“Centrally located apartments” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
Singapore, Singapore
“Centrally located apartments”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

My family of five stayed here 4 nights in Dec 2008. We had a 2-bedroom apartment on the 9th (top) floor, and a 1-bedroom apartment on the 3rd. The 2-bedroom apartment allows a view of the sky tower. It was colourfully lit at night. Both have city view, and no balcony in the apartment. The apartment hotel is centrally located, close to Victoria Park Market, Skt Tower, Intercity Coach terminal, and Queen St. One of the reason I chose this apartment was because of a supposed nearby supermarket, Horwick Foodtown, as informed by some travel sources. But I was shocked to find that the information was outdated after I arrived. There are a few small convenience shops nearby the hotel, but may not carry all that you need. Braving the strong chilly wind in the evening, we walked all the way to the New World supermarket just beyond Victoria Park Market to get our groceries and dinner. We called for a maxicab for the return trip. We took two taxis to go to Mt. Eden area on the third day, and it costs just over $20 each. We took the link bus too from Victoria Park Market to Queen St., and from Queen St. to Sky Tower on the second day. It was easy, but not cheap. The city mission? nothing to worry about. If it concerns you, you can always walk on the opposite side of the road.
The checking-in and -out were done efficiently. The reception was prompt and willing to help. Under the rate scheme that we have booked our apartments, we were told that our apartments will not be serviced during our stay. Only toilet paper can be replenished free of charge. We bought a small bar of soap from reception for $1 on the third day. The hotel premise and apartments were reasonably clean and well-maintained. The bathrooms in the apartments are not ensuite. Like all the other NZ apartments we stayed in, the room doors do not allow you to lock the room from the living room. I had no problem following the instruction provided to operate the washer/dryer. But it does require more than one time of drying to get the clothes sufficiently dried, thus increasing the time needed to self-wash your laundry. What I did was to wash at night after we returned from our tours, followed by drying for 2.5 hrs (the longest you can adjust on the knob). Then I went to sleep, drying the clothes for a second time (about 1 hr) first thing in the morning. I was able to get my clothes dried before I go our for the next day''s tour, or after I came back. The kitchen areas are not large in both apartments, but the facilities and utensils are adequate. Overall, we were happy with our stay here.

• Liked — Quiet apartments, central location
  • Disliked — No supermarket nearby, no make-up of rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Carrboro, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

We liked this location-- we had the ability to walk to main places of interest, and it was also very easy to catch a bus to wherever you wanted to go. The staff was very nice, and helpful. And they were very accomodating (with holding our luggage, internet, reservations, early check in, etc.). The room was well furnished and very clean.

But this is by some sort of halfway house. So it was an awkward walk for me when I was out alone. Lots of homeless men asking me questions. Just be aware. It felt safe, just uncomfortable for a single woman walking alone.

Also, this room is TINY. I mean, small. My husband would sit in a chair against one wall of the apartment, stretch out his legs and rest his feet against the opposite wall of the apartment. It was humorous, but would have gotten old if we were staying there too long.

Well stocked kitchen, though. The washer/dryer unit was not very efficient and didn't work well, but it was still useful.

It's an expensive city overall, so we were okay making these compromises to have location and an affordable pricetag. Just don't expect spaciousness!

• Stayed May 2008
New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the room and the furnishings. No gripes about it physically at all. The only thing that really annoyed me and that someone else has commented on also, was the buzzing sound which was on either overnight or started early in the morning. Once I woke at 5am (both nights) I couldn't get back to sleep because of the loud noise. There was no street noise at all (we were on the 4th floor).
Not much of a view (just over the police carpark) but that didn't worry us.
The location has also been commented on. It is unfortunate that the Auckland City Mission is nearby and quite often you have to walk past "unsavoury" types which can make one a bit nervous.
The staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Liked — Close to Sky City
  • Disliked — Its location near the City Mission.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

I was attracted by the price and location on the map. The counter people were always nice and helpful during our stay. The room was a two bedroom on the ground floor looking out on the front entrance drive. The rooms were clean and had a well set out kitchen. Both bedrooms were a little small but worked well for us.

My biggest let down was the location. It is on a main street and our room was not more than 15' from it. There was constant street noise and walking down to the Sky city area you had to go by the homeless shelter in the evenings with lots of interesting people on the sidewalk. Did not feel comfortable with my family in this area.

So quite a mixed offering, inexpensive, clean, nice people but poor location and environment.

• Stayed July 2008
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

The Smartstay apartments are obviously designed for functionality rather than luxury. Despite that the rooms are not unpleasant, and I would imagine on higher floors you would get a fair view as well. On the first floor we only got a view of police headquarters next door. Hobson St itself is not one of the world's great boulevards, its one of several streets in Auckland which have been turned into defacto motorways, but its close to the centre of town. The reception staff are friendly and helpful. For less than NZ$100 a night you couldn't ask for more really.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Noosa, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

The Oaks Smartstay Apartments is a convenient, inexpensive option for travelers wanting a little more room and the convience of self contained facilities. The Apartments are modern and tastefully furnished. However.....

