We arrived at Mollies via taxi just as the rain began. We were quite a bit early, and didn't expect to be able to check in, but were welcomed by Frances who dropped everything and graciously gave us a grand tour of the house. We had no idea that it was a house of music, but we could see the beauty immediately. When we were taken to our room, my mom burst into tears. There was opera playing on the CD player, and our room was a three room suite with a parlor looking out onto St. Mary's, a beautiful bedroom with twin beds, a small closet area with robes and slippers for us, and a luxurious spa bath with a huge tub and shower. Everything was plush and light. The ceilings are high, and the house feels spacious but not pretentious. The entry way leads you up the stairs to the sitting room with its grand piano, and adjacent is a common room full of movies, a computer, books to borrow, and a big screen telelvision. Out back is a small gym with wood walls and ceiling. The gym felt like a rustic but rich place in the country. Flowers were everywhere, and music was everywhere. My mom wondered if she truly had gone to heaven, and I think we did for those three days. We enjoyed the singing in the parlor and dinner on our second night. Frances is (was) a concert pianist and opera coach. We enjoyed her students, but she also encouraged a young guest to try his hands at the piano. We weren't just guests as much as part of this wonderful community for a few nights. We both had lamb, and it was the best lamb I've ever had (and I've worked for some excellent chefs who I thought had already served me the best lamb that I'd ever had.) Somehow we got a good deal on Expedia, because the general rate is beyond our reach....but we were so blessed to be able to spend the time at Mollies. It's a short uphill walk to Ponsonby and shops and restaurants. Taxis were easy to come by for short trips around the city, and we used the buses as well. Our stay was a series of surprises...we didn't know that we were in for such care and service and such MUSIC! Everything was taken care of behind the scenes, and we had fresh fruit and the nicest and tightest sheets I've ever slept on. If you are a music lover, or a food lover try Mollies. Go to indulge and take the time for the spa bath!! I almost forgot to add that the floors are heated, and the spa bath has a heater that will keep your bath warm. The decor is comfortable, and you know that you are in the arts while you are there. It will stay in my memory for many years. Perhaps we will get to return someday.
- Also Known As:
- Mollies Hotel Auckland Central
- Mollies Hotel
- Mollies Hotel Auckland
- Mollies Auckland, New Zealand
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mollies luxury boutique hotel is located just moments from Auckland’s CBD in the gracious heritage suburb of St Mary’s Bay. Private, spacious and welcoming, it offers elegant accommodation in a relaxed and intimate 5-star setting.Mollies’ ten suites are spacious and beautifully appointed with bespoke furnishings, king size beds, exquisite hand-printed linens and marble ensuites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Otel so you can book your Mollies reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.