“Shabby, poorly maintained hotel” 2 of 5 stars

You added Quest on Eden to your Saves list
Quest on Eden
4.0 of 5 Villa   |   52 Eden Crescent, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Shabby, poorly maintained hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Ok so I paid $110pn and I wasn't expecting the Hilton. But I do expect a clean room with workable facilities.
I booked online and saw that I needed to book a carpark so I did so and the email trail with Adrian was friendly and welcoming. So far so good.
I arrived at 5pm on the Tuesday night there was no where to park in order to check in so I pulled into the entrance to the car park and ran in to ask where I could leave my car in order to check in. The receptionist said the car was fine there and so I proceeded to check in despite my misgivings about where the car was left. The receptionist swiped my card and I asked about paying in the morning when I leave. She said that was fine and she gave me my room key, a car park entrance and a HUGE list of housekeeping rules. Being concerned about my car I didn't read it I just darted out the door to my car to find an annoyed looking person parked in the middle of the street wanted to get access to the carpark! I had been instructed to park on the lower level so I pushed the entrance to the door as it lifted up it revealed a dark poky garage with a wide driveway going up and a small winding pathway off to the left! I went up the driveway thinking "they couldn't possibly expect me to get my car in the small drive" but yes, that was the way down. I slowly negotiated my way down and managed to get into my ridiculously placed car park.. if you are wanting a park here I would say DO NOT DO IT!!!! Small car park, my mid size Toyota really struggled to get in and out.
Anyway, got up to my room. It was small but there was just me in the room so that was OK. Well lit with a nice little balcony. Would have been nice to have a chair out there but there was nothing so I just opened the sliding door and sat on the single bed. Flicked through the list of housekeeping rules and the directory. Upset to find out I was an hour too late to order breakfast. So I went to the little convenience store next door and bought some bread, peanut butter, cereal and milk and retired to my room.
Went to have a shower at this point. Housekeeping had cleaned the room but there were missing tiles on the walls and a sign said "more towels in the lower cupboards" but on checking I found none. Also housekeeping had left the shower nozzle so that when I turned the shower on it sprayed straight at me and all over the floor. had to use towels to clean it up and then found out later that if I had stained any of them I would have had to PAY for them!
The shower ran cold while I was in it.
There was no central heating so I had to use the oil heater which was old and I really didn't trust it.
The pillows were rock hard. but the bed was soft and comfortable
There was a crack in the stove top. I mentioned this to the receptionist on check out as I didn't want to be charged for it. Also the dishwasher lid where the powder goes wouldn't close either and so I had to leave dirty dishes in the washer for the cleaning staff.
There were cobwebs on the balcony.
The toilet didn't flush properly. I had to hold it down for about 6 seconds to get it to do anything adn then give it some short sharp flushes to get it to finish the job.
Went down next morning to check out as I said I would to find no one on reception but to be fair the reception hours were printed on the long list of housekeeping rules I got on check in. i went back up to my room and returned at 8am when reception opened.
On checking out I reiterated what I had discussed with Adrian about leaving my car in the park till 12 when my training conference ended. the receptionist said it was fine she was there all day. I had to hand back in my car park pass and when I returned at 12 to get my car (freezing cold, hungry and wet as i had to walk 2 blocks in the rain with no umbrella) there was no one on a reception to give me my pass back. A note on the door said they would "be back soon". This was the final straw and I just wnated to get my car and get on the road so I called the main hotel desk and spoke to a very rude lady who said she would try find someone to assist. In the meantime the receptionist came back and said she would wait at the top of the narrow drive and open the door for me so I could get out.
I think Quest on Eden should sign up for one of those Gordon Ramsay specials where he goes into a hotel and shows them hoe to run the place properly. Seriously. This place does have potential but when I pay over a hundred doallrs for a room I expect a flushing toilet and warm shower. Seriously.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We absolutely loved our stay at Quest on Eden and didn't want to leave. I read so many varying reviews on this serviced apartment hotel before making the booking and after staying here can confidently say that it was one of the nicest places we have ever stayed. We enjoyed the Harborview from 6th Level, breakfast at Gloria Café and a specious well appointed two bedroom apartment. I don't know what other people can complain about.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed in the Quest on Eden on 3 May in a two bedroom apartment. The overall impression was of a place which was well appointed 15 years ago but has become tired and dated. The location is good but the facilities are in urgent need of improvement.

We arrived in Auckland earlier than expected and telephoned to see if we could check in early. No problems. When we arrived at the Quest, the check in was quick and easy.

The first indication of the wear and tear on the room was that the key would not come out of the lock when we opened the door. We had to call the manager who explained that the locks were worn and we had to hold the barrel in the lock to get the key out.

The rooms were reasonably spacious and acceptably clean but everything was old and in need of refurbishment. For example, the TVs are old CRT units and the picture on the living room one was shifted vertically so all the heads were cut off. Some buttons on the old clock radio did not work so it was impossible to set the time. In the bathroom, paint was starting to peel off the wall over the shower.

The beds were hard and kept us from sleeping well. Another factor which kept us awake was the lack of air conditioning. Although it is autumn, the unit was humid and needed ventilation. That meant we had to have windows open and the noise was instrusive. I would not even consider staying here in summer.

