“Impressed by bed size and, wait for it,.......the extra wide corridors!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SKYCITY Hotel

Save Saved
You added SKYCITY Hotel to your Saves list
SKYCITY Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner Victoria & Federal Streets, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Ranked #12 of 76 hotels in Auckland
Oz
“Impressed by bed size and, wait for it,.......the extra wide corridors!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Booked the hotel on work collegue's recommendation that the bed is extra large. Well, true to their word, the bed can sleep 3 people comfortably (super king size?). The other attraction was that it's the location of the Sky Tower Jump which I had intended to do but due to the wind and rain, did not happen.

Other good things about the room: large bathroom/toilet; a nice lounge to sit and plenty of power points to recharge various devices.

Other good things about the hotel: wide corridors - unlike many hotels, the extra wide corridors means that there's plenty of room to pass people when you have lots of luggage. There are also many lounge chairs, lounges and comfy seats to sit in the corridor area and read etc while enjoying the sun and/or looking out to the city views. A terrific idea! Housekeeping staff are generally very friendly.

Only had 1 staff that was rude. Knocked on the door and just flatly told my travelling companion that he was there to empty the minibar, half way during our stay. No questions, no 'please' - just took all the minibar stuff away. This perplexed me when my friend told me about this on my return to the room and so I rang and complained that no one in our room authorised this and made them come back and restock the minibar. I found out later a large tour group had just checked in and requested this for their group but the hotel made a mistake with the room number. I understand that mistakes can be made but it was more the rudeness of this staff member that had me riled. At the very least he should have asked whether my companion is part of the tour group. I did complain to management but what can they do as it had already happened.

Apart from the mishap above, I would still recommend this hotel. Lots of nice places to eat around the hotel. See my other recent reviews of Auckland restaurants (e.g. Bellota) for more info.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear TheUnicorn,

Thank you for your recommendation on TripAdvisor.

Our team strives to deliver an exceptional customer experience and I was delighted to read you positive feedback regarding our room attendants. Please be assured your experience with our team member clearing your mini bar is not the high level of service I or my team takes pride in. Your comments will be used as a coaching tool and I sincerely apologise for your experience.

On your next visit I hope you have the chance to enjoy extreme sightseeing on the SKYJUMP, which has been described as base jumping, while attached to a wire – just like a movie stuntman! You’ll fall very fast (approximately 85kph) for around 11 seconds, and then come to a very smooth landing in the Sky City plaza below.

Our team looks forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY on your next stay to Auckland City.

Best wishes,

902 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Central in the heart of Auckland city - right near the iconic Skytower, the accommodation is fantastic, serviced everyday! The downside was laundry pricing but all in all a comfortable stay. the main location of the city is only a hop and a skip away and you will not have to travel far to close by restaurants and cafes. Superb accommodation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Nikitajmb,

Please be assured I have feedback your wonderful comments to my team.

SKYCITY Hotel is located in the heart of Auckland City. Close to some of the must see sights in the City, such as Waitmata Harbour, Auckland Art Gallery, shopping in High Street, Chancery Lane, and Britomart. I am delighted to read you found our accommodation “fantastic” - a visit to the SKYTOWER can be a great viewing point for these attractions.

If you return to Auckland we would love to welcome you back to stay with us.

I hope you had a safe return journey to Melbourne.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

How fitting that I was attending a forum on Quality Improvement whilst staying at Skycity Hotel. Spacious room, neat and tidy. Room service efficient and timely. Reception staff professional, yet with a sparkle in their eyes. But ultimately this needs to be said - I returned home to find I had left my wedding band in my room as I checked-out on the last day of the forum. I phoned in tears and explained. The voice on the other end was calm, reassuring. He'll have a look and come back to me. 7 minutes later my phone rang - my ring was handed in to the office and he thought he'll let me know as he was sure this was important to me. A phone call during the weekend confirmed a track and trace number for the courier. What will I remember from my stay in Skycity Hotel? Quality service is a neat and tidy room, friendly efficient staff, timely room service etc. But ultimately it is a quality experience when honesty drives a client orientated personalized service. Fantastic concierge service. Fantastic communication and follow-up. I salute you!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Magda V,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. I was delighted to read your comments and I have shared this with my team. My team strives to deliver exceptional service and they were thrilled to be able to exceed your expectations and assist in producing a happy outcome for you. We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the near future.

Best,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We throughly enjoyed our 3 nights stay at Skycity. One of the must do attraction- the sky tower is in the hotel! what more can one ask for??..Other than that, the hotel is centrally located and it's immaculate, the service was very efficient and gave us lots of tips on local sightseeing. The room was spacious and clean with a million dollar view of the harbour. One can enjoy at the casino after a long day/sightseeing trips, the waterfront and restaurants are close by and the hotel itself has lots of dining options. Totally recommend this hotel to all those who are looking for a fantastic stay at the city of sails.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear deeptisnarayana,

Thank you for recommending SKYCITY as a fantastic stay in the City of Sails - we are certainly very lucky to live in such a beautiful spot.

At 328 metres the SKYTOWER is the tallest free standing structure in the Southern Hemisphere. It has become an iconic structure in Auckland’s skyline and is one of my suggestions for a must do while you are in Auckland City.

With our 25 restaurant and bars at SKYCITY - and more to be anounced soon - we are certain there is something to suit all tastes. Including unique dining experiences such as having a meal at one of two restaurants at the top of the SKYTOWER.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel when you next visit Auckland.

I hope you had a safe trip back to Dubai.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I am a pretty hard customer to please, but the staff at Sky City have consistently gone the extra mile to ensure my stay is a happy - and slightly spoilt - one.
I have a loyalty programme with the Rydges, but there truly is no comparison. The rooms are spacious, there are so many things to do WITHIN the hotel that I hardly ever leave and the value for money is exceptional.
My friends/clients suggest restaurants in Ponsonby or on the Viaduct and I always manage to convince them to come to me, where we typically have a great time at Depot before a little nightcap at the casino.
I won't stay anywhere else in Auckland.

Dear Mixed Kiwi,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. My team and I were delighted to read your experience with us is consistently positive and we look forward to delivering the same exceptional service on your future stays.

On your next visit to SKYCITY I welcome you to join Premier Rewards programme.
This membership brings you fantastic new and exciting benefits and a gaming experience like never before, plus regular member-exclusive promotions with big prizes to be won - not to mention accommodation discounts at both our two Hotels.

If I can assist you with your membership please do not hesitate to contact me.

I agree SKYCITY is a one stop entertainment stop with over 25 restaurants and bars, a world class casino, and entertainment to suit all tastes there is no need to go anywhere else.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

First of all, the hotels location is fantastic and we couldnt have wished for a better location. The room was very spacious and clean, however certain things let it down such as having an analog controlled tv setup which in turn offered a very poor picture and the blue lighting on the light swithces next to the bed were highly annoying as they lit up when the power was off and thereforth shone right in your face while trying to sleep.

I was unfortunately left unimpressed with the customer service upon our check in, we were simply greeted with "name?" and thats all. We also asked as to what time the Skytower closed to which she replied "I dont know". She didnt even endeavour to find this info out for us, however her colleague noticed my annoyance and mentioned that she believed it was around 10pm that evening. I would have expected staff to know the opening times of the cities biggest attraction, an attraction that is less than 50metres away from their counter. Lastly I would have expected staff to mention to us that a pool & fitness centre were available over in the Grand Hotel for our use, I found this out later myself upon asking a friend who had stayed at the hotel herself.

I must say I was highly impressed with the young samoan lass who looked after us upon our check out, sadly I can no longer recall her name.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
SKYCITY H, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Nick J,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to read you found our rooms spacious and clean and enjoyed our central City location.

Please be assured your comments regarding our customer service are not the high levels of service we take pride in at SKYCITY Hotel. I welcome you to contact me with your details to allow me to fully investigate your feedback.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Tracey Walsh tracey.walsh@skycity.co.nz
Guest Relations
Hamilton, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Thanks SkyCity Hotel you made this long awaited trip amazing. The service was outstanding from the reservation call, check in and restaurants. We checked in for one night our deal was good value for money - included parking, dinner, breakfast, sky tower entry, champagne and chocolates. On check in I was advised our room had been upgraded! We went up to the room which had in fact become a suite. It was well appointed and very spacious with an amazing bathroom. Love the twinkle of the Auckland City lights at night time. Dinner was superb and very tasty in the Observatory and at breakfast at Fortuna lots of choices. Staff were helpful and courtesy. Can't wait for our next mini break away.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sheree B,

I am delighted to read you enjoyed your City Experience Package. I agree it is a real treat. The Auckland skyline at night is stunning and I am pleased to read you have the opportunity to enjoy this view from Observatory.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY on your next mini break.

Kind regards,
Tracey Walsh
Guest Relations

Been to SKYCITY Hotel? Share your experiences!