“Best cafe in town” 5 of 5 stars

Description: http://www.facebook.com/people/Winemakers-Daughters/1673632017
Gisborne
“Best cafe in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Top for coffee, gorgeous old cups, plates and cutlery and delicious old fashioned baking. Hard to beat.

Rotorua, New Zealand
“Smug rude staff. Delicious food.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

We were in Gisborne around the new year period, which by all accounts was very busy, putting the cafe under a bit of pressure, which we were expecting.
However we were not expecting the 'welcome' we got from a rude smug staff member trying her best to make us not eat there, as they were closing soon (in two hours) and there didn't appear to be any space for us according to her.
We suggested splitting our group in half and sitting at two different tables which suited us fine, to which we were given a snarky reply "i guess, whatever".
We ordered our food and proceeded to wait for an hour and a half to be served. We werent too worried about it, as we expected a bit of a wait. This was only one of the tables orders however, and the other table was told the pizza would be another 5 minutes, which was fine. 5 minutes later we were given a bowl of free chips and told it would be yet another five minutes, which really was too long, and some members waiting asked the waitress if they could cancel their order as they had already been waiting an hour and a half and werent feeling too well and wanted to go home, to which the waitress apologised and said it was fine.
The rest of us waited for our order. Two minutes later the rude blonde staff member who 'greeted' us, came up to the table and demanded our friends come back and pay for their order immediatley as their food had already started to be prepared. I was absolutley gob smacked. We explained the situation and told her that the other waiterss said it was fine.
The tone of her voice and attitude was completely unprofessional and did not match the lovely vibe and food standard of this cafe. We complained to the manager who apologised profusely to us for her behaviour, and said she was new. A staff member who has no manners, no customer service ability, and an attitude problem is not someone who should be a part of this business.
The food was great when it did finally arrive, and we were given free food for our wait which was lovely. The other staff members were friendly and accomodating. A pity one person has to ruin everyones experience.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Probably not the norm, but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011 via mobile

I went here with a couple of friends. The service wasn't anything special, and nor was the food. I had the most tasteless sirloin I had ever tasted. It was also quite noisy, and they must have been having trouble with their alarm which kept going off every few minutes and just about blew your eardrums out every time.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Wellington
“What a wonderful cafe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

I cannot recommend this cafe highly enough: it's that good! Excellent coffee, excellent food made with top ingredients, charmingly decorated, airy and light inside and with outdoor seating as well. I discovered this place by chance while walking my dog, and had coffee and a scone, both excellent, and the lovely waitress brought my dog some water. I returned with my partner for lunch and sat inside. The food was again excellent, I had the ploughman's lunch, with pate served in a quaint little teacup, and my partner had a lamb salad. The was a business meeting at one table, while mother's with young children sat at another. A very natural inclusive atmosphere! We went back for breakfast the next day, and again the food and service was top notch. Really wonderful place, and I will definitely be going back next time I'm in Gisborne.

• Visited March 2011