“Convenient and friendly” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 63 Hotels in Hamilton
Auckland
“Convenient and friendly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

We bought the Special which was $180 including 3 course dinner and breakfast for two and a bottle of wine. I have read the previous reviews and agree yes the place is not the cleanest in the world but it was ok. What we did like was the convenience of the restaurant on-site and the friendliness of the people. For example the pool opens "whenever you want to swim" and closes "when the last person has swum" which is a nice change from other places that have rules that limit how much you can use the facilities and when. Dinner was good, the lamb shanks done really well. The wine bottle took about 30 minutes to get open, the waitress/bar person had never seen a bottle with a cork in it in her life before and had never heard of a corkscrew, and when one was summoned from the office, no-one knew how to use it. Rather funny actually, a bit Fawlty Towers. TV was on all the way through dinner and breakfast and we were asked what we wanted to watch, rather homely indeed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

Stayed for 1 night with my partner and parents in law. the place was basic but clean and had the usual motel feel about it. We chose to stay there as they had a onsite restaurant which was convieniant for my in laws. when we arrived at the restaurant we sat down and were given the drinks and food menus. My partner (who is a diabetic) asked for a Coke Zero only to be told they did not have coke zero! - when my father in law ordered the beef lasagne from the dinner specials menu he was told yes thats a good dish however 10 minutes later was told that they had run out of lasagne!! even though the restaurant had only been open 15 minutes when we arrived!!. He then had to change his order and when everyone else got there food my father in law had to wait and wait while his food was being cooked - we had all finished by the time he got his meal! IF that was not bad serviced enough both my food (fish and chips) and my partners food (butter chicken) tasted horrid! - my fish tasted off and the chips were hard and looked to have been cooked in old oil, my partners butter chicken tasted terrible also and he had to leave most of it. We were then charged $120 for our meals which we thought was outrageous (the room only cost $180) - we may of well have gone to one of the many restaurants in Hamilton Central and had 3 course meals each for that price! the next morning we thought we would go there for breakfast - I mean no one can stuff up toast and breakfast foods surely! well was I mistaken, I got the hot cakes which cost $15 and I got 3 little hot cakes 1 bannana and 1 bit of bacon for my $$. my partner got the "grosvenor special" for $15 which consisted of 1 tomatoe, 3 of the tiniest sausages i have ever seen - smaller than cherios! 2 eggs, 2 hash browns and 2 pieces of toast.
I would NEVER NEVER recommend using the restaurant if you ever stay here it is over priced and the food is below poor. With regards to the accommodation itself, if you stay on the ground floor its ok as long as there are not loads of people and children in the units above you as the noise from walking around and up and down the stairs is deafening. a very average stay indeed :(

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Georgetown, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We booked a studio room for the final night of our tour of New Zealand. We received a friendly welcome on arrival by Deepak, received our milk but were not shown to our room. It was on the first floor & we were able to park at the bottom of the stairs, so didn't have far to take our bags.

The room was large, with fresh pale yellow colour walls, & had a queen size bed. There was also a desk, chair & TV and a 2-seater sofa. There was provision to make tea & coffee, & a bowl for our cereal, but no facilities for washing up. There was a ceiling fan, & a heater provided in the wardrobe. The wardrobe contained the iron & board, & after doing our laundry, went to use them but the iron plate was burned & the board cover was obviously designed to fit a very much larger board: I gave up on the ironing.

Laundry - purchase a pack of powder (NZ$2 I think), & pay for washer & dryer - I think NZ$4 each load.

Wifi - available at NZ$5 for 24 hours. It was fast & usable.

Bathroom - corner spa bath (jaccuzi) for 2 people if you want. Shower head over bath, & shower curtain round bath. I'm 5'4"/1.63m & the shower head was at my eye level - had to duck down to get my short fair hair wet. The bath & basin were peach-coloured & were looking old & tired.

Bed - looked OK, but when we turned the cover down late at night to sleep, we noted that the sheets & pillowcases hadn't been ironed. Gave it no further thought until I looked in the morning & found 2 long black hairs in the bed. My hair is as mentioned above & my husbands is non-existent. We'd like to give the benefit of the doubt that the hair belonged to the room maid & that she doesn't iron the linens, but somehow we have the thought in our minds that we were not the first to sleep in that bedding. We also noted several screwed up pieces of paper under the bed.

There is a restaurant on site & prices looked reasonable, but we chose to walk about 10 minutes to Speights Ale House. There are also supermarkets & liquor stores near to Speights.

When we checked out, we advised Deepak of the ironing problems, but didn't mention the hair - not a happy thought for the start of our last day in New Zealand

If it hadn't been for the bedding, I'd have given Grosvenor a Very Good rating.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

Slept very well for five nights in this very clean and comfortable motel. Despite being an older motel and not one I would necessarily have chosen myself (was here for work) I was highly impressed and found it a nice place to stay for a week with all needed amenities. The breakfasts were also very good - particularly the scrambled eggs. I stayed in a room to the rear of the premises which was very very quiet - not sure what the front rooms are like that face the road. Would happily stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

I cannot believe the recent good reviews are about the same Motor Inn, I could not disagree with them more.
We stopped there for 1 night (Thank God it was only one) in Feb 2011 with my family who were visiting from overseas.
Don't let the exterior or their website fool you.The two-bedroom unit with a lounge was painted in a dark mustard colour with yellow curtains (hung a different lengths on the same window) it was so dark we had to put the light on during the middle of the afternoon. The curtains had to remain closed because there were no net curtains to stop every passer by looking into the unit.
My sister found a flea in the bedding, the pillow cases were so stained she wrapped the bath towels around them before attempting to sleep.
The whole place was sweltering hot with no air-conditioning or fans. The expel air fans in the kitchen & bathroom didn't work, the shower was so small we couldn't bend over enough to wash our legs (I’m 55 kg). It simply went on & on.
When we gave the feedback to the Indian male manager he replied we had been given a good room rate & he had never had any bad feedback like this before & would offer no recompense. He simply couldn't have cared less. My family were astounded & I was embarrassed to have taken them to such a shabby place.
During our trip we stayed at many similar (and cheaper) priced motels in the Bay of Islands, Rotorua & Taupo all of which were a million times better than this.
Do yourself a favour, if this is the only motel available within your budget spend the money on a tent, you'll be more satisfied with the outcome.

Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

Well priced accommodation with great location & friendly service. I saw them on various last minute websites and got a better deal at their own website. The staff at check-in was cheerful and we felt genuinely welcome. They gave us more and better guidance than the local information site and also provided with a free map and book about local information. The studio room was cosy, adequate and much better than our expectations at the time of booking. We stayed here for a week and found the restaurant and room service convenient and time saving to use. We are used to sleeping in a very quiet place and appreciated that the room complied and had no road noise. The Wi-Fi was fast and cheap as chips. We enjoyed all of the facilities and must say that the location is excellent. It is also around the corner from Waikato Stadium, Domino’s, Liquor store, Pak 'n' Save, KFC and The Helm Restaurant so the location for me was really good. If you plan to go to the Casino the motel will arrange a free courtesy coach in the evenings. Late checkout at 12:00 noon also came handy after a night out. The heated salt water swimming pool should be cooler for summer, but the temperature of spa in my room could be adjusted. Overall for the price and location, it is exceptionally good value and therefore I can recommend this place in Hamilton.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

Location is good and surprisingly quiet given that it is on a main through road.The owners were most helpful and pleasant but the two bedroom unit was very basic, small and dark. The shower/ toilet was barely adequate.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Been to Grosvenor Motor Inn? Share your experiences!