“A nice night out” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Number 5 Restaurant is an elegant dining restaurant in central Auckland city.We are famous for our passion of New Zealand food and our huge selection of boutique New Zealand wines.It is the perfect place for visitors to Auckland to come and experience dining at its best.As well as our fantastic food and comprehensive wine list, we pride ourselves on our exceptional service. Past guests have included the Rt. Hon. Helen Clark, Her Royal Highness, Princess Anne, Burt Bacharach and Sir Sean Connery.If you find yourself dreaming of a white Christmas, but always have your desires foiled by a little thing called the Southern Hemisphere, then Number 5 has something that might help to make your wishes come true.
“A nice night out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

It has been awhile and I had forgotten to get on here to share my experience.

My fiance had obtained a degustation course through grabone to try the place out and the staff treated us just as normal patrons and gave us equal attention. The venue is small, but the opened windowsade the place feel bigger.

The courses were just the right size and we were pleasantly full by the end of it. Each one was explained with just enough detail by the waiter without drawing it out or boring us.

We will go again this year.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Good stuff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Next to where we were staying and good meal and would recommend to people. The service was great but was a little on the pricey side.

Visited January 2014
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Good food but could be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

This used to be one of my favourite restaurants, but the last time I was here it was a bit stuffy. The food was good, but the overall experience just wasn't as special as I remember it being.

Visited April 2013
Tauranga
“You Need to do Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

As you are ranked in the top restaurants in Auckland it is UNBELIEVABLE that when I ordered a bottle of wine, you present us with an opened bottle with 150 mls missing and say, "As it is the last bottle you can have this one at $10 discount". In 40 years of dining at fine restaurants, that is a first!! Just tell me you are out of that vintage and I will order another (as I did). My partner and I spent some obvious time waving away the 2-3 fruit flies hovering around our table/window/food. Don't let that happen and do something about it, if it does. Certainly we told the waitress.
Food was fine and a well presented steak.
Top restaurants need to get the small things right. You didn't!
You have a VERY small menu choice, it will not suit everyone.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Outstanding fine dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Number Five is ranked in the top echelons of Auckland's fine dining restaurants for good reason: it is simply superb on every level.

Housed in one of Auckland's more historic buildings, it oozes character, and a certain subtle charm, which is complimented by highly professional, knowledgeable, attentive, and warm natured waiting staff.

It also helps that this restaurant is small and boutique-sized, which adds to a sense of dining intimacy and specialness.

My mother and I dined here for her birthday, with a Grabone voucher for a superb five-course degustation menu, created by a wonderful chef and cooking team with exceptional creative flair and sense of flavour, which is reflected in the beautiful textures and balance of their dishes.

Rather than describe the courses here, which would have me engaging in superlatives for hours, I would recommend potential diners check the Number Five website for menu details.

Special thanks must go to our two waitresses, one German, and the other Peruvian, who were charming and perfectly attentive. In addition, the maître-de, Albert, demonstrated excellent knowledge of wine, and a natural passion and enthusiasm for his role as host. Finally, Martina, the owner of the restaurant, is both naturally charming, and is most caring about the welfare of her dining guests.

I could not more wholeheartedly recommend this exceptional fine dining restaurant.