We spent three days here, and would not have stayed beyond the first had we not fully paid up front. The guests at this hostel are the rudest we met in NZ, and the place just reeks of curry (and we love curries of all sorts).
We should have spent more money for a nicer place; this place was kinda gross. It is also very loud, as some of the guests come home drunk and yelling & running down the hallways at 5 and 6 am. The bed was just absolutely AWFUL and caused our backs to ache for the rest of our trip. Thermoregulation was a problem. The TV sucked, was tiny, and had snowy basic radio channels. We stayed elsewhere in NZ for less money, which MUCH nicer accommodations.
If you are looking to camp indoors with rude people and curry effervescence, you found your place.
The staff was very helpful and called discount cabs for us, which were great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- City Lodge is a fresh central CBD budget accommodation, established in August 2005. Nestled in one of Auckland's unique oak tree cladding streets, City Lodge provides a clean, friendly and warm environment, offering a range of rooms all of which contain ensuite bathrooms, mini fridge and tea and coffee making facilities. This convenient location is close by to the main shopping facilities and restaurants, however if you wish to stay in and cook we offer a self-catering kitchen/TV lounge area and 24 hour reception. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, HostelBookers, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL, HostelWorld, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your City Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- City Hotel Auckland Central
- City Lodge Auckland, New Zealand