“Great View and Excellent Service” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Mosgiel, New Zealand
“Great View and Excellent Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Our waitress was Italian and very attentive, so good that we gave her a tip! The fillet steak was cooked medium-rare perfectly, the vegetables were understated and delicious, my daughter's pizza was tasty with a crisp crust to munch on, the Peroni on tap complimented our meals admirably, what is not to like? The view and open-air dining on a warm evening were most enjoyable, I can highly recommend this restaurant!

Visited March 2014

• Slovak first
Hannover, Germany
“It's ok, but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

The view is fantastic, situated in the viaduct. Also the wine was good, but we were a bit disappointed with the food. It didn't taste like real Italian food. For the price we expected a bit more

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Staff tired and unfriendly with the wrong attitude - one bright light.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

I could write a lot about our disappointing experience but will keep it as short as our intended patronage of Portifino will be - never again.
We were dining late (8.40pm), had our 8 year old with us and totalled 5, counting the adults. We are from the Hawke's Bay and count as our locals Mint (Napier) and Craggie Range and Black Barn (Havelock North). We like good food and friendly service, neither were apparent at Portfino. The waitress appeared completely disinterested in serving us, another brusquely told one of our party to shift their chair so she could get through - when there was a big enough gap. Food was really average and over priced. The only bright light was after we paid and a lovely, smiley British girl (whose first night it was - I know this only because I thanked her for lifting our experience) asked our daughter how her evening had gone? And engaged us at a very basic, but courteous level. Too late guys. The rest of you stink! This is a restaurant that trades on its location at the expense of fundamentals. Surely half the fun of being in hospitality is being hospitable? WARNING: Do not dine there. Save your money and walk on by. I just wish I had taken the few minutes it takes to read all the other Tripadvisor reviews and done the same myself.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Fantastic and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Awesome place, great food, loved the location on the water in the viaduct.
Prices were on par with city charges so cant complain there.
Our waitress from Macedonia was delightful and super helpful.
Shame about the manager, he couldnt manage a smile despite our best efforts and the amount we paid! As well as glaring at us the whole time he cast a very uncomfortable shadow over the whole place.
Will gladly come again, but the manager will get a few friendly suggestions next time!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Spaghetti Vongole”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Such a shame, a lovely venue, but the food ????? and the owner, a man cannot say gentleman from Macedonia, extremely rude. A dish of Vongole "spaghetti with clams" served with 6 clams only, when questioned, the owner coming to our table and saying "you have never eaten Vongole before so you don't know what it should be", um excuse me, I have been to Italy more than 20 times and eaten Vongole and then he was so rude and extremely condescending to my colleague, I actually lost the plot and called him an A------e to get him to leave our table and stop insulting us. A big thank you to the staff who were visibly embarrassed by their owner's behaviour, as I said such a shame.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere