“The forgotten room” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
Vancouver
“The forgotten room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We have stayed at the Quadrant in Auckland numerous times and been quite satisfied, however that run has come to an end. On our arrival yesterday we were given a room with a "king" bed, that most uncomfortable situation where 2 doubles are pushed together to make 1 bed. After 30 years of travel I have yet to see it make 1 comfortable bed, so we quickly requested a change of room.
We were accommodated, and took possession of our new room immediately.
After my wife had a shower she noticed the usual hair dryer wasn't present. At the same time she noticed we had no trash can anywhere in the 1 bedroom suite, or for that matter any soap for the shower or sink. We called management about the oversights and assumed they would have a look at what else might be missing and resolve the situation.
We returned from having dinner out, and as we set out to go to bed we realized there wasn't a blanket anywhere in the suite. We went to phone down about this, and soon discovered there wasn't a phone either so we couldn't call about the newest issue! We also noticed we couldn't unpack properly as there were only 4 coat hangers in the closet. And then we realized the luggage rack was also missing, so we had to leave our suitcases on the floor. Wanting to relax whilst I went to the front desk downstairs, my wife realized there were no cushions on the couch that are the usual situation provided here. There were indeed now a trash bin, a bar of soap and a hair dryer present, so they had been in the suite, I suppose they simply didn't look around while there.
When I went down again and explained to the front desk we had no blanket, and were missing numerous other items despite their trip to our room to replace missing things, I was flat out disbelieved. The fellow asked if I had looked properly. I persuaded him to come look, and please bring a couple blankets, but he came empty handed as he didn't believe. It was quite hilarious to watch him examine the bed for several minutes to convince himself there really weren't any blankets no matter how he moved those 2 sheets around! Normally funny, but tired after a day of travel, at 11 at night, not so funny.
He ended up bringing us 2 blankets a bit later, another bar of soap and a luggage rack. Then I asked him to check to ensure the AC worked as we were distrusting the room. After about 10 minutes he discovered that the AC was unplugged in a hidden spot under a desk, so he was finally able to get that working, thank goodness I asked, we would never have found the connection as it ran through the wall.
We still didn't have a phone, ( oh how he Looked for that!), so in the morning when we realized we had no "make up the room" sign to display, we couldn't phone down yet again to solve the problem. I found a housekeeper and borrowed the cleaning sign, went downstairs and told the manager every detail in a quiet but frustrated voice.
Given the litany of oversights we fooled ourselves into thinking management might have an apology waiting for us, or perhaps some token of their understanding of our patience. Alas, no. And though I can chalk up all the other silly oversights and significant number of errors and omissions, I do not have it in my heart to forgive management's silence and lack of accepting responsibility. I had told the manager that I informed him because as a business owner I would want to know of such a volume of oversights, but it appears it will end there.
We now have a phone (dead battery), 2 suitcase racks, pillows, blankets and trash cans and working AC, I suppose that is sufficient.

Room Tip: Check your room thoroughly upon entry for all the basics you assume will be there, they may not be t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Joy G, Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear rmartens51

Thank you so much for your feedback and Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. This was clearly not the standard of service that we strive to offer our guests and I would like to reiterate my most sincere apologies.

Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. I would love for you to contact me directly at quad.corporate@vrhotels.co.nz as there a number of issues you have raised in your review that are a real concern to me. I am not one to take such things easily and need to address them after receiving more information.

I look forward to hopefully hearing from you in the near future.

Corproate Associate.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Very well positioned. Easy to get to main shopping area in Queen's Street and the bars and restaurants along the wharf. Well equipped rooms with washer/drier, fridge etc.If you have a car the hotel charge NZ$28 a day but there is secure parking nearby which is slightly cheaper.

Room Tip: Ensure your room has air conditioning and not just a free standing fan.
Dear Kathy S

It is great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our central location and explored the City. We appreciate your feedback, it will assist us in improving our services for future guests.

