“Incredible” 5 of 5 stars

Auckland Hop-on Hop-off Tour
Ranked #22 of 158 Activities in Auckland
Type: Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: SkyJump; NZ's Highest Jump - 192m 630ft. Jump start your Kiwi Adventure by leaping from Auckland's SkyTower. It takes about 11 seconds to reach the ground falling at about 85 kph. The ground rush is unbeatable. Participants wear a full body harness and flying suit (all provided). Unlike Bungy, there is not dangling upside down or bounding around - you simply fall 'fast and smooth' and then slow down to land just in the last few metres. SkyWalk; Life on the Edge! Inch along a narrow walkway around the Sky Tower, high above Auckland. No handrail, nothing but thin air and the city 192 metres below, SkyWalk is an exhilarating challenge you'll never forget. Our guides point out attractions, tell you stories and challenge you to daredevil tricks. For a big New Zealand adventure, 360° panoramic views of Auckland and extraordinary memories, SkyWalk the ledge.
Billingshurst, United Kingdom
“Incredible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

After wanting to do this for a very long time, when I went up to the top of the tower to the observation decks, I thought perhaps it was a bit too high for me! However, I decided I had to have a go, as it is such a unique and amazing experience. The staff were great - very friendly and professional. The jump itself it just immense, such a one-off and a massive adrenaline rush. Loved it so much I bought the GoPro video and photos of my jump. Would recommend to anybody!!!!

Visited April 2014
SkyJumpNZ, Front Office Manager at SkyJump and SkyWalk, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Hi GeorgieSweeney, thanks for your review. We think you're extra brave for viewing first and then deciding to jump!

Coffs Harbour
14 attraction reviews
“my awesome death defying, superman's got nuthin on me day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Organisation & safety from start to finish. Excellent staff that are a credit to what they do, which is adrenalin pumping madness. SkyJump is unsurpassed when it come to high level activities. I feel I had total value for money & can't wait 'till I'm back in Auckland to do my next jump. Thx to all for making my "Look & Leap' experience one I'll never forget

Visited April 2014
Hi Wendy T, thanks for your review. We hope to see you again for your next jump - make sure to bring your certificate and it's only $75!
Mandurah, Australia
7 attraction reviews
“From terror to terrific!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Highly recommended for the brave! Planned as the most exciting way to celebrate my 56th b'day, there was no way I was going to be able to back out of this amazing activity (although they would have let me, if I couldn't manage to "let go" - and offered the opportunity to take the ride in the next 12 months). Not being the best with heights, I had watched several videos of the activity to make sure I knew what I was in for, and to help me prepare mentally. However, ascending in the lift found me not wanting to look out across the amazing views of Auckland. We were the first to jump that day, and the weather was perfect. Could feel sensations of panic arise, but managed to contain it. Even knowing you are well suited up and fully attached does not stop feeling you are going to FALL a LONG way! The scariest part was on the ledge, hanging on to the guide ropes during the 3 sec count-down, and I wasn't able to let go at first. Took me a moment to get the rational mind back into gear and with gentle encouragement from the staff, I stepped off. Screamed in terror for the first 3 seconds, and then began to enjoy the ride and the scenery. All too soon the high-rise buildings get in the way, and then, plonk, you are on the target, felling totally exhilarated! Great to be able to view your friend coming down on the next jump, too! Top class event! Probably the video is a bit expensive, but there was no way I was going to walk away without it! Complimentary entry to other parts of the tower make it a great morning's entertainment!

Visited March 2014
Hi Maxi H, thanks for your review! Your SkyJump experience sounds like a bit of a roller-coaster, and we are glad you let go at the top - the longer you hold on the scarier it gets!
Sheffield
“Celebrate 60 in style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

On planning our holiday to NZ for my birthday I was looking at the sky tower restaurant when I saw the SKYWALK. I thought that looked fun and I could make some money for charity too so that's when I decided to book to do the walk on the last day of my holiday. I did it today with Matt my excellent guide. I felt totally safe and throughly enjoyed the experience, even when it was suggested that I met certain challenges such as leaning over the edge and walking arms out at the side looking upwards. If you want to do something different and get a guided tour of Auckland from the sky then do the skywalk. I also raised over NZ$2500 and enjoyed it too. Thank you Matt! The experience was awesome!

