordered a noodle dish which basically looked like a 'plate full of noodles'. Guess if you order a noodle dish, you have to expect noodles....but a whole plate with just a few prawns thrown in!! The service was ok and we didn't have to wait long although the restaurant wasn't busy and we hadn't booked. We also noticed the couple sitting next to us got up half way through their meal and left. Would we go back? No. Never!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Australia
“Choices from all regions of Asia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I found the menu "middle of the road" - plenty to choose from - not too adventurous taste wise.

The serves are generous: for a solo diner two small dishes would be just right.

Hint: order medium sized mains if dining alone.

My entrée was just warm which was cold by the time I finished. Luckily I requested that main be delivered after the entrée was finished.

My main was the "Mamak Mee Goreng" - it was a huge meal, it was delivered hot to the table and with a bit more "hot" flavour would have been really good. Suffice to say it was ok although I could do it justice as I wasn't able to finish the regular size.

There was one "side" that I do recommend, try the "Boonjo Spicy Peanuts" - just right - not too hot, very nice indeed.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Wonderful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Great restaurant. The tasting platter was a great shared entree for 4 people. Likewise the mains were a decent size. Both couples came away with doggy bags for our lunches as the mains portions are large. Prawns in Nestum Cereal and Curry Leaves are wonderful! I was disappointed with the sticky black rice pudding, it wasn't sweet enough, and was like a large bowl of rice and red beans swirling in coconut - like a strange soup! That was odd, but not enough to ruin a lovely dinner in a lovely location. And the price was actually reasonable considering it's location

• Visited June 2013