“Barry, Ros' and their B&B is NZ putting its best foot forward!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Surf City Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gisborne
Surf City Lodge
You added Surf City Lodge to your Saves list
139 Rutene Road, Gisborne, New Zealand   |
Wellington, New Zealand
“Barry, Ros' and their B&B is NZ putting its best foot forward!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

What a great place to stay in, had a enjoyable evening chat with two lovely hosts, a GReat brekkie (loved the thick fruit smoothie) and wonderful attention to detail - a real high bar set for other NZ B&Bs in this and higher price ranges.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My first time to Gizzy was wicked! I needed somewhere fairly cheap to stay for the weekend and I found these guys - $50 a night (off season) was a sweet deal! Stayed with Barry and Ros for the weekend and although I was in and out alot they were awesome! Very hospitable couple, offered alot of knowledge about the area and were indeed very helpful. I was greeted with a cup of tea and had a bit of a yarn and watched the rugby with them before turning in. My first morning was a whirlwind on my part but the hearty breakfast I had was just amazing! I love my food so I was definately blown away with it - was exactly the start I needed for the day. I would definately reccomend Surf City Lodge - friendly hosts I know where I'm staying on my next visit to Gisborne. :)

Josh - Hamilton, NZ

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
new zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

In 25 years of traveling, in about 47 countries, I don't think I have found better value for money. Barry and Ros have a lovely home and act as great hosts. A delicious 3 course meal with wine was provided, as was a sumptuous breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I visited Gisborne at a time there was a lot of pressure on accommodation, and I'm so glad to have found this place and not a hotel or motel! Barry and Ros were like an aunty and uncle, making sure I was looked after in every way. A gorgeous cooked breakfast was slightly different each day. A lovely room in a lovely house - character plus!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Waiheke Island, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Surf City Lodge was a great place to stay on a recent visit to Gisborne. Warm greetings when we arrived from Mine Host, Barry. Surf City Lodge is a large 1920’s Californian bungalow that has been restored to its original beauty.

The bedrooms are on the first floor. We had to share our room with a large yellow surf board but it did not snore so it was not a problem. Snacks and nibbles in the room along with TV and, always a winner with this traveller, free Wi-Fi.

The bathroom is a guest shared facility across the hall, with a wonderful old style bath, basin and toilet. The only downside was if you wanted a shower this was located on the ground floor, bathrobe supplied.

Barry is a very good chef and we took advantage of his delicious and reasonably priced dinner, two courses for $20.00 including wine. As if this was not enough in the morning Barry served up a fantastic cooked breakfast, as he put it “enough to keep you going all day”

I cannot say higher than next time I am in Gisborne I would stay at Surf City Lodge.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Well it was just what I needed, lovely welcome, great place, amazing food. If I come back to NZ I would go straight to Barry's place. The slogan should be "Barry's best" or "Barry does it again" !, I wouldn't hesitate one minute to suggest to others to stay there. Thank you again for a great stay Barry and Ros.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights during the RWC in late September 2011.

We had just finished walking the Lake Waikaremoana trail, and I can't think of a better place we could have rested up. Barry and Ros, knowing we were coming from the trail, had hot food and drinks waiting for us. They instantly made us feel right at home, and were able to give us plenty of tips on stuff to do for our short stay in Gisborne.

A big highlight... Barry's cooking was amazing. We spend 2 months driving around NZ, and the meals we had here honestly beat any restaurant or hotel that we stayed at.

Also got the chance to watch the All Blacks beat the pants off of France with Barry on there giant TV!

If we're ever back in NZ, this is the first place we're going.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Surf City Lodge? Share your experiences!