“nice brekkie” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #178 of 1,295 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Tapas
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: As a fierce competitor in the Auckland food scene, STK offers the finest local produce to help create traditional dishes with an edgy twist. Our extensive wine list boasts some of New Zealand’s top wines, to compliment any meal you choose. All this is combined with impeccable hospitality and service from a team of professionals who will ensure your STK experience is one to remember.
Waitakere City, New Zealand
“nice brekkie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

not particular fussy eaters, good range in menu, extremely busy morning so hard to find a seat and most of the food was gone within seconds but the lay out of the restaurant is really nice - one thing though, the glasses that the cold drinks come in are TINY, all gone in one mouthful its like a shot glass!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Yolande S, Manager at STK Restaurant & Lounge Bar, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Meg,

Thank you very much for your great review of breakfast at STK Restaurant. I have made a note to get bigger juice glasses for your next visit.
Hope to see you back soon!

Regards

Auckland, New Zealand
“Nice meat!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a Kai Moana and Antipasto Platter to start.
Fritter was ok but pattie was shocking taste, not a worth $25 but Antipasto Platter was good!
For our main, we both had Silere Merino Lamb Rump 200g. Meat was so good!
Our sweet were Strawberry Shortcake Sundae and Banana Cream Pie.
Both are avarage and I think overpriced. Should be below $15.
If somebody wants nice meat, STK is the place to go.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you very much for your review of STK Restaurant & Lounge Bar. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your meal with us, especially the Lamb Rump!
I have passed on your comments to our executive chef regarding the Kai Moana.
We hope to see you back soon

Australia
“Breakfast okay - but the bacon needs better cooking!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Breakfast here was okay - standard business hotel fare with mix of buffet and continental. Service when I was present was rushed (some spillover of customers into the bar area) but staff clearly trying hard. Three stars basically goes to the chef who, when I asked him why the bacon had bits of white fat speckled all over it (like you get when you cook meat while still frozen) said that it was because he had to cook it in the tray in bulk. The fatty bits I kept scraping off and accumulating on the side of my plate put me off eating...please clean the trays! Everything else was fine.

Visited January 2013
Yolande S, Manager at STK Restaurant & Lounge Bar, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Shawn,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding breakfast at STK Restaurant.
I appreciate your review as it helps us determine any shortcomings in the restaurant and where we can improve.
I have taken up the method of preparation of the bacon with the chef and I am confident on your return you will find beatiful New Zealand bacon grilled to perfection.

If you are in our area again, please pop in for breakfast to showcase you our improvements and offcourse I would love to catch up with a coffee next time you dine with us.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Worst service I have had in a long time.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

This is supposed to be quite a good restaurant. That wasn't our experience. Having been told to find our own table, we waited 20 minutes before anyone even came to see if we would like drinks or to take our order. If we hadn't been exhausted and jet lagged by the flight from the UK we would have walked out.

Eventually our order was taken. It was another hour before the food arrived. In fact we had just decided to leave and go to bed hungry when it finally turned up. The food was OK although my wife's meat balls were dry and unappetising.

The staff were apologetic, but there was no attempt to make concrete amends such as a discount or a free breakfast the next day. We wouldn't go back.

Dear Paul,

Thank you so much for your review on STK Restaurant, I am disappointed to read that you had to wait for your meal for such a long time and that the meatballs was not up to standard. I have taken up both issues with front of house and with the kitchen and with your comments and feedback I am sure we would be able to improve our service to all future guests.
I do hope we can welcome you back to STK Restaurant very soon so we can have the chance to change your initial impressions with us to a much more favourable one that we are known for.

Auckland, New Zealand
“Very good but not perfect in a crowded maket place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We visited STK at the Rydges using a Groupon voucher. We bought the voucher because we stayed at the Wellington Rydges in November and ate at the Portlander, which we loved.

The food at STK was very good but not as good as the Portlander. Furthermore, the atmosphere in the restaurant is no match for the Portlander, which is more has better decor and isn't as big. I was also surprised that all of the diners we seated as far away from other diners as possible. Surely the best way to create an atmosphere is to seat people a little closer?

For starters we had the Kai Moana (whitebait fritter & paua pattie) and seared scallops with pork belly. The scallops were superb and matched perfectly with the pork belly. However Kai Moana was quite possibly the worst starter that I've eaten since arriving in NZ last year. The fritter was ok for a fish and chip shop but the paua pattie should not have been on the plate.

For mains we had sirloin and scotch wakanui steaks with bearnaise and peppercorn sauces and sides of dauphinoise potatos and onion rings. We couldn't fault the mains at all. They were absolutely superb and two of the best steaks that we've ever had. However, at $45 just for the steaks they are very expensive.

For dessert we had Strawberry Shortcake Sundae and Banana Cream Pie. They were pleasant desserts but nothing more and at $17 per portion they are seriously overpriced.

If I could I would have given STK 3.5 stars but think that it just deserves the 4. It's over priced given that Depot is just up the road and there you can get a 5 star atmosphere and far better value. However, if you're looking for a good steak then forget about the starters and desserts and give STK a go.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Carl,

Thank you so much for your review on STK Restaurant & Lounge Bar.
I do apologise that your experience with us was less than satisfactory.
Please be assured that all comments and suggestions are not taken lightly and by your comments and feedback we are able to improve and ensure that this does not re-occur.

I am glad to hear that you had great food and great service at the Portlander in Wellington, I will pass on the good comments to Rob and the team, I am sure they will very much appreciate the feedback you provided.