“Three nights at Auckland City Oaks” 4 of 5 stars

Auckland City Oaks
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   188 Hobson Street, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Ranked #28 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“Three nights at Auckland City Oaks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed in a two bedroom apartment. It as perfect for my purposes of attending a conference at Rendezvous. Easy walk to anywhere in CBD. Comfortable and clean. Pleasant staff.
Good kitchen facility. Enjoyed breakfast being delivered each evening, a bonus I hadn't expected.

Room Tip: Front rooms have a balcony & afternoon sun. Back rooms have morning sun.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
UdaiSarin, Manager at Auckland City Oaks, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear Fay
We are so glad to see that you embraced what we offer here at our property. Great rooms, Great service, Great location. I am so pleased you enjoyed your short stopover with us as we enjoyed looking after you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Overall a disappointing stay with the Oaks. We were checked into a small studio room. The room was "well worn", and it didn't look like the carpets had been vacuumed and had plenty of stains. We asked for the carpets to be cleaned on our way out of the hotel the next morning - they were vacuumed upon return, but with the condition of the carpets we were still far from comfortable walking around without shoes.

Also on our second day I noticed on our booking confirmation that it stated we had a one bedroom apartment with a balcony (we were put in a studio with no balcony). When I brought this to the attention of reception, they explained there was no 1 bedroom apartments available. It took several minutes to explain to them this wasn't acceptable, and that I had booked a 1 bedroom apartment with balcony, so either they needed to provide me with some type of refund for compensation of receiving a lesser value room, or give us an upgrade. After about 5 minutes of complaining they eventually offered us a two bedroom apartment for the last two nights of our stay.

The "upgraded" two bedroom apartment did give us a lot more room, however, the overall condition of the room was still very "well worn". We have had good luck with other Oaks hotels in the past, however, our experience with the Auckland City Oaks was disappointing, and I would not stay here again nor recommend it to others.

As a few others have mentioned:
-The free breakfast is basic. We new this going in - but you will definitely be sick of the same muffin, granola bar, banana day after day.
-The internet was a joke, in both rooms. We had a strong signal at all times, yet the speed made it un-usable. We made reception aware of this issue, but nothing every improved.
-Location was pretty good, 5-15 minute walk to the restaurants/shops/dock.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Devan
Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to prove that this is not usual for our hotel. Do not hesitate to contact me directly if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.
Waipahu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stayed at the Oaks for 17 days in a 1 bedroom classic. I really enjoyed my stay, and the unit itself was perfect for me. I was on the 5th floor with my room facing Hobson St. The décor was nice, and I had no issues with cleanliness; my room was serviced daily. My only minor issue I had was with the wifi. It wasn't too good, but that really wasn't a big deal because they had a internet kiosk on the ground floor. The hotel is very centrally located with the Countdown supermarket and the Sky Tower only a 10 minute walk away; a walk to the harbor took me, at most, 20 minutes. All in all, my stay here was a great one, and I wouldn't have any hesitation to book another room at the Oaks; I did get my money's worth.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
UdaiSarin, Manager at Auckland City Oaks, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Kuuper
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience for your long stay. Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

The hotel rooms were fine and the location was very central. The hotel room and bathroom was clean and well kept. There were a few things that just were not up to snuff - sheets were torn, garbage was not cleared when we arrived. I would stay again but this is not going to be your top end type of hotel if that is what you are looking for.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Gary
Thank you for your good review about our central location and cleanness. There are a couple of issues raised in your feedback that will help us improve as a property. I have passed on your recommendations and feedback to the relevant department heads to address.
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed 1 night in 2 bdrm apt with friends to attend an event at Vector Arena. Only 15min walk to Britomart where we had dinner. Extra 5mins from there to Vector. Very close to Skycity and Aotea Centre. Check in was quick n easy. Parking is avail in basement and is extra $25, however, some carparks are double parks requiring you to hand in your keys which is a little annoying esp if you're paying extra. Apartment was comfortable and relatively clean BUT there was an awful smell permeating throughout the entire floor (2nd floor). Smelled like wet carpet and it got worse, especially in the hallways. Also, after parking up, it took a very long time for the elevator to reach us (with our luggage). It finally arrived, only for us to discover it was full of rubbish and dirty laundry. We then had to wait for the poor guy to unload it all. After that, the elevator stunk of rubbish and we couldn't put our luggage on the floor because rubbish had leaked out. A service elevator should be used for this - especially when there are only 2 elevators servicing the entire building.
Would stay again, hopefully smell and elevator issues wouldn't occur twice!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
UdaiSarin, Manager at Auckland City Oaks, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback, we are glad to hear that you had a great stay with us. There are a number of issues raised in your feedback that will help us improve as a property. I have passed on your recommendations and feedback to the relevant department heads to address. We hope to see you back in the near future, thank you for your support.
Hamilton, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

The hotel is relatively modern with good decor. Cleanliness was reasonable but the bathroom needed attention. It is centrally located so most central city attractions and restaurants are within walking distance which saves on driving and parking in Auckland CBD which I find difficult and frustrating at the best of times. The hotel is also well located for access to and from the motorway which does make driving to more distant attractions in Auckland a much simpler and enjoyable task.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
UdaiSarin, Manager at Auckland City Oaks, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear TuxBuzz
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that you had a very positive experience! Please stay in touch with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Nice hotel to stay at for a short period, would not recommend staying here for a long time unless you have very busy day itineraries planned, as quite small rooms. Good facilities, quite close to everything you need in Auckland. Would stay here again, but only for a short stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
UdaiSarin, Manager at Auckland City Oaks, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear Courtzi,
Thank you so much for your feedback. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. We hope to see you back in the near future, thank you for your support.

Been to Auckland City Oaks? Share your experiences!