“Simply great” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 65 Hotels in Auckland
Sydney
“Simply great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

While there is a variation in the experience of the different rooms at the hotel, this was my 5th stay and the best yet.
The rooms are all good, it is just the rooms that overlook the dining room aren't as great.
They are super clean and comfortable, the Bar is just sublime, the Dining room top notch and the living room a great added touch.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Belo Horizonte- Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Hotel has a great design, in all hotel and rooms.Modern, confortable, big room.Unbeatable location , close to everything, to restaurants,bars,shops, sky tower,port.Free internet,helpful staff
Negative
Limitted breakfast. to pastries,juice and fruits.If you want to eat better, you have to pay " a la carte breakfast".Not a problem, but they should make clear about breakfast..
Nevertheless, an excellent choice in Auckland and if you consider all hotel,it´´s worth,even with breakfast affair.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Auckland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Upon arriving at the hotel and being shown to our first floor room, the wow factor was everywhere - great service, ovely-looking decor, modern and aesthetically a delight. At this stage I thought this would be a 5 star review. Then the problems began...

Firstly, a nasty encounter with an inexplicably-placed ledge that caused my pregnant wife to stumble and nearly fall over onto the hard bathroom tiles. Why there is a hard 5cm ledge at the entrance to the bathroom is beyond me... it is downright dangerous as you can't see it clearly and even if you know it's there it's still a hazard (I also tripped on it later). Nothing alerts guests to the presence of this ledge... come on Hotel deBrett, please do something to address this before someone gets hurt.

Next problem - and a major one - was that a restful weekend getaway turned into a sleepless night. Why? Because the only pillows provided in the room were extra-soft. Not everyone likes soft pillows so medium pillows should be available in every room. But soft doesn't even do justice to these pillows - they were like cotton candy. It sounds nice, but after for some of us that is like torture as they provide no support and just fill around your head. So I had a terrible sleep and my wife not much better. Both of us had sore necks in the morning. Afterward, I saw that you can order specialty pillows from reception - but this is not something we would have known without reading the directory, and regardless, I would not have been making phone calls in the middle of the night which could wake my wife. Again, I can't understand the logic of providing pillows that a minority of people will enjoy. With no other pillows anywhere in the room (I checked the closet somewhere in the early hours) It really ruined our stay, and I will remember my visit for tossing and turning all night, becoming increasingly angry.

Other small things were of annoyance... the hot drink facilities for one. It is a value-add, for sure, to provide plunger coffee (and leaf tea), but if you don't have the time to make this, instant coffee is a necessary alternative. None provided though - so no coffee in the morning. Even if I had wanted one, there was no milk provided whatsover... I have never been to a hotel that did not have milk somewhere in the room - if it was there I could not find it so I presume it is not part of the service at HDB.

Shower - I have never seen a shower where the shower head pointed directly at the shower door... after a shower, there was always a large pool of water on the bathroom floor near the vanity, which is messy at best and dangerous (slippery) at worst. Water just goes straight through the cracks at the bottom and sides of the shower door - so again - I don't understant this design. Also, in our room the water actually crept from the shower directly into the adjacent toilet through the wall, hence there is a leak somewhere.

No soap bar is provided - just a small bottle of body wash that isn't really enough for people who like to shower twice a day.

The toilet is a bit of a joke really - the door closes inwards against your knees, forcing you to sit on a slight diagonal, and you actually have to open the door out in order to stand up and flush. Crazy design.

Closing the curtains using the hanging rod - fine if you are 6 foot 2, otherwise you can't reach it...

TV (Sky channels) set to 14:9 Wide Zoom which could not be adjusted... no good if you are watching a rugby game as you can't see the score...

Reading lamps hanging loosely from the bedhead...

I could go on... but I feel I have plenty of reasons to give HDB one of its rare poor reviews. Maybe we just lucked out on the room - we don't know if they are all the same (we hope not). But based on our experience, HDB was very lucky to get a second star out of five, unfortunately. For what it cost, this really didn't deliver the relaxing restful weekend we expected. Hope this feedback is viewed by management as constructive, as we intend it to be, and that the issues are addressed. HDB has a lot going for it and the service I must say was excellent. Breakfast was nice as well, good atmosphere and food is fine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our favourite hotel during our trip to NZ. The room was stylish and very comfortable and the service was great throughout. We also loved the dining and bar areas which had great atmosphere and food. Much nicer that the big chain hotels we had stayed in.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I had such a wonderful stay at Hotel De Brett. Centrally located in Auckland, the rooms were very retro and a good size.

The food in the restaurant was just heaven and I loved having a drink in one of the two bars. The staff were so nice & helpful and made it extra special for me.

If I could build my own hotel then this was the place for me.

Room Tip: only around 25 rooms I think, so can't go wrong,
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I only stayed here one night but what a fantastic stay I had!

Firstly, the hotel is in a very good location, set back from the main high street but an easy walk down to the Marina for a boat trip in the sunshine.

There isn’t much you can say in respect of the décor, you either like quirky or you don’t and personally I love it.

Everything is very top end, very plush and individual. My bedspread with the constellations had me in raptures, I want one for my own home. Although to be fair, I would have all of it for my own home, especially that black tiled bathroom.

There is a ‘happy hour’ in the early evening with a free drink and the owner was there to greet his guests and interact with them. It’s the small things I think that make a truly boutique hotel special, and bothering to get to know your guests and tell them how much you appreciate them staying is one of those touches you wouldn’t get in many places.

If I ever get to Auckland again, I’d love to stay here. If you are lucky enough to be going to Auckland, book this hotel, you may feel it’s pricey, but it’s worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This stunning gem is definitely worthy of its inclusion as one of the select international Design Hotel Group, with its stunning interior design features - such style - obviously hand-picked staff for their delightfulness, superb fine dining on-site and all of this right in the heart of Queen Street/High Street Auckland.
How sorry we felt for other conference delegates staying in their 'which city am I in today? hotels' as each evening we joined a few guests in the intimacy of the Drawing Room for convivial conversations over complimentary drinks, before the hard decision whether to dine in or out (delicious continental breakfasts are also included in the tariff) and returning to sleep in our gorgeous room.
Treat yourself!

Room Tip: Second floor or loft both excellent
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel DeBrett? Share your experiences!