“Stunning spot, amazing views and the food was incredible” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sugar Club Auckland

The Sugar Club Auckland
Level 53, Sky Tower | Cnr of Federal and Victoria Streets, Auckland, New Zealand
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #54 of 1,295 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Auckland Central, New Zealand
“Stunning spot, amazing views and the food was incredible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I loved the sugar club. What a location, go slightly early to enjoy a drink at The bar - best time is at sunset. The menu is hard to choose from & the service couldn't be faulted. You won't get much change but worth it for a special occasion!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Taiwan
“Awesome view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

It is so popular for tourists to dine "high" in the skytower and that we could hardly reserve a table. We ate the tasting menu but it was not as good as its fame. The white bait was average. On the other hand, the view and service were excellent. It is still worthwhile to try....with lower expectation.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Stunning views and lovely food - another win by Peter Gordon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

This is a great place to take visitors - outstanding food and stunning views. The two don't often go together. The service was great too. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Favourite restaurant! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Second time been here! Awesome food!! Love the idea of designing your own degustation menu. Good selection of wines, and other alcoholic drinks. Love the view from Skycity. Mind you, have to book well in advance!

Wellington, New Zealand
“Creating your own degustation is a great idea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We attended this as a prequel to Valentine's Day 2014. This relatively small restaurant is divided into 1 bar pod and 3 restaurant pods. The bar pod is right next to the Sky Walk area. Seating in this area is pleasant enough but demand, even on a weekday evening, is outstripping supply here. We were dining and arrived a little early and were seated on the last remaining chair and on a small backless low seat. Everything is quite low I assume to make the restricted space look larger.

The waiting staff are the lifeblood of any restaurant for me and these were some of the best I have encountered. Charming, well presented, intelligent and engaging. The menu offers a choice of several small dishes, in any order, with a recommendation that you choose around three to make up a meal. The more you buy the less the price per dish. We had three savoury dishes, a side and a dessert each, two cocktails (7 Dials and Ginger Koha) plus a bottle of mid-priced wine (Te Mata Elston). The whole meal came to $333 which we felt was a bargain. We've paid a lot more at other restaurants and left feeling disappointed. We were told that this was the first time that this particular menu had been trialled and it was good to see that Peter Gordon delivered the first course to each table. A nice touch. I guess he's enjoying this great New Zealand summer! The waiter was also very keen to gauge our reaction to each course. Our overriding impression was of light meals with well balanced but prominent flavours. It is so nice to be able to try so many different courses and not be over full but at the same time satisfied. I tend to be an "eat until I drop" kind of eater whereas my partner is a "one nibble and I'm full" type. We both left satisfied. I had the crayfish, the laksa and the tuna followed by what was described as a deconstructed sticky toffee pudding. My partner had the laksa, the lamb and the beef pesto followed by cheesecake. We shared the watermelon side. Both of us thought the descriptions of the desserts were rather low key compared to the actual experience. So do try them if you think they sound a little ordinary - they're not. I think it's all part of the low hype / great experience attitude Peter Gordon has towards food. My best recommendation is that I will come again. Oh and the view is great too! There is no outside seating :-)

• Visited February 2014