“Good stay. First time in Auckland” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Amora Hotel Auckland

You added Amora Hotel Auckland to your Saves list
Amora Hotel Auckland
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Greys Ave, Auckland 1010, New Zealand (Formerly Duxton Hotel Auckland)   |
Ranked #31 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
“Good stay. First time in Auckland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Had my first stay in Auckland. Didn't want to stay in a big or flash hotel neither a backpackers. Good apartment style accommodation. Good price. Convenient location. Not in the middle of the noisy Queen Street. Staff were friendly very accommodating.

• Stayed July 2013
AHA2011, Public Relations Manager at Amora Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback about the hotel. We are pleased to hear you found our staff to be friendly and accomodating- it’s always our aim to ensure our guests feel welcome and valued during their stay. We hope you had enjoyed your visit to Aucklnad and hope to see you again soon at the Amora Hotel !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

My flight was on early July 30 morning, but I saw check out time must be after 2:00PM. So I booked 3 days, from July 29 to Aug. 1st.
When I checked in on July 30, 7:00AM, the reception person told me my booking time was on July 29. So it is not right. I told him since I can not check in before 2:00PM, so I booked one day earlier. He then went into office room for several minutes, and then came back tell me I could check in. I asked whether I should book for July 30 and 31, he said yes. I asked him, how many days I should pay for, he said 2!
He told me the check out time is 10:00AM. (I could not find such information in my booking confirmation documents)
While checking out, he gave me a bill for July 29, 30, and 31. And refused to do any check with Expedia. He was quite rude I would say.
It is strange, I could not do it right: I booked for July 29 to July 31, he told me I was wrong I should book for July 30 and 31. but in the end he charged me for 3 days.
In addition, the booking confirmation letter is lack of check out time - which is important information. He said, we gave all information to Expedia, so it is my problem with expedia and nothing to do with them?! - I was so surprised that a service industry professional could say this ?
Would suggest tourists never use this hotel! They are mean, always try to take advantages from customers, do not walk their promise.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
AHA2011, Public Relations Manager at Amora Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Mr Fang,

Thank you taking the time to write your experience with us.

Im sorry for the terrible miscommunication about your reservation but however this misunderstanding is also brought upon from how you made your reservation.

The standard check-in time in New Zealand is 2pm and check-out time is 10am. This is clearly stated on our hotel website. Your booking from Expedia was made from 29th July to 31st July, this is a total of 3 nights chargeable. There was no notes or special requests from your booking stating that you are an early arrival on the 30th July. Hence, on the 29th, we closed your booking as a 'no-show'. When you turned up on the 30th July, your booking in the system showed as 'no-show', thats why the staff need to confirm this with Expedia before proceeding with your check-in.

Since you did make a 3 night booking, hence you were charged for 3 nights. All pre-booked rooms are charged on nighly basis. Its a standard procedure in any hotel, however, if you had contacted the hotel direct, we would have been happy to waive the pre-booking charge and allowed you to check-in early as we were on low occupancy.

If you want to make a booking in future in any hotel, please conatct the hotel direct. You have a better chance at getting a deal and amending the booking is hassle free.

Im sorry that you found the staff to be rude as this is not the usual comment I receive. The staffs here are generally helpful and accomodating.
Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We took advantage of a GrabOne deal and headed to Auckland. We had a room with spa bath. It was a lovely room, very clean and tidy. On arrival we had a cheese board and crackers and a bottle of bubbles. It was very central and great location for walking around the city. The parking was a bit of a squeeze in the basement but otherwise it was all good. The staff were very friendly and helpful.. Breakfast was amazing in the morning, we loved that. Having an extended check out time was great too.

Dear Donna,

It’s exciting to receive such valuable comments from our guests as we take pride and strive towards delivering an outstanding guest experience to make us the most preferred destination in the Auckland City.

We are happy to note that your stay was comfortable and our facilities & services were to your liking and expectation.

It is a matter of pride to know that our team lived up to your expectations with their friendly and helpful service. Your word of appreciation for our associates encourages them to continue to strive for further excellence.

Thank you for for choosing the Amora Hotel, we await your return and hope to be your preferred destination in Auckland CBD.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed in a king size spar room special offer....
Well we were suppose to have a cheese platter on arrival i asked it to be left in room as i was going out.....didn't happen... then had to phone for it and it took nearly half an hour.... ,which included two small slices of cheese , 3 crackers, 2 prues, i tiny square of pickle and a few pumpkin seeds.....disappointed....
Then the spar didn't work, one of the lift's didn't work and the other one we got stuck twice...... complained to staff and he said he would past it on to manager.....what a joke ....but must say the bed was soft and the breakfast buffet was good and hot......