...while one bedroom had good ventilation, the other bedroom (where our 2 boys slept......for at least part of the night) was frightfully stuffy even with the airconditioing running at full fan speed. There are no opening windows in this room either so there seems to be no way to turn over the air here.

...it seems common in NZ to sandwich the bed "quilt " between 2 sheets which is fine except that here, while the sheets appeared to be clean and fresh, the top edge of the quilt (the edge closest to one's face) was stained yellow with sweat or....goodness knows what.

...the front office staff were less than impressive or knowledgable. We arrived on a Friday evening and there was no hotel car parking available. The front office staff told us we could park in the street and that there was no need to pay for street parking on Saturday....Wrong. After several trips around the block I did eventually find a carpark and while parking was free over Friday evening, the parking fees applied from 0800 Saturday morning and there was a time limit on the duration of parking too. A local guy said that parking officers do chalk tyres in the area but the parking fine was just $12 whereas hotel parking (if available) was $20. Sunday parking is free but weekdays the road outside the hotel is a clearway during designated times.

...we were told that the internet was $15 per hour and that we could log on and off and the account would keep a running total of our usage. Wrong. We used the internet for about 5 minutes the first night but when we spoke to the receptionist the following morning we where told that once logged out all remaining time is forfeited.

....the washing machine.....aaaarrrrrgh. we could not get this thing to do what it was supposed to do no matter what we tried. The [-] thing kept going trogh its wash cycle...for hours. Then we couldn't get it to apply any heat to the dry cycle. (it was a combination front load washer/dryer). So next morning we had damp washing strewn all over the apartment trying to make sure our kids had something to wear next day. Of course we tried to get help from reception but as there is only one person in attendence she could not possibly offer any assistance other than to tell us to read the instructions.....which we already had....numerous times.

...it would be a big help if the reception staff spoke English. I'm sure some people could get really frustrated by this.

....and what's with that annoying buzzing sound that other reviewers have commented on. I think it has something to do with the lift but we were quite some way from the lift. It's not too bad in the living area or during the day, it's just reeeeaally annoying in the bedroom at night and morning when one just might be trying to sleep (with 2 sweaty boys who had to escape that stifling second bedroom)

Other than that, it wasn't too bad.

• Liked — price, convenience
  • Disliked — parking, staff, lack of ventilation, annoying buzzing sound
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2008

After touring around New Zealand for a while recently I had two nights back in Auckland before flying home to wind down and to see a little more of the city and stayed at this suite hotel in the city centre and can give it a positive review.

The location on Hobson is within 6 blocks or so of the Sky City complex, which includes shopping, luxury hotels as well as the Sky Tower, the tallest structure in the southern hemisphere and a can't miss local landmark. Sky City also has the Intercity bus terminal so arriving in from Rotorua and walking the short distance was convenient. As others have noted you do have to walk past the city homeless mission as it's only two blocks from the Oaks but I did several times over those two days and wasn't once approached and so wouldn't consider it anything to worry about. In fact, I was more concerned with drunken louts staggering home from neighborhood pubs early in the morning the last morning while awaiting the airport Airbus Express at the Sky City bus terminal than I was with those standing outside the mission entrance.

The location, though, can be both a positive and a negative as I found the traffic noise from Hobson Street to be very noticeable, especially on the lower floors and I was in #201 which faced the street. I had stayed at other similiar suite or apartment style hotels in New Zealand and like the ability to cook or even reheat leftovers in the kitchen as well as store drinks in the full fize fridge. I thought I reserved a one bedroom but upon arriving in the room found this unit to be a two bedroom so perhaps they shuffled me into another room category between reservation and arrival as I wasn't asked to pay more upon check out. One of the two rooms was fairly small but would work well with families as the larger bedroom had a king bed while the second room had only really a twin bed, so a couple with one child would find it comfortable. The one slightly odd thing about the room was how some of the cabinet and nightstand drawers didn't seem to fit well although they still worked properly. The unit had a shower only and a large one at that in a bathroom that also included a washer/dryer combination ans a small sink & vanity and toilet. The sitting area offered a kitchen/dining table with 3 chairs and a small entertainment area with the TV and sofa with writing desk. I thought the furnishings were for the most part well laid out and everything was there that I needed. While the room did offer a balcony, there isn't much of a view and with the street noise can't imagine spending much time out there other than for a breath of fresh air.

Another note is there may be limited access late at night as this really isn't a full service hotel, but those sorts of details are covered in the guest welcome book in each room. And not being full service also means no restaurant or dining facilities on-site, though given the location there are good choices within a few square block area.

Overall I couldn't knock this solid hotel for being noisy given the overall value I felt I received in a central location within walking distance to city sights and attractions. If I were back in Auckland again I'd certainly consider the Oaks again and based on my experience can give it more than a bare passing grade.

• Liked — Value for money paid
  • Disliked — street noise
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Auckland City Oaks? Share your experiences!