“Beautiful designed hotel” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel DeBrett to your Saves list
Hotel DeBrett
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 High Street | CBD, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #2 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Beautiful designed hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

DeBrett has a beautiful interior design. The room was nice with a good bed. Small minus is we looked out onto the restaurant (and vice versa so no walking around the room naked). Bathroom was spacious, clean and equipped with shower and bath.

The complimentary drink every evening in the guest-only library was a nice addition and gave the hotel a home-like feeling. Free continental breakfast was basic but good quality food. Hot breakfast comes at additional cost. Free wi-fi is provided, a first in New Zealand in our experience.

Service was good, but can do with some improvement too. We asked reception some questions that they didnt have an immediate answer on. Promised to get back to us, but never did.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

If you like to stay in accommodation that is just a bit more different, more styley, more special and just generally not so 'standard' then this cool boutique hotel is for you! My husband and I chose to stay here for 2 nights at the end of December and we both loved it so much we didn't want to step out of it! At first I was put off by the price because I wanted to save my money and book something cheaper. But in the end I just bit the bullet and decided I loved the look of it and the reviews and felt it was very 'me'. Neither of us have regretted it and can't wait to stay there again! Everything was just perfect and the accommodation and dining became a holiday within a holiday - in fact the highlight of our 10day trip! The rooms are just so funky cool and so too is the hotel and facilities. So if you are thinking twice like I was - don't, just do it and you won't regret it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Fabulous. This is classy, cool, chic. we will definitely return. Loved the bed, and never had such a quiet sound-proof room. Great bathroom.
Anything to fix... hmm, a nice touch might be a couple of up-to-the minute mags in the room. And maybe a small fruit basket? And I missed a wee chocolate on the pillow with turn-down... being NZ and this 'retro' hotel - I suggest Whitakers mini's. For this high price I would love those little touches.

lovely.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

A privately owned boutique type hotel that has really been kept up-to-date well. Unlike many boutiquey hotels it is not very cold, hard and barren, if you will -- this one is comfy but modern! We met one of the owners who was very nice and hung out for a nice chat during the daily evening complimentary cocktail hour (or so) in the "drawing" room.

Huge kudos to Matthew (dining manager?)! He was very accommodating in taking care of our needs for gluten-free dining each day. All the staff for that matter were very helpful, attractive and friendly.

Room Tip: We had the suite just below the top option that was two floor with a very nice queen sofa bed downst...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Koloa, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We started our 3 week trip to New Zealand with a 3 night stay here. It was both a perfect place to recover from the long flights and as a base to explore the city as it was walkable to everywhere we wanted to go. The staff was exceptional. All were very friendly and knowledgeable, and unbelievably helpful and quickly responsive to our every request. The room was very nice with great lighting, a really comfortable king bed with fabulous bedding, and while not huge there was plenty of space to move around without being in each other's way. The bath had two vanities, a must in our opinion for a five star rating. The morning continental breakfast and evening cocktail were both welcome amenities. If we have a return trip to Auckland this is where we will go.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at Hotel DeBrett efter a very long flight from Denmark. The staf was very nice and helpfull and got me installed in my room.
My room was nice though I did not need 2 levels. I never got my suitcases up on the top level, so I had to go downstairs everytime I needed something from my luggage.
The room was very cold and only the last day, did someone finally set the aircon right, but at that point I had been freezing for 2 days.
The rooms are nicely decorated and very different and I like that.
The breakfast buffet was very small and not much to choose from.
All in all I like Hotel DeBrett and the decoration style.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ocracoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

First-class treatment at a first-class place. The staff was friendly and eager to help, which I look for and which is a huge plus for foreigners. The evening desk clerk recommended a trendy restaurant to us, which we enjoyed. Since we'd arrived early in the morning, the hotel let us check in early, which allowed us to shower and then spend the afternoon walking around beautiful Auckland. I loved the two-story loft we had, which allowed our "third" to sleep on a comfortable sofa bed without the extra room charge. The bedding was fabulous; the room had a nice large bathroom and a powder room that was great for our three-adult group. We enjoyed the complimentary wine with hotel owner, John, who graciously chatted with us for a few minutes. Free WiFi included was another huge plus and one of the reasons I chose this hotel. The decor in this hotel is wonderfully eclectic and hip. We loved the open-air-like restaurant and a had tasty gourmet dinner with good service. The hotel's location is in the heart of the CBD and close to shopping and the wharf. My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer in Auckland and New Zealand--such a wonderful country. I like comfort and cleanliness and I would go back to Hotel DeBrett in a heartbeat. Two thumbs up!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel DeBrett? Share your experiences!