Room Tip: was sad about this stay as had stayed before and it was great and ticked all the boxes....
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and we apologise for the issues you experienced. It’s always our aim to provide the best possible service, so your feedback has been passed on to the relevant department to help improve the quality and service levels. Just for future reference you can also ask to speak to our Duty Manager at any point if you are unhappy with your room, or any aspect of the service you have received. It is our intention that all our guests have a pleasant stay, and if there are any issues, we welcome the opportunity to resolve them. We understand that maintenance has now been completed on the spa.We do hope that you will consider visiting us again one day.
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I write this almost reluctantly - Amora Hotel is a venue I'd like to keep all to myself. As a Hotel it is good, nothing spectacular in terms of rooms. They are very clean and tidy and well maintained and ok value for money. But where Amora excels is in it's staff - they are amazing to deal with. Whether it be the Front Office, reservations, conferencing, or restaurant they are all cheerful and go the extra mile.
I conducted a course at the Hotel over 4 days and we were almost waited on hand and foot, it really was exceptional. I would highly recommend this as a conference venue, the facilities are very good with no surprises.

Room Tip: Breakfast here is not cheap but they did have $12 lunch specials where the fish choice was excellent...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
AHA2011, Public Relations Manager at Amora Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Robert,

Thank you very much for the great feedback, this is very pleasing to read.

I'm delighted that you commented on the our staffs amazing service. I will share this with the team and it will definetly make their day.

We appreciate you taking the time to give feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future
Tauranga, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We booked a room with a spa bath. The room was clean and had nice views overlooking the park. Although we had the spa bath and kitchen I did feel it was overpriced as wifi and parking were extras. The spa bath jets didn't work very well so that was a little disappointing. We stayed at another hotel the following night for cheaper, it didn't have a kitchen but we had free wifi, parking and breakfast included. I stayed at Amora purely for the spa bath, some of their other room options may be better but the spa bath was not worth it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AHA2011, Public Relations Manager at Amora Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments about your most recent stay at the Amora Hotel Auckland.

However, the hotel does offer complimentary wifi, computers, internet, and printing in the business centre located in the hotel’s lobby. I hope that you were made aware of this guest amenity during check-in.

We also have numerous deals on our home website for the spa room, which includes parking and internet on complimentary. Perhaps you have chosen a price that did not include any extras.

Thank you again for your comments, because we are always looking for ways to better serve our guests.

If you decide to try us again, please contact our friendly reservation team directly and they will help you 'grab a deal" !
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

After our stay at the Amora Hotel in Auckland to say we were bitterly disappointed would be an understatement. We opted for the “Penthouse Suite” for a night away from our young son for the first time and the room was appalling. The first room we were in had dirty dishes left in the dishwasher and it was evident that it had been there for a few days. There was also hair on the bathroom floor and not only is this disgusting but very unhygienic and I would definitely expect more from a four star hotel. After complaining to management, we were moved to the room next door however that room had not been cleaned properly either so we were forced to put up with housekeeping in our room for over 1 hour to get that rectified and even that amount of time wasn’t enough as there was still chewing gum stuck to the roof. After paying almost $350 for a night, I would expect a much higher standard and unfortunately the terrible stay at you hotel ruined our entire weekend and a rare opportunity for time to ourselves.

Dear Laura,

Thank you for taking your time to review your stay at the Amora Hotel Auckland.

Please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of the entire team at the hotel as we failed to service your room before arrival. We have been having problems with our housekeeping system and the status of these room were not updated.

This is not the standard we take pride in and please be assured that our management team has received your comments and they will be shared with our team as a coaching tool.

If you will kindly indulge us, we would like to welcome you back to our hotel and offer you a complimentary Executive Suite room with a personal spa bath. The room has a lounge area leading into your personal balcony facing the Myers park and a private spa bath. This room will be a perfect get away for you and your partner from your young son since you could not enjoy our facilities to the fullest on your last stay.

I ask that you contact the Reservation Manager directly at resmgr@auckland.amorahotels.com to make your booking and I am certain our team will exceed your expectations this time.

Thank you for your feedback, we hope to welcome you soon.

Been to Amora Hotel Auckland? Share your experiences!