“Pretty Average place - with good food” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #414 of 1,419 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: Bar, Coffee Shop, Wine Bar, New Zealand
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene
Chesterfield, UK
“Pretty Average place - with good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

Visited here in December 2009 mainly because of the locaion right on the Quay. It's a pretty typical city bar/cafe with all the usual steaks, seafood etc. Although the service and atmosphere are very average, the food was very good.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Great location & yummy food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

The setting of this restaurant down by the harbour is great and the service is excellent. The food is really yummy, so much so that we came here twice during our stay in Auckland.
Tip - go when its happy hour 4pm to 7pm, you save a lot on the drinks, beer is only $5 and wine $4.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Can't say I will go back given the chance...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

I was walking around Auckland downtown for a while and in the end, I just wandered into this Waterfront Cafe. Somehow I was just trying to following my gut feeling, but it let me down this time.

The menu was appealing. There was seafood, pasta, steaks. Strange that there is also Mexican food here (enchiladas). Maybe that was a clue for me to step away, as this was supposedly a seafood restaurant. Why are enchiladas on the menu? Mind you, I will eat enchiladas, but from a Mexican restaurant, not a local New Zealand seafood restaurant.

I ordered 1/2 dozen pacific rock oysters on the half shell. These were fresh tasting, although the opening job on these oysters needed work. There were shell fragments in a few of them and one of them had a major chip in the shell with the chipped piece sitting in the oyster itself. I actually open oysters better than this.

For my entree, I ordered the snapper fillet on shitake risotto. It had promise when I was reading the description on the menu. The waiter also told me that this restaurant specializes in seafood. But alas, I was let down when it arrived.

The snapper was slightly over cooked. The risotto was VERY watery. It was almost like eating rice with soup. Unless this is a local way of making risotto, I felt that this should not even have left the kitchen. Where is Gordon Ramsay?

As for service, no one asked me how my meal was throughout my stay. Ok...when the waitress came over to collect my plate of unfinished risotto, she asked me. I said "Actually, it was pretty bad."

Her answer was "Oh." and then proceeded to take my plate into the kitchen. The obvious question I have is...Why even ask?

Anyway, I don't think it is cheap. I would say average price for a restaurant claiming to be a seafood place. The total price was NZD47, which included the above and a glass of vodka as well.

Like I said, I don't think I will be going back given the chance. Since I do not live in Auckland, I don't think that is going to be difficult.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Pretty reasonable prices...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

Pretty reasonable prices - pub size servings

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“very good need to book to get in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2007

very good need to book to get in