“Yummy Kai and staff who know their stuff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 19 Activities in Gisborne
Type: Wineries, Food & Drink
New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
“Yummy Kai and staff who know their stuff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Excellent! I was meeting friends who had arrived before me and I was welcomed with a brilliant welcome smiling from staff. The eats were fresh, local and ever so yummy. The wine selections were varied and yummy. Lots of information about the wineries. We stayed longer than we had planned then decided on coffee which wasn't as good as the wine or the eats. All in all a lovely experience a great setting and friendly and knowledgable staff

Visited March 2013

Martinborough, Wellington, New Zealand
5 attraction reviews
“Worth a visit for the location alone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I went here alone before dinner and ordered option number 2 with a beer to cleanse the palate. The Arneis was the standout with the Malbec second. The Viognier was a nice. The Chardonnays could probably be blended to make a better chardonnay but they were a bit cold. Nice to have two chardonnays that were distinctly different. The beer was lovely. And the cost - only $12 for the rack! I thought they had made a mistake - and I got 10% off with my TOP 10 Holiday Park club membership.

If I didnt need dinner I would have continued on to the other tasting option. Next time.

Visited April 2013
Taranaki
“Not impressed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We went to the Wine Centre because it was advertised as the one place to go to experience all the best of Gisborne wine. My husband is a real fan of buttery oaked Chardonnays. We went to the Wine Centre and they had tasting 'Flights' we asked which one would have the type of Chardy that my husband likes and were advised to have 'flight 1' it consisted of five wines, two Chardonnays neither of which was oaked or buttery. We then decided to find a wine bottle from the display area that had the characteristics that he likes. We found one that had a price label of $28 on the shelf so duly ordered that to drink and were astonished to be charged $42. The explanation was that the price on the wine shelf was for 'take out'. There was no sign saying this at all. We were very disappointed and left. The staff do not know their wine. My advice is to go to the cellar door. The Gisborne Wine Cellar is just a glorified wine bar.

Visited April 2013
Augusta, Maine
“great spot to sample the best wines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I have been visiting the wine center every year since it opened. the location is on the harbor in Gisborne so a bit off the main street, but I like the location. If you are looking to explore Gisborne wines it is a great place to stop as you can book your tour (did one last year) and also sample a variety of the local wines. You do have to pay for the tasting, but you also don't have to drive around to the different vineyards either. a flight of wine (6 glasses) is far less than I would pay for a single glass of wine at a restaurant. Get a flight, relax and enjoy! See what wines you like, talk to the staff and then book a tour or go visit your favorite vineyard and meet the owners! The staff is friendly and helpful. they also make great coffees!

The center is sponsored by the wine companies, btw, so you don't pay any more for bottles at the wine center and the owners do frequent the center as well... so you never know who you will meet - although they are usually there earlier in the day.

they have started doing a lot more social events in the evenings and it is a great place to meet for a drink or two with friends before going out. they also hire out the venu for private events now, which sometimes makes the evening unavailable.

Visited March 2013
Utrecht, Holland
10 attraction reviews
“Great wine tasting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

The Gisborne wine center was hopping on a Saturday evening. Lots of folks and a great atmosphere. The food was tasty and the wine flight excellent for the price you pay