“Underwhelmed” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Auckland, New Zealand
“Underwhelmed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have been going to Zarbo for years and I have to say I was very underwhelmed by my recent experience. I ordered breakfast which including coffee came to about $18.50. I was one of 2 people in the café and was starting to wonder if they had forgotten my order when after receiving my coffee it took about 15-20 minutes for the breakfast to come. When it did I received 2 very small poached eggs on one thick piece of toast. The crusts were too hard to cut with my knife - and in fact one of them went flying off the plate when I tried to cut it and the very attractive swirl of butter was so hard and cold it was impossible to use it to butter the toast. I was disappointed.

Visited May 2014

Auckland, New Zealand
“Best Breakfast Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had the best breakfast ever this morning at Zarbo.
Absolutely delicious. We will be going back with friends very soon.
Well done Zarbo AAA

Visited May 2014
Auckland
“woeful service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Although not busy at 1.25pm on this Saturday, Zarbo reached a new low in Kiwi schoolgirl service.

My wife's omelette was conveyed out of the kitchen by a very young girl. We watched her (not suspecting for a moment that the meal was ours!) and she drifted here and she drifted there, she had a yarn with another waitress, she drifted back to the central counter, she showed no sign of urgency or awareness that the meal would be getting colder and colder. She grinned a lot. She dallied. She circumnavigated the café again.

After 10 minutes (timed) she eventually realized that our table had the required number. It was always in plain view.

Result= one cold omelette, great surprise at the complaint.

As for my meal? They forgot to cook it at all. Got a grudging refund.

What a disaster. Why do cafes hire children as wait staff?

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
ROTORUA
“Not a stand out”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Disappointed in brunch at Zarbo, Have borrowed the recipe books of a colleague and was quite excited when my brother in law had found Zarbo as a choice of cafe for brunch after a morning browsing the shops in Newmarket. It was very busy and quite a queue for service. My daughter had ordered crepes with bacon and banana and myself the bagel with basil, avocado etc. It took quite a long time for the meals to be served. So long that the other family members we were with that had selected cabinet lunches were finished by the time we received our meals. The crepe was a single crepe ( I dont know what had been done with it but it was very crispy/dry around the outer edge) with a small banana and the usual amount of bacon. So overpriced. The bagel was uninteresting. Would not return in a hurry.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“One of the best delicatesan cafes i Auckland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Zarbo has been around for more than 10 years large space with excellent fresh salads. Good tea and coffee and plenty of seating. Weekdays you will struggle to get in after noon.

• Visited August 2013