“Did not live up to expectations” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #215 of 1,306 Restaurants in Auckland
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Did not live up to expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I recently had brunch there on a Sunday morning with a large group. As usual it was packed but then again it is the only choice on the waterfront in Kohimarama. I ordered a coffee which took far too long to arrive and then was not hot enough. The menu does not offer any standards apart from the eggs Benedict which I ordered. The rest of the menu is fancied up with unusual combinations and sometimes it is good to also be offered plainer fare. The eggs Benedict eventually arrived but we did have a long wait, other places with the same number of patrons serve quicker than this one does. I was disappointed, it was not on an English muffin but a hard bread bun cut in half that was difficult to cut through. The eggs were good, the greenery was not, it was dry and tasteless. We ask for dressing and were given a mustard dressing that was too overpowering.
For the price it just wasn't worth it. The staff were okay but we sat with empty plates in front of us for too long after finishing and I had to ask them to remove them. Not good enough. I mentioned the lack of muffins for the eggs Benedict to a waiter and he said, they were hard to obtain, absolute nonsense. I will not be rushing back, plenty of other choices that are better value for money and with a less trumped up menu better suited to Kiwi tastes.
The chairs are low and one tall person in our party commented on this. Trying to eat at a higher table in an easy chair is not comfortable.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, Australia
“Cafe On Kohi in Kohimarama”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Trotted along to this big impressive cafe with all the bells and whistles in the best spot on the bay for dinner on Saturday night. Very, very busy. It had been recommended so all of us were very excited to get there and try the whole experience.

Let me say the staff were amazing - nothing was too hard for them and we weren't easy for them at the beginning, rocking up with 3 more people than anticipated and then dropping the numbers again by 1 for someone who couldn't stay. The place was packed and they managed everyone extremely well, given we were in their way for the first 10 minutes or so.

Once seated at our table we were given the menu and the specials were recited with enthusiasm from a lovely waitress. From then on it became a battle to find something that excited our palates, the menu was pretty uninspiring, 3 people of the table (from 6) could only find fish and chips remotely appetising. When the food arrived it looked fabulous and for me, having the barley risotto (made from scratch - hooray !) with roasted vegetables was the winner, the others thought their meal just 'ok', although 1 who ventured further into the menu and had the lamb said it was fabulous.

The pricing was fair, the wines were a little on the high side but lets face it - when running a restaurant you have make a living somehow right ? Food alone ain't going to cut it. For me, this place has the wow factor but it fails to deliver with an inspiring menu, what's turned out from the kitchen to the table from that average menu is brilliant. Would I go again - probably not, there are other trendy places to visit, maybe not with the same vista but I'm sure they'd give them a run on the menu.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Auckland, New Zealand
“My favourite cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We go here all the time, and the couple of people who don't like it must own one of the terrible cafes down the road in mission bay?

In my opinion the eggs benne is a 10 and I simply don't give 10s. It probably isn't cheap, but the food and service is pretty great in my opinion.

True story, my girlfriend and I went all around South America and Central America for two months, and on our return went to the Kohi cafe, we both (slightly embarrassed) had to admit it was the best food we had eaten in two months...no disrespect to the marvellous street food in Mexico which I loved...

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Christchurch
“Excellent Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We visited Cafe Kohi on the day of the Around the Bays race, at the end of the race. Although there were people everywhere, we were seated immediately and with a smile.
I have some dietary requirements which I thought I had sorted. However because I had just finished the race and it was busy, I didn't ask the usual questions.
I incorrectly assumed that kidneys with a lemon cream sauce on sour dough would be just that. When it arrived it was absolutely full of onion. More onion than anything else actually. I tried to pick the kidneys out but it didn't really work and consequently I was quite ill. Not their fault necessarily. I should have checked exactly what I was getting although I thought given the quantity of onion it should have been mentioned on the menu
The coffee was great and the service also. They specially came to ask me if I would like more coffee which I thought was good

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Simply superb...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have to admit, I have lived in Kohi for many years, but recently moved away.
Cafe on Kohi is the go to for great coffee in the bays, no doubt about it!
A recent Saturday catchup with friends found us looking for coffee in Mission Bay, but we decided to go around the corner to Cafe on Kohi for a wider menu selection, sunny seats across the road from the beach, and great coffee.
I couldn't go past the mushrooms, and we sampled about 3 other dishes, all fantastic! Coffee was superb (as usual), and the wine selection for a hot day was just perfect!
All in all, hard to pass up, and worthy of a great review!

• Visited February 2013