“Disgusting Hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Disgusting Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Arrived for a show in Auckland at 6pm. If I wasn't late for the show I would have left the hotel right after first walking into the room but I did not have the time. The bathroom was tiny and impossible to move around in. The shower hardly extended to shoulder height. It was also dirty. The plug for the bath leaked so my wife couldn't even enjoy a tiny bath. The walls were stained, nearly every tile on the bathroom floor was chipped or broken. My computer screen on my laptop is bigger than the TV, the walls are paper thin so I can hear whoever is having an argument with their partner next door, the couches are grubby and the cupboard space reminds me of an old broom cupboard. I stay in many hotels every year and I will never come back to this dump. I will also make a point of telling everyone that I know how bad this place is. We were going to stay here for two nights but I have already booked another hotel for the second night in Auckland. Pathetic! This is 2012 people. Shape up or bugger off.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
S.EAST
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I recently stayed here for 1 night on arrival into Auckland and although it is very basic, if you were staying for a few nights it is a good hotel for self-catering. It is quite basic, but clean. However, if you want to be in the centre of Auckland, I would recommend booking a different hotel as it is in a difficult location (walking under the carriage way) and there are alternatives in a much more central location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
New Plymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I had read all the reviews for this place and took a chance by booking it as it had mixed reviews but there was a very good deal on offer...so why not!. I was pleasantly surprised and happy with my decision to stay at the grand chancellor as it was value for money. The room justified the price that I had paid and the staff were very accommodating and helpful. They desk was very busy on Sunday morning due to a drunkard hassling the staff but it was dealt with by the staff professionally. The room although a bit tired was adequate and spacious and had good kitchen facilities. The location is perfect for a night out in town. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms higher up in the building if you want a good view. Fanshawe Street facing rooms are be...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Coolum Beach, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I recently stayed for 8 days on business in a 1 bedroom apartment. Let me start by saying this hotel is tired and in need of a major refurbishment. This is evident, not just in the apartment, but in the lobby and the restaurant.
There was no blanket on the bed and no spare blankets or pillows in the wardrobe. No compendium in the room and no room service menu. When I rang and asked for a menu I was told that there currently isn't one as they're updating the menu and it won't be available for "many weeks". I asked if they could make me something gluten free and was told that there was nothing gluten free in the entire kitchen. Very frustrating as I chose this hotel because of it's 24 hour room service claim and because I am a single female and don't want to be out walking the city by myself in the dark looking for gluten free food.

The apartment was adequate but tired looking and very bland. The sofa was old and sagging. The tv screens were the size of laptop screens (seriously!). The tiles in the bathroom floor were cracked and the shower (over bath) was very, very small. I am a 5'7 small female and I barely fitted in the shower/bath. The shower nozzle is also very low down the wall meaning I had to bend down to wash my hair under it. I have no idea how taller people would manage.

The reception staff were generally helpful. The restaurant staff were sullen and didn't seem to want to be there.

The windows aren't double glazed and street noise was audible at night. The balcony door had no way of latching it back and, if open, would bang in the wind. There were no available power points at the desk for me to plug in my laptop unless I removed the power for the desk lamp or the tv. The hotel advertising promises complimentary newspapers but if you aren't at reception by 8 am to collect one they're all gone.

All up I won't be returning to the Hotel Grand Chancellor, Auckland has too many good hotels to waste time retuning to the not so good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This place is offered cheap and there is a reason. The building is really badly put together - we inspected a room which was cheap and clean but we noticed that even though the place is pretty new, tiles in the bathroom were badly cracked and the wall linings were kind of coming away in places. whoever cleaned the joint had emptied half a can of Glen 20 in there and although it was clean - it stank. Really nice guys on reception but a pretty bodgy place. Parking is $30 per day. Better elsewhere.

Room Tip: Might be OK if you want a three bedroom apartment
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Wagga Wagga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The staff did not really present as friendly – it seemed that they didn’t really want to be there – just going through the motions of the day!!
The room was OK. Bed was that low it was almost like sleeping on the floor! For a suite that was supposed to be fully self-contained – it wasn’t. Went through the kitchenette draws, found an egg flip but no fry pan – when I asked reception, they gave me a flat wide saucepan with lid and said it was the best they could do! The fridge was that full of mini bar products, I had to empty it to fit my food in there!!
The TVs in the room don’t match the advertising at all!! Little tiny things, attached to the wall, with no swivel. When you sat on the lounge, you had to twist yourself about 45 degrees to see the TV. The one in the bedroom was not much better!!
The noise from the early morning peak hour traffic was a rude awakening each morning!
The bathroom was functional, although the position of the toilet roll holder left a lot to be desired!! To dam close to your elbow nd I nearly put my back out trying to negotiate the use of the roll!!! Floor tiles need to be replaced – the door looks like it has has sucked up too much moisture (fuzzy edges and all!)
Oh and I can’t forget the curtains!! I had to use a dining chair in the lounge and the bedroom to KEEP the curtains closed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Location is great in the heart of Auckland CBD. The price was cheap but the accommodation was cheaper. The rooms could do with a lick of paint, the smell of disinfectant was overwhelming in the room which isn't a good sign. The staff were only ok & not overly welcoming, just happy to do their job. My room was next to a construction zone which didn't allow for a sleep in. I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get into a better Hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Chancellor Auckland Hotel? Share your experiences!