“Perta shawarma is like a family dining room with food cooked by your Mum.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Petra Shawarma

Petra Shawarma
482 New Norh Road | Kingsland, Auckland 1021, New Zealand
(09) 815-8652
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,088 of 1,419 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Perta shawarma is like a family dining room with food cooked by your Mum.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

The atmosphere in this tiny eatery is solely due to the wonderful service you receive there. Physically its just a little shop but the charm and care fro the staff is amazing -like visiting your Mum or a favourite aunt.
Service is slow but everything is prepared to order rather than just reheated. Jordanian food is typically Middle Eastern and therefore delicious especially the desserts and everything is accompanied by tea -cardamon is lovely and easily makes up for the lack of alcohol - this is a Muslim restaurant so it is not permitted.
Dishes are very reasonably priced. I am looking forward to a return visit

• Visited June 2014

Dunfermline, Scotland, United Kingdom
“My favourite place in Auckland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Its not often that I find somewheres cooking excite me so much, I can think of two other places in the world that I would visit regularly. Well Petra Shawarma is now the third. First I should say what you will not get here, fast food it isn't. Be prepared to wait sometime for your meal to arrive, as everything is made from fresh. But be assured the wait is well worthwhile as an array of taste sensations come on humble disposable plates. I love the layout of Petra Shawarma, I love the music they play, I love the affectionate, but in no way overbearing, service you get - I love the experience from start to finish. Its wonderfully unassuming but with a product, in my mind, that deserves more status amongst Aucklands dining scene. Perhaps I'm letting my tastebuds run away with me here, but you will do yourself a service to try this place out to prove me wrong. Highly recommended, 5 stars.

• Visited March 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
“The real thing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

It had been many years since I'd had a genuine Jordanian meal and I never thought I'd have anything like it ever again....until I walked into Petra Shawarma. The amazing smells coming from the kitchen as we waited for our meals, along with the restaurant decor, the music and even hearing the owner and her young daughter in the kitchen speaking to each other in Arabic, took me back in time to when I'd visited Amman, Jordan. It's one of my favorite memories.
This restaurant has also become one of my favorite eateries, and we will most definitely be going back...many times.

• Visited December 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
“Delicious, great value Jordanian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

This is not a kebab shop. This is much, much better. The friendly staff advised us on our order, laid out our cutlery and provided table service. We were dining very early, and could smell our dinner being cooked - pleased to note that many components of the meal were, clearly, made to order. Our mixed sharwerma were delicious, filled with complex, delicious flavour and texture. The hummus side offered lovely contrasts, with added oil and spices, and fresh, tasty, piping-hot pita. A couple of (we guessed) Jordanian men came in and ordered in their language - they also looked pleased with what was served. This photo probably doesn't do the place justice - several other meals which emerged were, perhaps, more photo-worthy. Plenty of options for substitution, for those with dietary restrictions.

• Visited September 2013