“Good apartment near City centre” 4 of 5 stars

Auckland City Oaks
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   188 Hobson Street, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Ranked #25 of 76 hotels in Auckland
York, United Kingdom
“Good apartment near City centre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Booked here for three nights before a cruise. Rooms large and airy with all facilities you could need. Friendly and helpful staff. Would recommend to all suitable for families as apartment had two bedrooms and a separate living room / kitchen

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
VRGroup, Manager at Auckland City Oaks, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear schoolhousehelen
We are so appreciative of all your positive comments and feel very humbled that you would recommend our hotel to others – Thank you!

665 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Rotorua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

The view from the room was FANTASTIC! The room was modern, clean and spacious. Beds were comfortable and our room had plenty of balconies to look over Auckland City and the harbour.
It was close to restaurants and shopping.
The only down fall would be the parking. It was very tight and unless you have a very compact car, it does become a bit of a nightmare trying to park and get get out of the parking.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Falutui
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, especially for your kind comments on our hotel, room and cleanness.
Mashhad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

I am very pleased with my 3 night stay at Auckland City Oaks. Exactly the same following breakfast was delivered for the duration of stay:
1. A banana
2. A small yogurt
3. A small granola bar (Mother Earth's Baked OATY SLICES"
4. A piece of cake
5. A small Juice

I appreciate your "continental breakfast" and I would like to make a suggestion to the manager. Please introduce some variety so it doesn't feel like a "prison ration". I mean you could easily interchange banana with apple, use different granola bars and cakes and so forth. I am sure this small change would go a long way for most travelers. Thanks.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Pukerau, Southland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

A group of us attended a wedding and booked two x two bedroomed units here. We were really impressed with most things, beds very comfortable, furnishings and fittings modern, and accommodating staff. Soundproof rooms which was very much appreciated.
The only 'problem' was the breakfast supplied was not really adequate for our needs. None of us do cake first thing in the morning, so appreciated the bananas and yoghurt.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I stayed here for four nights for a work trip. The hotel room is quite nice and spacious though the cleaning was a bit patchy when I first showed up and a few things were missed during my stay also. I am not really fussy about this but I know some people are so just thought I'd mention it.

Breakfast was ok but mine was not replaced the one night I was not in my room when room service came around. Speaking of room service, one night I was changing in the lounge after getting out of the shower and a staff member knocked whilst opening the door and I only just managed to get changed before she opened the door. The staff really need to wait a bit after knocking and not open it whilst knocking!

It advertises a full kitchen so I was looking forward to being able to cook on a trip however I think this was exaggerating somewhat as all the knives were blunt, no strainer, giant fry pan that did not really fit on the stove and tiny saucepans that could barely fit spaghetti in. You could get by making very simple meals however. The washing machine I did not use but it looked modern and well maintained.

There is no restaurant at this place but they do have a shopping service plus there are tonnes of restaurants nearby. I did miss room service food though when I felt too lazy to go get food.

There is no pool or gym and the lobby is not flash looking. I don't care about these things but it's an FYI to those expecting it to be a full hotel experience. I believe you can get free access to a pool and gym in the area.

For the good stuff - the internet was great - fast and a very decent allowance. I usually stay at Rydges, Stamford Plaza, Rendezvous and places like that and the net is always expensive with very little data allowance so I appreciated this a lot.

The staff were helpful but not overly warm. Never rude however.

The bed is very comfortable (normally hotel pillows are too gigantic but this room had a selection) and the rooms are quiet - I did not hear much traffic noise plus unlike the hotels I mentioned above the walls did not seem to be paper thin and I didn't hear the other guests at all. It's probably the quietest place I have stayed in Auckland so far. It was also great to have a balcony.

Anyway I would happily stay here again despite the issues I mentioned as even though it is not as fancy as the places I normally stay it was MUCH quieter and more comfortable plus it had good net. If it had room service food delivered I'd probably even prefer it over a hotel. As far as being value for money, I have no idea as work booked it.

Thanks.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Franz Josef, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

This motel was very comfortable. The staff were great and everything was clean and tidy.

The continental breakfast was unique bt delicious.

Overall it was ideally located. The sky tower was within a ten minute walk and it was worth the money. It's quite an experience. With such a pretty view.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We booked a one bedroom apartment, with breakfast, for our 2 night stay. We arrived on a late night flight into Auckland and caught a taxi to the hotel. The taxi ride was about 25 minutes and the fare was $75. Check in was swift and easy.
The apartment was very small and there was no space for our suitcases. This was the smallest one bedroom apartment that we have ever stayed in anywhere in the world. It had a double bed which was softer than we are used to, but happily we slept well.
The breakfast was left in our apartment each day - "breakfast box" style. It included a juice box, small tub of yoghurt, a piece of dry cake, a muesli bar and a banana. Tea and coffee facilities were in the room along with a functional kitchenette including a microwave.
The bathroom had a good shower with good water pressure and hot water. A washer/dryer with detergent was also in the apartment which is always a bonus when you are travelling and need to wash clothes. An iron and ironing board came in handy too.
I found the apartment clean and livable. However, because of the small size I would not want to spend more than 2 nights there.
It was a 20 minute walk down to the harbour - a bit less for the central shops.
Check out was 10am but luggage could be left for collection later in the day.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Auckland City Oaks? Share your experiences!