“Overall this hostel was pretty good and I overall enjoyed my stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of YMCA Hostel

Save Saved
You added YMCA Hostel to your Saves list
YMCA Hostel
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   Corner Pitt Street and Greys Avenue, Auckland, New Zealand   |
Seattle, Washington
“Overall this hostel was pretty good and I overall enjoyed my stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

PROS: the place is really clean and it seems to be well run and maintained. The staff is friendly and there are plenty of restaurants in the area. The fifth floor girl's showers seem to be new and are really nice with little door you can lock while you shower (they do however need to add more hooks for your towels, clothes, toiletries as there is currently only one hook). The clientele, while at first I was apprehensive, are actually more respectful and quieter than your typical hostel. They have two security guards that walk the floors at night for safety. One towel, nice sheets and a very soft duvet are provided.
CONS: the female bathrooms are only on the forth and fifth floor, very inconvenient if you're on the second floor. The forth floor showers are old and the only thing between you and the hallway door is a flimsy curtain (you can only put your things on one hook provided outside the curtain where you can't watch your things while showering). We got a room facing the street and across the hall from the kitchen, this made for constant street noise all night long and funky smells from the kitchen at dinner time. The clientele is a bit shabby and one man in particular liked to stare at me as I walked to/from the bathroom, it made me uncomfortable. It's about 30 mins walking (stroll) to the main area on Queen's street but its a comfortable walk. There are no trashcans in the bathrooms or shower areas (toilet stalls have feminine hygiene trashcans) but if you want to throw away your loose hairs from the shower or an empty shampoo bottle, you have to carry them 3 floors down; it seems most people just leave them in the shower. :(

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
YMCAhostel, Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this review, April 28, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

Happy you found our Staff to be friendly and the Hostel to be clean and well maintained. We have renovated most of the Hostel, 5th floor shower is one of them, I will investigate the possibility of installing few more hooks, however, we do around 4 hooks close to Wall.

YMCA is a place to everyone, our Clientele are mostly Students and Backpackers, for instance, in March 2013 we had over 60% of Backpackers and 20% of Students, the other 20% are divided into several small segments.

As I mentioned above we only have one more floor to renovate, and I'm sorry if the conditions of the shower on the 4th floor did not meet your expectations, I have taken your suggestion into account and we will definitely change few things around the shower set-up. Additionally it would be very good if you could contact us to provide more details about your stay.

Once again, thank you very much for your comments.

Manager

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
delhi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Is ok kinda stay suitable for backpackers and not families I would suggest, no option of ensuites with toilets, shared kitchen closes as early as 10.30pm, in that budget u can get something better..............

• Stayed April 2013
YMCAhostel, Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

Our Hostel is suitable to everyone, we do provide one family room with an ensuite facility as well, (which is a top seller) and I'm sorry if we didn't communicate to you. Our kitchens close at 10.30pm; however, we provide a Dining room with a Microwave. Kettle, TV and Toaster for 24 hours. Additionally, our rates are studied and benchmarked carefully so we never have any abusive price.

Once Again thank you for your feedback, I appreciate the time and effort you have put into it.

cleethorpes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Good choice for a budget stay,single room clean with clean fridge.Shower spotlessly clean as were toilets.Staff always happy to help.Good location for city centre quarter of an hour walk to Skytower
Only downside Auckland is the hilliest city Ive ever visited.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
YMCAhostel, Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

Happy you consider YMCA Hostel to be a good choice of accommodation.

Kind regards.
Centre Manager.
perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights in a single room. Room was basic, but very clean and spacious. Included a cupboard, single bed, desk and bar fridge (large enough to fit groceries). Hostel was well located, approx 20 min walk to viaduct harbour. Was close to lots of dining places so easy to grab a quick bite in the morning/evening. Was also walking distance to Ponsonby and the Domain. Staff at reception were very friendly upon arrival and happy to answer questions about Auckland and NZ. Only complaint is that the walls must have been very thin as I could hear people talking in adjacent rooms/the hallways during the evening and early morning which disrupted my sleep. There was also noise from nearby washing machines late at night and in the morning (although the washing facilities were shut at about 10pm and re-opened at 6am). There was also a spacious lounge with a pool table and tv on the ground floor. Bathrooms and toilets were clean and I never waited to use them.
Would probably stay again- biggest complaint is noise from other guests (just general talking, there was no issues with loud/drunknen behaviour at all). Other people staying there were mainly students.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
YMCAhostel, Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments.

We found your feedback to be very complete and constructive, glad you found our accommodation to be clean and with a good service.

Battipaglia, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I admit I am not such a hostel addicted. However, YMCA-Auckland is not simply a hostel. It is a safe and very clean place. Of course you have to share some facilities, but mantainance people are really very efficient and shared bathrooms and shower are always clean. I stayed in a single room and it was good enough. Internet connection has to be separately paid, but it is not so expensive. The place is very close to the center and it is definitely impossible to get a cheaper hotel in the nearby. The receptionists are so nice.
My experience is really very good!!!"

Room Tip: If you can choose, prefer floors where the kitchens are not located, to avoid food smells; otherwise...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
YMCAhostel, Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Guest.

Thank you for your feedback.

We appreciate all your comments and very glad you found us to be a 5 Star Hostel.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed a 5 nights in February and I found that the facilities were kept clean even with the renovations being done to from what I saw to the exterior of the building.

I had single room, although some may view it as basic, it had everything that I needed which included fridge, space to hang your clothes and shelving to put everything else. The only downside I could say about the room was that it could stuffy by the end of the day due to having closed up, but if you opened your window and had your door opened a jar for a while it fixed the problem.

From the hostel I was able to walk to all the places I wanted.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
YMCAhostel, Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest.

Thank you for your feedback.

Our aims was to renovate but keep the Cleanliness standards, the Housekeeping team is really pleased with your comments. In regards the room, I'm glad you have everything you need, all the rooms in YMCA Hostel contain a desk and chair, fridge, Wireless connection, Wardrobe, and we provide all the linen (including towels).

This summer (2013) has been at least the best summer in the last 5 years, New Zealand usually has a mild summer and we were not expecting such high temperatures, however, we do provide Fans at the reception and I'm sorry if it was not communicated to you.

Once again thank you very much for your comments.
Brno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have booked 17 nights in this hostel and I can say that I have made positive experience.
Helpful staff, very good location - 5 minutes walking to city link and inner link bus stop - a lot of clubs in the area, also a brothel and fire station :)

Clean room and shared bathroom, normal walls (not thin as expected), cheap price for single room. It has been little bit noisy during nights because of the main street but it didnt bother my sleep.

Wifi connection was working (some few minutes outages occurred).

I did not like the bed because of the grids on both ends (Could not sleep on the stomach).

If I will visit Auckland again Im sure which hostel I will choose. YMCA :-)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
YMCAhostel, Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

We are very happy you think staff is helpful, rooms are very clean and we are in a good location. Glad you stayed 15 nights and could experience a bit of our service. Apologise about the new beds, however, we do have other options in other floors were the bed does not have grids; we will make sure you have one of them if you come back to Auckland.

Once again thank you for your comments and ratings, very much appreciated by the team.

Centre Manager.

Been to YMCA Hostel? Share your experiences!