“the best steaks ever” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 1,419 Restaurants in Auckland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: “The steakhouse to end all arguments”The Jervois Steakhouse or JSH to its regulars opened in 2006 with a 5 star rating as New Zealand’s first premium steak restaurant and continues to exceed customer expectations. We could, as most web sites do, talk about ourselves in a very complimentary tone, but guess what - we are not the hero, the meat is.So here’s just a tipple of why customers love the Jervois experience:Steaks to die forSimply the bestFood heavenBest steakhouse in AustralasiaHighly recommended, highly anticipated and even more highly appreciated
“the best steaks ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

You want a steak,great service and nice atmosphere-this is the place to go.
Best steaks in Auckland cooked to perfection.We had a great night with excellent service and a lot of fun.
The rib eye for two was divine enjoying it with nice glass of red wine.will def come back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
trevor b, Manager at Jervois Steak House, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Hi BJBG

Thank you for taking the time to post on trip advisor

Great to hear of your evening and look forward to carving you your next Rib eye for two.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great experience, but .......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Last night was our daughters 20th birthday, so my wife and I thought we would take her somewhere special. On arrival we were shown to the bar, where I had a Margarita ($18), daughter a Bourbon Sour ($16) and my wife a virgin "house" cocktail ($20) - she was driving.. All were artistically concocted in front of us, and were superb.
We were taken up to our table a little later, and I had the view out of he window onto the forecourt of the service station across the road. The girls looked at a big picture of a Cow showing all the cuts of meat! The place is noisy, and echoes rather badly, and we had the misfortune to be in the same rom as a very happy guy who laughed like a Hyena on steroids. Still, we did not let the noise spoil our evening.
The waiter, straight out of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with his sideburns and English accent was knowledgeable, humorous and excellent value.
Entrees were beyond good. My daughter and I had the Calamari Schnitzel (($20.50 each) which were unbelievably wonderful. Wife had the Caprese Salad ($21.50) which she thoroughly enjoyed.
The desserts were also superb. I had the Spanish Chocolate Fudge Figs ($16.50) which were divine. Daughter had Orange Honey Creme Caramel ($16.50) which was so good her eyes glazed over. My wife said the Pineapple Delight ($16.50) was to die for.
Now here is the but...... This is called a Steak House and I had the signature dish, The 450gm Prime Rib, for which I gave the required 24 hours notice. The steak was tasty, but I had to work hard to eat it and I left a small mountain of fat and gristle on the plate. At $53.50, I have to say it was was well below my expectation. Daughters Petite Angus Eye Fillet ($39.50) was exceptional, and my wife rated her Jervois Cut Eye Fillet On Bone ($42.50) as tasty, but not by any means the best steak she has had.
Of course, all sides are extra! The Onion Rings, Roast Beetroot and Steakhouse Fries (all$7.50) were as good as you could get - we enjoyed them all.
We drank a couple of glasses of Red Australian Syrah ($14 / glass) which complemented our meal nicely.
I had the only hot drink after the meal, a weak, luke warm, hot chocolate for $4.50.
The total cost of the meal for the three of us was $380.00 which included a tip.
Nice experience, rather expensive and we will remember the Entrees and the desserts as the standouts, and the steaks as just OK ( except for Daughter who loved hers).

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
trevor b, Manager at Jervois Steak House, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Hi Steve

Thank you for taking the time to review us as this a great opportunity to fine tune what we do.

The non-alcoholic cocktail should only be $10 each.
Some coffee/hot chocolate training will be done.

I have taken the concerns regarding the King Prime to the head chef and will be keeping an eye on the quality of this.

Many thanks
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Big Hearty Steaks and More”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This steakhouse offers more than just the amazing big hearty steaks includingt the tomahawk which u need to order ahead. Great place for couples or corporate and the service is simply fantastic. The other dishes are also boom from all the entrees and other mains. The sides and sauces are also so memorable.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
trevor b, Manager at Jervois Steak House, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Hi Shaun

Great to hear your excitement about your last visit at our restaurant and thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor. we look forward to serving you your next " tomahawk " steak.

Kind Regards
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Absolutely fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Have always wanted to try JSH and finally did so on a Grab one deal. The service was welcoming and friendly. We were never once made to feel 'second rate' using a voucher. The maitre'd was attentive but not 'in your face'. He offered suggestions with food and wine choices with obviously extensive knowledge of both. The steak was probably the yummiest I've ever tasted and cooked to perfection. (it was also the largest eye fillet I've ever seen) we could hardly eat our sides we were so full, and sadly couldn't face the dessert menu!!!!!
I would definitely eat here again - even at full price it is great value - and have already recommended it to others

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
trevor b, Manager at Jervois Steak House, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hi Leanne

Thank you for your kind words!
we look forward to serving you again.

Regards
“Top notch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The service and steaks were top notch. The staff were very accomidating to my families special needs. Our experience was as good as it gets.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
trevor b, Manager at Jervois Steak House, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you taking the time to review us.
Great to that the "staff were very accommodating to my families special needs" and look forward to repeating this experience for again in the future.

Kind regards