PROS: the place is really clean and it seems to be well run and maintained. The staff is friendly and there are plenty of restaurants in the area. The fifth floor girl's showers seem to be new and are really nice with little door you can lock while you shower (they do however need to add more hooks for your towels, clothes, toiletries as there is currently only one hook). The clientele, while at first I was apprehensive, are actually more respectful and quieter than your typical hostel. They have two security guards that walk the floors at night for safety. One towel, nice sheets and a very soft duvet are provided.
CONS: the female bathrooms are only on the forth and fifth floor, very inconvenient if you're on the second floor. The forth floor showers are old and the only thing between you and the hallway door is a flimsy curtain (you can only put your things on one hook provided outside the curtain where you can't watch your things while showering). We got a room facing the street and across the hall from the kitchen, this made for constant street noise all night long and funky smells from the kitchen at dinner time. The clientele is a bit shabby and one man in particular liked to stare at me as I walked to/from the bathroom, it made me uncomfortable. It's about 30 mins walking (stroll) to the main area on Queen's street but its a comfortable walk. There are no trashcans in the bathrooms or shower areas (toilet stalls have feminine hygiene trashcans) but if you want to throw away your loose hairs from the shower or an empty shampoo bottle, you have to carry them 3 floors down; it seems most people just leave them in the shower. :(
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- YMCA Hostel is part of an International Non-Profit Organisation, which strives for positive impact on community.We provide clean and comfortable rooms at affordable prices. Housekeepers perform Daily Vacuuming and Weekly Linen Service. Vacuum is hired from Reception for personal use.YMCA also offers Laundry Facilities with Soap, Very cheap Wireless Internet Plans, Public Lounge with Sky Satellite TV, Pool Table, Internet Kiosks, Dining Room with TV, Kitchenette with Cutlery and Kitchen essentials hired at Reception, Telephone Booth with Call Forwarding to take incoming calls and Public Parking from 6pm ~ 7am on Weekdays and All Day Weekends.We are not only great for backpackers and travellers but also ideal long-term accommodation for students and those working in the CBD. We even offer accommodation for groups.You’re just…- 2 minutes walk from Karangahape Road, Auckland’s multi cultural suburb and clubbing district.- 5 minutes walk from Queen Street, the CBD with fantastic shopping.- 10 minutes walk from Ponsonby, Auckland’s trendiest inner city suburb full of bars restaurants and cafes.- 15 minutes walk from Auckland University and AUT, some of New Zealand’s premier education and training institutions.- Next to New World Free Shuttle Stop and very close to Dressmart Free Shuttle Stop. You’ll also find yourself near the Waitemata harbour, beautiful Auckland beaches, parks and gardens and the bus station, railway station and ferry terminal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, HostelBookers, Priceline, Agoda, Tingo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, HostelWorld and Venere so you can book your YMCA Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ymca Hotel Auckland Central
- YMCA Hostel Auckland, New Zealand