“Comfortable but!” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Hobson Street, Auckland 1001, New Zealand   |
Ranked #48 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
“Comfortable but!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Read helpful reviews on Trip Advisor before we booked so we were well aware to book for carparking and being charged an extra $30per night for carparking. Then every time that you enter or leave the carpark, you have to ask front desk to buzz you either in or out. It kind of became a hassle after a while but we were pre warned. ...
Room was nice but tv was very loud every time you first turmed it on....heating thermostat was also broken but room was warm enough.
Went down to the restaurant for dinner on our last night but was informed that only microwaved meals were available so headed out elsewhere for dinner.
Staff were friendly and plesent and the Hotel was nice and we did enjoy our stay there but wouldn't go back due to carparking issues.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Manukau
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed for a night in town for a birthday celebration (we live in Manukau). Not the best place we've every stayed but certainly not the worst. Amazing views, huge deck (we were on the 13th floor) clean but tired and always great having full kitchen facilities. Also used the pool, which was also quite tired and tried to use the spa but didn't seem to be working.
All in all, ok price-a little on the steeper side but did get a room with a view, ok room, great location (close to Viaduct, Sky Tower) sky TV stations weren't on the chanels advised so couldn't get a music station. I found the men on reception very good. Didn't go to restaurant as it closed too early! Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor if available
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Not overly impressed with the Grand Chancellor. We had booked a lead in room, street facing & was surprised at how small it was. We only had a shower over bath, which I thought was disappointing for the price.

As we were enjoying a NZ road trip, we had a car & this was more than inconvenient for the check in staff. They had no spaces in their over priced car park ($30NZD per night) so we had to park in the Wilson's up the road & had to lug our bags down the street.

The wifi was also not included in the price & was ridiculously expensive.

This hotel was close to Viaduct Harbour, that would really be the Grand Chancellors only selling point.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Pukekohe, Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We have stayed at the Grand Chancellor a number of times but this time we booked into a one bedroom apartment with a harbour view. We were on the 11th floor and we had a fantastic view over the harbour and viaduct. The apartment was very spacious and well set out and had a very well equipped kitchen. There was no noise from the viaduct which was a pleasant surprise.
Recently there has been a change in the car parking and you now need to pre-book your parking when you book your accommodation which is no mentioned on website such as Expedia. The cost for overnight parking is $30 but if you park in the Wilson carpark which is next door to the hotel and cost is only $24.00.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I arrive at 7pm and I was served by an Asian older men, he was very un interested in serving me to begin with he thought he was doing me a favour being there. I asked if I could have a nice view and he told me it cost to have nice views!!! I was happy to pay the difference I paid an extra $110NZ on top of my all ready paid room, Also I asked for wifi and he said that also costs!???? What??? I have traveled to many places around the world never been charged $10NZ for 2 hours. What are they thinking!??
I arrived to my room and from the first glance it's clean then I noticed the dry blood stain on the bed covers :( Yuukkkk. Went to see the view by the window and all I saw was a lot of roof tops in front of me, eventually in a distance you could hardly see the harbour. I was very disappointed, by the service, the cost, the room and the view.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Princeton Junction, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Granted I had just come from one of the best hotels ever, and my stay here was tolerable. While the manager and Front Desk Staff were very friendly and helpful, the hotel itself and rooms leave something to be desired. The first impression matters and that was the carpet - it should have been replaced long ago.
The first three floors are a hotel - and the room I saw was in below standard condition. The rest of the floors are rented out for the owner and this one was adequate. The Internet is expensive and lasts for 500mb or 24 hours, whichever comes first. Each block has to be re-booked with a new access code - very inconvenient, especially for business traveling. The bathrooms only have showers and this one was small with an awkward entry. There is no restaurant - only a small room that offers breakfast and a few supper dishes, at way too expensive prices. My room faced the street - I think most of them do - which meant sleep was limited. The maid service was also under-par - they seemed to want to do the minimum, and sometimes that was less than minimum.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

After a long flight into Auckland I made my way to the Grand Chancellor hotel looking forward to some rest. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful to get me checked into the room quickly. The lobby was small and aged looking a bit more like a hostel than hotel.

The room was on the 2nd floor so there was a lot of street noise. The room is large but very old. Unfortunately the smell matched the appearance of the aged room. The bed was old, linens were not clean and felt dirty.

There were several people running and yelling in the hall then would go outside and run and yell then back into the hotel up and down the halls. This continued until about 1:00am. The hotel staff did nothing to attempt to curtail this.

The Wifi was OK speed but at a fee of $25 for 24 hours is expensive. Note this is for only 1 device so if you have 2 devices you should expect to pay double this price. The TV was the smallest I have seen in recent years but it did work OK with a reasonable amount of channels.

The hotel room is equipped with a cook top, microwave, refrigerator and sink for long stay. Also there are mailboxes in the lobby so possibly this could be used for extended stay.

I was scheduled for multiple nights in this property but after an appeal to the front desk was allowed to leave the next morning without penalty.

Location is great near the harbor but with so many options in the area I will try my luck somewhere different next time. Maybe just bad luck with the room or bad timing with the noise during my visit.

Room Tip: Get a high floor away from the street to keep the noise down.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to Grand Chancellor Auckland Hotel? Share your experiences!