Please stay in touch with us, via facebook or twitter, and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Kind Regards,
Corporate Associate.
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We spent one night at The Quadrant. It's a perfect downtown location next to the Albert Park.
The reception staff was attentive. Wifi was provided without charge (maybe because the city is full of free hotspots). Our room on the 15th floor was well-equipped, even including a washer/dryer combination, but it also felt small - especially the bathroom is kind of narrow. The room offered a good view from the balcony. Overall it was very good value for money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Joy G, Front Office Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Aotearoa-Holiday

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience! We pride ourselves on our friendly and efficient staff, so it is wonderful to hear that they assisted in making your stay even more enjoyable.

Please stay in touch with us via facebook or twitter and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

On checking in, first shock was off site valet parking at $28 NZD/night ... discounted to $23 if you didn't book thru an agent. However, booking.com is considered an "agent"... don't understand when there's parking in the area for $14/day. Car was brought promptly on request, though. Second shock was a surcharge for using VISA or other credit card. Only place we stayed in a month that charged for using credit card. Who carries enough cash to pay for hotels for several weeks of travel? We were upgraded to a room with two beds. The kitchenette was not exceptionally clean. Had to wipe out the microwave before using it. No dishcloth provided. Oven available but no oven mitts. Called for a coffee plunger and was told "we don't normally provide one" ... but one was brought to the room quite quickly. No racks/stands for suitcases - had to place them on the floor. Bathroom small with no counter space for toiletries. Telephone was situated UNDER television at floor level ... so had to sit on the floor to use it. Paint was peeling from "art" on walls. Internet service was difficult to access and internet was down on second morning. Beds were comfortable with quality linens. It was helpful to have a washing machine to tidy up our laundry. Washing soap was provided. Food/beverages available for purchase in room at the usual highway robbery prices ... mostly junk and not anything we would eat. We looked at the spa area hot tub but didn't use it. Same with the sauna. Three or four machines in exercise area, also not used. Too many surprises, inconsistencies and surcharges for this to be rated a four star hotel.

Dear LA B

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. This was clearly not the standard of service that we strive to offer our guests.

Your comments about the standard of housekeeping is of a major concern to me. You can see by our other reviews that we take great pride in our housekeeping standards. I have addressed your concerns with our Executive House Keeper and will follow up personally to understand what we can do better as a property.

However, I am very happy to hear that our team went out of their way to ensure that you were looked after, this to me is very important.

We do believe that our valet parking is reasonably priced, even though there are day parking options in the vicinity. These however do not allow you to park more than once and do not have the monitored security that we provide as parking is within the Hotel building itself.

The application of surcharge has now been standard for a number of years in all hotel chains throughout New Zealand and Australia.

Best Regards

Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

4 of us stayed in a su[perior 2 bedroom room on level 23. Bathroom was very dark with no natural light and only 1 very dim light, needed a brighter light bulb and some more lights around the mirror. Bedrooms/beds were comfortable but lounge lacked furniture and felt very empty. There was only 1 small couch in the lounge for 4 of us so 2 of us had to sit at the table. The room was a corner room and had 2 balconies, but no outdoor furniture so again had to use the table chairs to sit on the balcony. Overall quite good value for money, and a great location in walking distance to Queen St and Viaduct, staff were friendly and helpful but room was quite basic and empty.

Dear travels19

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience. We pride ourselves on our friendly and efficient staff, so it is wonderful to hear that they assisted in making your stay even more enjoyable.

Unfortunately we do not provide outdoor furniture in our rooms as occasionally the wind gusts can pick up the furniture and throw it over the balcony. Rather than risk harm to anybody walking underneath we believe it is best for there not to be any furniture in place.

Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed at The Quadrent 2 nights in all so just a taster. but to sum up our experience we would totally recommend ...The reception staff were attentive polite and helpful... our room (not the biggest) but we are not planning to party here.. was very clean has everything we could need with coffee and tea, towels etc replenished as needed.. but for us the stand out performance of The Q was the exeptional meals we had .....these guys should be a whole lot busier... why would you hike into town and take the lottery of pub/resturant meals to then have to treck back when some of the nicest food out there is 2 mins from your room . The service in the resturant headed by the amazing Uday was exeptional he made us feel very special making our meals personally and to an awesomly high standard (Thanks Uday you made out weekend).. Rebecca the newest staff member coped extremely well and was very attentive considering it was her third day and there were staff shortages, and Chris (the new Tom Cruise) with his sense of humour and great cocktail skills will go far. the dining room is going through some changes as there is a lack of privacy and its not the biggest space (you have to realise that you cant have everything) but that aside we could not fault our experience. Cant wait to come back.

Room Tip: we had a room on 18th floor with a view over the harbou, air conditioning no noise and a great night...
Dear simon r

Thank you so much for your praise of our staff members and of our menu. All our team actively read Trip Advisor and Guest Feedback and it is much appreciated that you have taken the time to write good things about particular members.

Feedback really is a great driver in ensuring we as a property can keep striving to the high standards we have.

We hope to see you back in the near future, thank you for your support.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I booked a one bed premier apartment for $180NZ a night, for 5 nights. For this I also got discounted parking at $23NZ a day.

On arrival I was surprised to hear it was a valet only parking service, no self park. Glad I paid in advance and got the discount rate. There were no major inconveniences, and no delays if I needed my car.

Check in was painless enough, although they required the first night to be paid in advance even though they had my card details.

I was given room 1818, a spacious enough corner room at the end of the 18th floor corridor, with 2 balconies, one overlooking the harbour/dock area, and the other the Auckland museum. Pleasant enough, with aircon in the lounge area.

Housekeeping was very good during my stay, although towel quantities were a bit random. No tea towel a couple of days, 6 bath towels one day! :o)

Unfortunately, that's about it for the good stuff :o(

The bathroom was quite small, and there was a drain hole in the floor which I had to keep covered with a towel else it stank. There were only large towels, no hand towels, and there was no extractor fan, so the mirror steamed up and the bathroom got very muggy after showering.

The free wifi didn't reach my room. I could get it in the corridor, but it was very slow, to the point of useless.

There was a TV in the lounge area, but the channels were very limited, and pay movies were expensive. No TV in the bedroom.

The kitchenette was more aimed at takeaway cuisine, rather than self catering. 3 x plates, cups, cutlery, etc, 2 x saucepans, toaster, kettle, microwave, and an oven/hob. No frying pan/wok, no serving bowls for salads, no oven trays.

The grill in the oven was on or off, with no temperature control, and the grill tray had no handle, so I had to use the tea towel (on the days I was given one).

There was a small dishwasher, but the plates didn't fit in it properly. Not being a fan of dishwashers anyway I used the sink, but the sink had no draining area for dishes, so I stood them in the dishwasher! :oD

The was a combination washing machine/tumble drier in the kitchenette, but I never used it. I did wonder why, with so much balcony space, there wasn't a clothes airer to hang clothes on tho.

Finally for the room, the front door rattled every time anyone else in the corridor opened their door. Ended up having to jam it with a bit of card.

My last bit for the Quadrant is mixed. There was a gym/spa/sauna, which is something I love in a hotel.....usually. The gym here is very small with no aircon, so 2 or 3 people at once is enough, even with the outside doors open. The sauna/spa is in an adjoining room, so the heat comes through to the gym making it quite humid. The spa itself didn't look too appealing so I never used it.

WOW! That was some write up! I hope it helps someone out, and maybe gives the management a few ideas?

I might be back one day ;o)

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Shaunthediver

Thank you so much for your feedback. There are a number of issues raised in your feedback that will help us improve as a property. I have passed on your recommendations and feedback to the relevant department heads to address.

Unfortunately the only rooms we provide with a TV in the bedroom is our deluxe queen apartments and our Penthouse, all other rooms have the TV situated in the living room.

In regards to the our WIFI we are currently investigating various options on how to upgrade our hardware, this should increase the reach of our WIFI. We have recently upgraded the software to enhance the speed of our internet.

Thank you once again for your feedback

Corporate Associate

Been to The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland? Share your experiences!