“Tired” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Amora Hotel Auckland

You added Amora Hotel Auckland to your Saves list
Amora Hotel Auckland
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Greys Ave, Auckland 1010, New Zealand (Formerly Duxton Hotel Auckland)   |
Ranked #34 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
Ely, United Kingdom
“Tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in 2005 when it was called the Duxton, now renamed Amora.
It is little worn, tired and needs some TLC. The spakle of 2005 has gone.
Breakfast was reasonably priced with a good choice available. I asked for decaf coffee which when it arrived was excellent.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
AHA2011, Manager at Amora Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, and being such a valuable customer of ours since 2005. Glad you enjoyed our breakfast spread

We are looking into improving our facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
LA, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I really would like to give this hotel a 4 star because of it's location but due to the lack of service and amenities I'll stick with a 3 star rating. I chose this hotel due to it's location in the center of Auckland right next to Myers park. I contacted the hotel numerous times by email and even called twice to confirm my accommodations. I thought I explained myself very well in asking for a higher level floor room with a view, and an upgraded (Deluxe Room, Jetted Tub). When I initially checked in the front desk said they had no record of my requests. I showed them a copy of the one of the emails and told them I was not expecting this upgrade to be complementary. They said they were sorry but there was nothing they could do (even thought I had been communicating with them for over 6 months). Needless to say I was disappointed but they provided me with a view room on one of the middle floors. After checking into my room I looked out the window and realized that the outdoor pool and Jacuzzi were empty. I then contacted the front desk again to see about getting a room with a Jacuzzi. They finally showed me another room on the other side of the hotel (with no park view) that had what they call a jetted tub. Lets be clear, a couple holes in the bottom of a small tub does not make a Jacuzzi tub (No side jets what so ever). Anyway I settled for the original room with a park view that didn't have the jetted tub. Upon taking a shower the next morning we realized that the shower leaked like a sieve unto the floor. We had to use our towels on the bathroom floor to keep from slipping. We really didn't contact anyone except to get some ice until we checked out. At that time they insisted that I pay for the upgraded room even thought it didn't have a jetted tub. I once again explained my numerous conversations with their staff regarding my expectations. I also mentioned that that their website stated they had a functional outdoor pool and Jacuzzi. We had quite a go around and finally they agreed not to charge me for the upgraded room. Overall a fairly unpleasant experience.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay at this hotel, try and reserve a higher level floor room with a view of the pa...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

It's been a tough day and it's not getting easier... It's late on a mid week night and I'm trying to prep for a meeting tomorrow morning. I thought it would be a simple case of using the wifi (only in the lobby, not the room) to download my presentation. The problem being the internet is cutting in and out and I've been here 40min already!
Other weird things at this joint are;
- the hair dryer is hidden under the tv in a locked drawer.
- retro fitted noisy aircon
- no tooth paste, shower caps, cotton buds
- limited housekeeping. Only the beds seem to be made
- hotel staff that seem extremely indifferent to providing hospitality!
- a slightly dodgy neighbourhood on the cbd fringe

The good side is that each room has a cute balcony with a good view of the park below.

This hotel screams out for needing some TLC. Not just a lick of paint but also some staff training on what hotel hospitality is all about.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Stayed here for business over three nights in a studio apartment at a rate of NZD165/night.

The location is very convenient as it is less than a 10 min walk to the main precinct of Queen St and most taxi drivers seem to know the place well. Head in the opposite direction and you will come across the more seedier side of Auckland.

The hotel itself is what I would consider basic. In that it provided most facilities including a private balcony for the suite. The bed was very comfortable and provided a good night's sleep. However that was about where the positives ended.

There was only a portable AC unit in the room. The shower head leaked which meant the water pressure was like oriental torture, there was no separate fan in the bathroom, which meant that the only way to ventilate the bathroom was to turn on the combination heater and fan - great on a very warm day; the noise level in the corridors was loud, both from the guests and the housekeeping staff, even though I had a corner suite; the iron leaked all over the floor, which presented an interesting situation with the combination of steam and electricity; the ironing board cover was rusted through and WiFI wasn't available in the rooms.

Will probably opt to stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Glad you had a comfortable stay with us. Sorry about the shower, perhaps if you had informed the reception team they would have sent the maintenance to have a look at it.

I shall definitely look into the house keeping staff making noise while they servicing the floors, we have never had this complaint in the past however I shall be addressing this with them. As for the WIFI we are looking into getting that facility available shortly.

We do hope you would consider staying with us in the near future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We booked a room for 2 adults and 1 child and got a queen size bed plus a rollaway. The room had a kitchenette (cooking plates, microwave, sink, laundry machine) and there was a bathtub in the bathroom.

The airconditioner is not mounted like a regular heat pump, with the noisiest part outside. It's an indoor unit with an exhaust pipe out the window, tightly sealed through the glass. Very noisy and ineffective.

Upon placing the cot for our baby next to our bed, we noticed that the carpet was wet. This was due to a leak from the bathroom, where we had taken a shower. We immediately notified the reception, the janitor came up for a look, and claimed that there was not a leak. He said we should just place towels on the bathroom floor. The reception called our room and echoed this message 5 minutes later.

This hotel will have serious problems with humidity, mildew and mold, and probably leaks to other rooms as well pretty soon. Why they don't care I don't know.

There's a playground in the park behind the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Good location 5 minutes from main shopping street and 10 minutes from the dock area. Comfortable and clean; helpful staff; reasonable price. Not much in terms of amenities besides an outdoor unheated pool. Great deli right next door.

Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I agree with several other reviews---hotel is reasonably priced, well-located, with friendly staff who strive to help you out, but they are understaffed. The portable air-conditioning unit in our room was very noisy and spit water out onto the upholstered chair next to it. Room was on the sunny side in February so we definitely needed the air-conditioning. Glad we only stayed two nights. Was very disappointed by the charge for the internet. Even the free 30 minutes allotted to guests in the lobby was poor, connection kept dropping out. The couple of laptops available in the lobby were not functional either. Most hotels do much better than this. Had one dinner and one breakfast in the hotel restaurant---nothing special, slow service. I can't recommend this hotel.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Sorry to know that the air conditioning gave you a bit of trouble, if you had called the reception they would have sent the maintenance person to have a look into it and fix it for you. Perhaps when you must be around one of our staff members must have gone on a break, as we always have 2-3 members in one shift.

The internet charge is $15 per day, however we are looking into getting WIFI in the hotel. I shall address the Food & Beverage staff about the slow service, however please note that this was a one off occasion, our staff are very efficient and on top of things.

Once again thank you for the time taken and we shall be looking into improving our facilities. hope to have you stay with us shortly.

Been to Amora Hotel Auckland? Share your experiences!