“very different but good....!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Hamilton
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Three Leg Frog is a premier Chinese restaurant in Hamilton. We pride ourselves on serving traditional Chinese food, using fresh local ingredients(with no MSG). Guests can enjoy fantastic service, experience delicious traditional Chinese cuisine with a great wine selection. Relax in comfortable surroundings whilst enjoying Chinese culture. Group buffet available 10+ please ask!!! Private Functions Weddings Large Group bookings welcome
Hamilton, New Zealand
“very different but good....!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

lunch on a Saturday with 2 hims and 2 hers.
Walking in, it was obvious that the restaurant was not quite open. However, the owner/manager wlecomed us and took us inside. There was 1 waiter and 1 chef on site.
The decor was very very differend but oh so comfortable, excellent art (by a local chinese artist) and a couple of "terracoutta warriors" to admire among other bits and pieces
Heaps of room between the very impressive and solid carved wooden chairs & tables.
The menu although not running to many pages covered most tastes and had Lunch "specials" that appeared to be very reasonable.
Prices for other items appeared average.
between us we had, 1 entree', 3 mains from the main menu and 1 "lunch special"
Portions were HUGE, consequently making the prices very very reasonable as we could have had 2 dishes and still had enough for the 4 of us. THe food was delicious and surprisingly a bit different to "normal chinese" dishes.
A couple of wines from an average wine list, an apple juice and a tomato juice rounded out the drinks, average prices but the two juices were absloutely tops....!!
Overall a very pleasant experience,we would have no hesitiation in returning.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Back Again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Lovely meal and wonderful service. If you've only experienced Chinese Takeaways - these meals will really impress. Not greasy, plenty of meat, not overloaded on vegetables. Decent sized meals and great for sharing.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Third visit to the" frog "and still excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I recommend eating Chinese style, that is sharing dishes to get best variety; definitely order the prawns. While decor is reminiscent of X'ian food leans a bit towards the fusion style. It was all good.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Get me a drink..... pleeaassee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

The wait staff were very friendly but didn't follow through with the service, we ordered our drinks and food, after 10 mins I asked if the drinks were coming first so she went away and after 5 minutes brought my husbands drink, he asked where mine was and was told it would be coming, a few minutes later I asked her where mine was and she said only the young guy behind the bar could make a cocktail, all in all I waited at least 20 minutes for my drink, if they had been more onto it I would have been ordering another one by then, my husbands meals was lovely, I ordered sizzling beef, it was too hot for me, it was burning my mouth out, she said that they toned it down for Kiwis, it would have been hotter for Asians, I didn't really enjoy it, but the staff were lovely and good prices and my friend goes a lot and loves it

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Nice evening out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Had a lovely evening out with friends at this restaurant. Surprised to read previous reviews as our evening was very enjoyable with good service and great food. We ordered several entrees and mains and shared these.

We all enjoyed our food and the relaxed atmosphere.

• Visited June 2013