“Its pretty good here” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hostel   |   25 St Georges Bay Rd | Parnell, Auckland, New Zealand   |
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
“Its pretty good here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Id like to give it 3.5 stars really, 3 is too little but 4 maybe too much...

First things first, internet in NZ is utter sh1t. Get used to it!!!! 99% of the time you have to pay for it, there is a massive 24 hour net cafe on Queen Street near the cinema and near a very nicely priced chinese cafe! This for me was probably the thing I didnt like so much about the hostel, Parnell is a lovely location but shuts down at 9pm and the nearest supermarket is a good hike or bus ride away. And its not the cheaper of supermarkets either. Its also quite a pricey neighbourhood too. Queen Street was a good 25-30 minute walk, steep up hill in one part. Will get you fit! Auckland is very safe at night, we walked back late at night often.

The hostel I believe is new for the owners, but from my experience they really went the extra mile for their guests. Raj drove us into town one night when it was raining and our taxi failed to show. They gave us free net and gave us the discount rate as we stayed about a week. I really cannot fault these guys, they were so friendly and helpful.

The hostel does need a bit of work, I guess if you dont complain to the owner they may not be aware of something. The showers for me were an issue, either freezing cold or scaulding hot. The place was kept very clean, cleaning done twice a day. The kitchen can be a bit crammed with 4 people in there, I never found it a big issue really. The fridge was full often but Raj seemed to be getting on top of that when I was there and it was not so bad after. The kitchen is supposed to be shut at 10pm but never was when I was there. I never found the common areas to be full either. One of the few gripes I had was there is only 1 power socket near the tables in the common room, I prefer using my laptop on a table, there is a big multi plug by the sofas in the other room so not an issue there. Lots of books to swap too.

Our room was ok, was not too shabby but nothing amazing, bed had an issue with a spring which we told Raj about and we just flipped the materess and it was fine. Our room was upstairs in the middle so we had 3 walls that people walked past so we could not sleep past 07.30am. Not an issue for us but if you are a light sleeper avoid this room. The room was clean though.

The atmosphere here was pretty good. I dont typically comment on this as we travel as a couple but we chatted to some nice people here and there was always groups of people getting together for drinks or games or something. Seemed there was quite a few solo travellers about.

For the price, I would recomend this hostel. Its not the best hostel I have stayed in, but NZ is not cheap and this is a very competitively priced hostel in a reasonable location, and for us we could not fault the service we were given. Parking is a nightmare though, yes there is drive space but it is very limited. You can park in the street but you may end up 100s of meters away.

Room Tip: We had the middle upstairs room, had 3 walls exposed to hallway, noisy in the morning as it is an ol...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

City Garden Lodge is a cool little hostel 15 minutes walking outside of the center of Auckland. Helpful staff, Raj is a cool guy who wants to make sure his guests have an enjoyable stay. He gave us a discount on our twin room, because we had been ringing hostels all day and haven't had luck until we reached Raj. Everything is clean, maybe the kitchen is a bit small but it makes for funny interaction whilst cooking.
There's not much more to say really. If you have a tent , ask Raj or his Mrs if you can set up your tent in the garden, it's probably the cheapest stay (apart from couchsurfing of course) you can get in Auckland!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Ended up here twice but would not seek it out. The benefits are free on-street parking and very limited parking in a small driveway on site, and a 500mb wifi voucher when you first arrive. The kitchen is extremely tiny and difficult to navigate if more than two people in there. There are a few tables outside of the kitchen and a fairly large lounge with couches. There are picnic tables outside. There are no lockers in the dorms and there are also a few caravans on site and space for 2 tents. The neighborhood Parnell is very quiet with nothing going on at night, even a Saturday night. It is about a half hour walk into the main city. There should also be more toilets and showers for the amount of people staying here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Brattleboro, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I went as a backpacker to this wonderful lodge. There are many, many reasons to stay here: if you are on a budget; if you want to meet other travelers of all ages; if you want to cook your own food; if you want to be close to downtown without being downtown... The owners, Raj and his wife Simi live on the property and are lovely and accommodating hosts. I love this place and will come back if I am in NZ again.

Room Tip: Dorms are for those who sleep easily with others coming and going. If not, ask for a shared room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

After travelling two months in NZ arriving here for the final stop was a bitter disappointment. The room was tiny and shabby, the kitchen was filthy and so small no more the 2-3 people could cook there at one time. The common area was fairly spacious but had only 2 sofas, so these were usually taken and the only place i could be was in my tiny run down room. Of course there was no DVD lounge and only a pathetic excuse for a common room. The sheets looked like they hadn't been washed for a millenia, and they close the kitchen at 22:00.
The only positive thing I can say about it is that there is free parking on the street.
In short, unless you are used to the standard of hostels in India, I would stay well away from this hostel.

• Stayed March 2013
Tauranga, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The new owner is has got it all wrongr.He treats his guests like with disdain, often fights with them for frivulous reasons. He makes people sleep on couches and charges them money for it. he over books all the time and moves his guests like pawns to accommodate newcomers. He is not only discourteous towards women, but an insensitive person, locks the kitchen and the main door at 10.30 pm every night conveniently forgetting about 8- 10 people living in the tent, often they have to pee in the grass ( i had to do it.)The tent originally meant for yoga is now booked with at least 7 people sleeping on mattresses on the floor daily. Honestly i lived a few weeks there and conditions went from bad to worse so i just vacated it. Should have done earlier. So, if you wanna experience Auswitchz,or a gulag do visit the city garden lodge st george bay road parnell, auckland!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We booked a private double room for four nights.

CIty Garden Lodge was exactly what my husband and I were looking for in terms of atmosphere and room requirements. It was quiet enough for me to do my studying and my husband found people to socialise and have a few beers with while I was working. We stayed in a double room which was very nice for the price. The showers were always hot and had a lot of pressure. We stayed 4 nights and it never got too loud, I could hear people talking below in the garden but it wasn't so loud it was like a background muffled noise and you could still hear birds and nature sounds too, which I quite liked. It was a nice little refuge from the city. Parnell, New Market, the City Centre and the Domain are all within walking distance if walking 15-30 minutes isn't a problem for you. We walked to New Market for some really good Asian food. The bed was very comfortable and the couple running the hostel went out of their way to be friendly and helpful to all of the guests. Although there were quite a few people there, there were many places for people to chill out so it was quieter and more chilled out. There are a few gardens and sun decks and indoor social rooms which is nice. There were travellers from all over and from many age groups. There were older people staying there who were very cool to talk to. We are a married couple in our late twenties and we felt like this place was an excellent value.

The only complain I can have is the internet situation. It's unfortunately a problem all over NZ but this is a hostel in Auckland City they should be able to workout unlimited internet for hostel guests. Because this hostel is a bit removed from the city centre internet may be more important for people needing to look up info or booking tours. For me it was a problem because I was working and needed internet. They do give you 200 Megabytes upon checkin...not really sure what that means but perhaps a few hours of browsing or emailing and like 20 minutes of video stream. We have been in NZ for awhile and were not surprised but we met many people just arriving to NZ who were shocked by the lack of internet availability unfortunately they will find its not just this hostel....

However, the couple running this place made it worth it, they let us check in early and were so friendly and helpful with everything, we would absolutely return in hopes that the internet situation will improve!

Room Tip: We had room #4 it was a double room with a nice window and comfortable bed, firm but giving. You ca...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to City Garden Lodge? Share your experiences!