Visited March 2014
Hi LW54, thanks for your fantastic review! Congratulations on raising so much money for charity, and pushing your boundaries at the same time!
Cairns, Australia
6 attraction reviews
“Not for adrenaline junkies, amazing for normal people”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Short review: If you've been bungee jumping or cliff diving then I wouldn't recommend this. I got no adrenaline kick at all as I was hoping for. For people looking to be more adventurous and bungee seems like too much, then I would absolutely recommend this activity. The staff are professional and the experience is very controlled and very safe. Bypass the line to the skytower observation deck, there is a queue just for skyjumpers/walkers just past them and admittance to the observation deck is included. You can find a $20 discount coupon in lots of free brochures like the Auckland A-Z travel guide.

Full review:
I was hooked on the fact that its a jump from 192 meters. That alone pretty much sold me. While its is carefully called a "skyjump" and not a "bungee jump" its not clear to those who don't research. I saw a reply to another review from a manager who said they do their best to make sure customers know the difference. In my personal experience no effort was made to explain the exact difference to me at all. The jump is advertised as 192 meters with a max speed of 85kpm for a duration of 11 seconds. If we apply the formula v = v0 + aΔt and assume 9.81m/s^2. Then we only accelerate for about 2.4 seconds. So we are actually spending most of the jump slowing down. However since we jump with a metal cable which has to be unwound at the top overcoming its own inertia, and since I could feel my weight in the harness, Its probably safer to assume you don't ever get to fall at free fall acceleration during the jump. This is probably why I didn't get that adrenaline rush I was hoping for. For those wanting to be more adventurous, I think this is an excellent option for you. The processes of getting suited up and multiple checks on your harnesses by multiple staff, as well as the communication from the staff at the top of the jump make you feel very safe and very well taken care of. If you've never done anything like this before I would absolutely recommend this experience for you.

I had a hard time debating with myself whether to give this a 3 or 4 rating. With difficulty I chose to give it a 3. I got no rush from the jump. $30 for a photo on the platform and not even in the jump is, not to sound dramatic, ridiculous. To be fair the cost of the video is more agreeable and the staff make a good effort to make you have a nice movie. They make you remove all jewelry including necklaces. I have a sentimental necklace that I always wear but had to remove anyway for "safety reasons." Then 60 seconds later I was handed a lanyard with keys to my locker to be worn around my neck. What happened to those "safety reason?" So I'm not sure about the logic of that. Finally the cost! $225 was the deciding factor in my 3 out of 5 rating. For much less you could bungee off the bridge or pay a bit more and go skydiving. Although, as mentioned at the top, there are $20 discount coupons in lots of brochures. I would have liked to give this tour a 4-rating and not a 5 if only because I didn't get that adrenaline kick. So it was difficulty that I chose a 3. If the scale was 1 to 10, it would have gotten a 7.

Visited March 2014
SkyJumpNZ, Front Office Manager at SkyJump and SkyWalk, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Hi The Farron, thank you for your review. We understand that SkyJump will not provide an adrenaline kick for everyone, but we have seen people with skydiving or bungy experience get a real thrill from SkyJump so the experience really is individual to each person that takes part. We have been working to make sure people know the difference between a SkyJump and a bungy jump, and any customers using the words ‘bungy’ or ‘free-fall’ are quickly corrected by our staff. We also have promotional footage playing in two locations around the check-in desk to help people see the difference between a SkyJump and a bungy jump.
Thank you for your 3 out of 5 rating and we respect all of your comments. They will be taken on board and discussed by SkyJump Management.
You are welcome to contact me - amy@skyjump.co.nz if you would like to discuss any of my feedback further.