“Five Star Hostel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of City Lodge

You added City Lodge to your Saves list
City Lodge
5.0 of 5 Hostel   |   150 Vincent Street | Auckland Cbd, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
“Five Star Hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My son and I stayed at City Lodge for 6 nights and we both rated this as a five star hostel for location to city sights, friendly & helpful staff, clean rooms & comfortable beds, large well appointed kitchen & common room. It was the little things that made the difference like access to umbrellas & notes under the door advising us of shuttle pick up to the airport etc. etc.

Room Tip: We had a twin room with an ensuite with night noise as you would expect in a city.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
City_Lodge_Auckland, General Manager at City Lodge, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
We hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Auckland and thank you for the feedback, best regards Glenn Gairdner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed at City Lodge for nearly a month while looking for a flat in Auckland. City Lodge is a perfect place for such a stay - it offers spotless and very comfortable (if a bit small) rooms for a good price. The communal kitchen was alway clean and well-equiped and the staff were always amazingly helpful, polite and nice. We had a really good time staying there and would recommend it to all travellers, especially young couples and students.

Room Tip: try to get a room on a higher floor facing Auckland CBD - the views are great!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Best regards Glenn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I booked this accommodation on price and the rooms on the internet looked clean and tidy... My room was upgraded on arrival. I was pleasantly surprised with my room (I thought I may have got a room that was not like the one on the internet - but it was :) ... but I was really impressed and will definitely stay again. My room was clean and tidy... it was compact but I expected that.. The bedding was crisp, clean and white, pillows were great, tea,coffee and milk is supplied. You do need to take your own face cloths, soap and shampoo but towels are provided.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
City_Lodge_Auckland, General Manager at City Lodge, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete your survey about City Lodge. We are pleased you enjoyed the stay and hope to see you again in the future. Best regards Glenn Gairdner
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I had orignally planned to stay at city lodge, unfortunately, a change of plan makes it not feasible.

Despite that, a special thanks to Ravi, Pol and Tina, who had provided exceptional customer service and being ever so prompt and ready to help in my intended stay planning via email.

Cheers!
Peiyan

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
City_Lodge_Auckland, General Manager at City Lodge, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you for such great comments about our reception team. We try very hard to exceed our customer’s expectations. I have posted your comments on the staff notice board for all to read. Thanks again and we hope to see you in the future, best regards Glenn Gairdner
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed there for 4 days 3 nights in the single room with attached bathroom (double bed). First impression of the room was very clean, neat and tidy. The toilet is spotless. I love the bed - it is soft and very comfortable. However, those who prefer firm beds may not like it. The location is very good - near town, and you can hop into the bus right outside to go down to the train station ($1.00). It's a quiet area, and the building is also quiet - you're ensure of a good night sleep. The staff are very helpful, polite and I love chatting with them.

CON: One thing to caution. I have been reading from some sites that they offer free wifi. Unfortunately, when I booked via Agoda, I did not look into this too carefully and ended up with no free wifi. I have checked with the staff, apparently, free wifi is only applicable to the first 30MB. I would say this is a little misleading.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
City_Lodge_Auckland, General Manager at City Lodge, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thanks for your review on City Lodge. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be very helpful. In regards to the Wifi we do ask the different websites that offer this incentive to list as 30MG however it is often just a tick box option with no comments able to be loaded. I take your comment on board and will discuss with Agoda.

Just to let you know in regards to the bedding. Yesterday we installed brand new Sleepmaker beds into another 40 rooms. The new mattress is even more comfortable and firmer ensuring we exceed our guests expectations and maintain our 5 Star rating

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday while in NZ, we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Best regards Glenn Gairdner
tauranga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Repeat customer, service was great, spotless rooms, central to all central city facilities, secure.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
City_Lodge_Auckland, General Manager at City Lodge, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, I will ensure housekeeping is made aware of your positive comments. Thanks again for taking the time to complete the survey. Kind regards Glenn Gairdner
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed for one night in a private double room. It was clean and comfortable, and also small, but that wasn't a big deal. We paid to park in their little lot for $15. Even though we had to check out the next day at 10 they let us keep the car there til noon. The accommodation is close to the downtown area. You buy wifi from them by megabyte/gigabyte instead of by time, which I think is a good idea. The person at the desk wasn't that helpful when I asked about some activities to do- he told me to just go look at a poster board of information. Thought that was a bit rude since it says in a bunch of places "ask us for advice!"

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your positive comments about our room and other services offered at City Lodge. We pride ourselves on having an extremely high standard of cleaning and presentation. I am sorry the staff member at reception was unable to provide you with information on tours etc. This service failure has been brought to the attention of all front office team members. Kind regards Glenn Gairdner

Been to City Lodge? Share your experiences!