“Tough walk, but well worth it.” 5 of 5 stars

Rangitoto Island Tour from Auckland
Ranked #9 of 186 things to do in Auckland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: This volcanic island, which last erupted 600 years ago, offers bird-watching, swimming, fishing, walking trails, colorful flora and spectacular views from the summit of its cone-shaped mountain.
3 attraction reviews
“Tough walk, but well worth it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

My husband and I did the walk to the summit in just over an hour and found it quite tough, especially as we got closer to the top. Make sure you have good shoes, as it can be quite slippery in parts, especially if it has recently rained (which it had the night before we went). The views from the top make the walk well worth it, we got some great photos of the city skyline. On the way back down we went through the lava caves which was really cool. It is a very interesting place, and so rewarding when you get to the top.
I wish there were a few more info boards on the island, and also that there were more ferries throughout the day, as we would've liked to stay about an hour longer, but there were only 2 ferries off the island, and if we didn't get the first, the next one was 3 hours later, which we felt would've been too long on the island.

• Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great View of Auckland's Surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

This is a quick day trip for sure. The ferry out there isn't too long and it's very beautiful - especially if you catch it on a day where there are a lot of sailors out and about. Great views. The hike itself is a little bit steep, so brace yourself for that...but the view from the top is worth every step. I'm in my 20s, so the hike wasn't really bad at all...but when my friend and I decided to try and race up one of the steepest parts of the climb, I died out pretty quick. It still took us about 45-60min though. Coming back down, there is another pathway that leads to some caves and stuff like that. Definitely go check those out! Very cool to see, and you can squeeze through little cracks and crevices if you're feeling adventurous.

Interesting place as people aren't allowed to live there anymore and the only houses that remain are a few near the dock. There is lots of volcanic rock too and that is an awesome experience to see and walk on. Do it!

Visited August 2012
Lake Macquarie, Australia
6 attraction reviews
“Made it!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

They told us it was a comfortable hours walk to the top. Yes it was an hour, but not always comfortable. The track went up... and up...and up - for an hour. But we made it (and were the oldest by many years) to the top of the volcano. The views were great and the experience was definitely worth the effort. Highly recommend, but a level of fitness is required.

beautiful Harpers Ferry WV
45 attraction reviews
“*huff* *puff*”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is a real nice island, I won't repeat what others have said below.

I will just say that if you are, oh, 80 pounds overweight like me, leave about 2 HOURS for the walk up. (The walk down ain't all that easy either, since you're tired -- I saw numerous people fall.)

The time allotment is important since there's a final ferry heading back to Auckland and you need to be on it! In retrospect, I should have taken an earlier ferry out to the island.

Visited March 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
27 attraction reviews
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

To do on a sunny day !! It's a short ferry trip and a good climb to the top. Rewarded by beautiful views over the harbour and surrounding islands. A must-do to see the volcanic rock !