The bathroom had a very good shower but the light was so poor it was impossible for my wife to put on her make up there. The towels were clean but thin and small.

Another plus was the fully equipped kitchen but, as with the rest of the unit, the appliances were old, as were the pots and pans.

Had we been staying in this unit 15-20 years ago, I think we would have been pleased but, in 2013, it was no more than adequate.

If there had been 4 of us, I suppose the price of $200 per night would have been OK but for two people, it was not good value.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stayed here with a group- we had 3 small apartments.

The apartment I stayed in was modern-ish, but obviously not cleaned well. There was dirt on the light switches, you could see on the drawers where they had done a quick wipe, the bathroom looked pretty gross and the oven was dirty etc etc. There was a black hair on the underside of my pillow (I'm blonde so it wasn't mine.) Nothing horrifically obvious but clearly the rooms are not cleaned very well.

The rooms were very small, but functional.
I had to ask for more dishwashing powder and washing liquid- they seem to be quite stingy in the amounts they give you.

I got a flea bite on the first night, but to be fair no one else did so it may have been a mosquito.

I talked to the others about it and they said their rooms were ok, so maybe we got a dud.

The service was good and the location was excellent- right next to the Vector arena.

I would't stay here again though. Slightly too unclean to feel comfortable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Palmerston North, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed here as it looked tidy and for a reasonable price and a good location. Was not expecting the sky city grand but from the outset the service was terrible! We arrived and enquired about the parking (that online said was avalible) which we were then told you had to state it in the comments when booking but no where did it say this, we ended up having to park around the block which was not ideal.
Credit card was charged in full on arrival when we adivsed that no infact we wanted to pay via eftpos (The CC was just for booking as is normal at hotels) the receptionest was very rude and even argued with us when we suggested (very friendly) they let people know that is what they do as its not normal policy for a hotel/apartment facility to charge on arrival.
The Rooms were not very nice at all. Very Dated and due to this just did not feel clean.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Avoid this place! This was supposed to be a 4 stars hotel but apparently on a scale of 20!

Me and my two colleagues spent 1 week in this hotel due to a business trip. When we arrived to the room, we discovered dirty carpet and bed covers that probably haven't been cleaned in a long time! When we wanted to wash and dry our clothes, the tumble dryer didn't work properly and left some kind of dirt on them. (To top it, we had to PAY extra in order to get more washing powder. The same applies to the dishwasher). We had to point out to the cleaning staff what has to be done (trash, toilet paper) and we learned that if we leave a stain on a bathroom towel, we have to PURCHASE it.

We also had problems with Internet - we bought a 1 week pack for $50 which lasted for 2-3 days. When we went to the reception desk to ask what was happening, the manager refused to give us a solution and explained in a VERY RUDE way that we used too much GB and if we want more, we need to pay (Apparently, there was a limit of GB, but this information was nowhere to be found!!). The manager was EXTREMELY UNPLEASANT, insulted us and refused to apologize! I really don't know how he became a manager of a hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Adrian C, Manager at Quest on Eden, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for taking time to place a review on Trip Advisor website.

We understand your frustration regarding the usage of website. You bought a one-week Internet access for $50.00. You have been advised that this is for one singles computer and also, you have been acknowledged on the check-in undersigned with your signature that you will be responsible under the Copyright Amendment Act 2011 for downloading unauthorized materials.
Unfortunately, you disregarded this agreement and you logged in with three computers and you used your allocation of 8Gb in two days.
After two days you called late in the night and I came from my time off and issued you a FREE one-day Internet ($15.00) to help you to continue your connection and next day to clarify with Internet Provider Company.
Because you knew what you were doing, you avoided to accept reconciliation with Internet Provider and on the third day you raise another issue at Reception.
The Receptionist gave you again for FREE another one-week access ($50.00) and promised to manage with Internet Provide the situation.
I personally talked with the Internet Provider and finally they explained that your traffic is with 3 computers and you are downloading with 3 computers using 8Gb in 2 days.
But you came at Reception on 5th day asking for another access and I explained I have already issued two FREE accesses already ($15.00 + $50.00) and if you would like to have a new connection, you have to buy another one to fulfill your need.

What we don’t understand is why you placed such statements regarding the cleanness. It is obviously for anybody reading your review that is a kind of revenge.
The best proof is even from your own statement: “And the cherry on the top - during the last night we realized there were FLEAS in our room!!!” As you mentioned, you stayed 7 days. If in the last night you realized there were fleas in your room, it is obviously you brought from somewhere. It is just easy to observe there were no fleas in the room, is just your way to punish an accommodation provider for not continuing to give you FREE facilities.

We do apologies we cannot provide more FREE stuff, our Internet provider is charging us as well. There might be somewhere else in the world places with free Internet access and maybe our place will be free as well sometime. But not now. Wish you all the best.
Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Unfriendly stuff and manager, dirty rooms, never cleaned only changed towels and emptied bin. Was bitten by bed bugs. Internet nearly never worked. NEVER AGAIN! It is the second time that I stayed in Auckland, the first time I stayed in a cheap hostel which was much better than this expensive hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Quest on Eden? Share your experiences!