“Totally smoked out in a 'non-smoking' hotel.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Amora Hotel Auckland

You added Amora Hotel Auckland to your Saves list
Amora Hotel Auckland
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Greys Ave, Auckland 1010, New Zealand (Formerly Duxton Hotel Auckland)   |
Ranked #33 of 77 Hotels in Auckland
“Totally smoked out in a 'non-smoking' hotel.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I'm very unhappy with this hotel! It is supposed to be non-smoking but the entire 1st floor is smoky. Deep and thick with smoke. You can't get it to stay in the hallway so now the rooms reek! Three days in a row we complained to EVERYONE and three days in a row, nothing! Shame on this hotel. I don't know if they just can't figure out who is smoking, if the cant figure out how to detox the place, or if they just don't care. I'm never staying here ever again and I suggest you look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013
AHA2011, Public Relations Manager at Amora Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your review on Amora Hotel Auckland, I do apologise for your negative impression of the hotel, as all our rooms and indoor areas are completely non smoking and all smoking guests must go outside the hotel. However, there are the occasional inconsiderate smokers who smoke in the building.

It is very unfortunate that the room you were assigned was not up to our usual standards but I thank you for bringing this to our attention so we could rectify the situation. We have already arranged for these floor to be detoxed of smoke smell.

This is obviously not the standards that we encourage. We hold service in high regard and I have addressed this with our team.

I hope that you will give us another chance in the future to welcome you back to the hotel and showcase our true Amora hospitality.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

stayed in 317 ... would've given a five rating but it was the curry smell on level three which was there all the time. it smelt very yummy. but was overwhelming. .. very good location, nice view from balcony

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AHA2011, Public Relations Manager at Amora Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Amora Hotel Auckland, we really appreciate our guests valuable feedback, positive and negative the same.

I apologise for the curry smell on your floor. We do have some tenanted rooms in this hotel who are not necessarily Indians but love cooking curry the same.We try our best to keep the smell of curry from affecting the corridors but sometimes, we are overwhelmed too. However, I'm glad you did not find it offensive.

We thank you again for your valuable feedback and look forward in welcoming you soon.

Kind Regards
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Although we seem to give it three stars each visit, we like this hotel and decided to check in for Christmas Day/Night as a treat to ourselves as we were on our own this year. Who can't resist a romantic double spa bath (no other Auckland hotel has this)? Unfortunately, same old issues but okay in the end - I really think the management need to know about issues. I will cover good and bad:

Check in was okay, I was all happy and Christmassy but response from Receptionist was luke warm at best and my enthusiasm was well dampened - the only conversation from her was to say $20 for carparking (yes, we know already). We checked in at an early 12.30 (usually 2pm). Unfortunately, maybe due to the time (which we prearranged), the room was not serviced properly. The shower door, bath and curtain were wet and dirty. There was no soap in the room and one towel. The mini bar, used by previous people, was missing items and we had to suffer through the next hour with three visits to recheck including a room manager who was rude to us about the air conditioner problem. I was very disappointed that on Christmas Day, there was not a single Christmas anything in the room. We were told the hotel was at 40% occupancy and they still chose to give us a very tired 2nd floor room overlooking a building instead of the higher floors with a nicer view which we have always had in the past. The bed was disgraceful - mattress in our room is completely shot. My husband sat on the corner to rest against the headboad and the mattress bent so badly he ended up on the side table.

Room was showing 29 degree heat on the air conditioner when we turned it on. Air conditioner was actually increasing the temp (even though set to cold 18) and stopped working. Repeatedly asked the woman at reception to have someone take a look at it, promised within 15 mins. Took 2.5 hours. In this time, the temp went to 31 and we had the windows open etc. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. There was no way we were going to be able to use the spa bath and were facing the prospect of regretting not just booking a normal room. Finally, after the fourth visit to reception when the shift change happened the lovely man from Ellerslie sent someone up within 15 mins and air conditioner started working again. Sadly, an hour later and temp was still 29 degrees.

Nearly 4 hours into our stay, finally offered chance to move rooms (thanks to the new shift coming on) and we were moved to the fourth floor. Thank god. Because the bed was a lot firmer, the room was CLEAN and the air conditioner managed to get the room down to 24 (didn't go further than that but it made a big difference). We did book a special rate on the internet and I wondered if we were given the loser yuck room because of that because this was night and day different. We were actually able to enjoy the spa bath and we ordered room service which was really nice (rib eye steak with hand cut fries) but perhaps a bit pricey as it was $67 for two very small meals and they dropped the mushroom accompaniment we had last time for a weak salad and the fries were not crispy and very oily. Again though, no Christmas touches. We saw tables in the restaurant had Christmas crackers, decorations etc - we paid the same price and an additional tray charge so why could we not have this as well? There were no door cards for breakfast so we didn't bother asking another question of reception so had no breakfast.

At the end of the day, when we got to enjoy the spa bath it did make the whole hassle worth while and that is why we have had to drop our normal rating to two stars. BUT, if they had have just been a bit nicer and more responsive to an issue which made the room very uncomfortable, we may have increased their rating. Plus, a bit of effort for those guests that choose to spend an important day of the year in their hotel would have been appreciated. The rooms are still tired and but that is okay, the bath makes up for it.

I only hope the lovely man who said he was from Ellerslie on the front desk is there if we come back because he turned around our experience and should be congratulated. He managed to calm down my husband which was no mean feat. We are regular visitors here and one day we hope to be greeted with a smile and have a decent room from the get go. It is a good location, good price and the spa room is worth it. But they do have a bit of work to do to make it a pleasurable experience.

Room Tip: Above floor 4, ask for park facing room. Make sure the air conditioning unit (freestanding) works o...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AHA2011, Public Relations Manager at Amora Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for choosing The Amora Hotel to celebrate Christmas,thank you also for taking the time to write such a comprehensive summation of your stay.

We are very disappointed to read of the issue you found in the room with regard to the cleanliness. We often get complimented on the standard of the rooms and it is obvious on this occasion we have failed to deliver and for this I would like to extend to you my sincerest apologies.

I am at a loss as to know how our Housekeeping Team Member had release this room fit for check in when clearly it was not. I will take your comments and read them, both when I attend the weekly Front Office team briefing and when I meet with our Executive Housekeeper.
I would respectfully request that you make contact with me here at the hotel on your next stay. I would very much like to know your full name so I can investigate further with regard to this issue, and also ensure that we make this service shortfall up to you on your next visit.

I'm surpised that you did not get any of the complimentary Christmas chocolates that we had specially arranged for all guests staying with us on Christmas Day.

Once again and on behalf of the team we extend to you our sincerest apologies.

Regards
Shanmu Sundram-Gray
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Work colleagues and I got two grab one deals @ $155.00 for two people. Included a spa room, 2 course dinner, 2 glasses of wine, parking and a late check out of mid day. Checking in was effortless and efficient. Secured parking with easy access to lifts was excellent. The room was beautiful, well equipped with a great view of the park. The pool looked inviting. We asked for our meals to be delivered rather than eaten in the restaurant and that was no problem. Issues included the door key not working, but that was fixed quickly with batteries being replaced. I lost my key at one point and received a replacement without dilemma. The next morning someone opened the door without knocking, apologised and asked what time I was checking out. This happened two more times. I requested an even later check out which I paid for without drama. Overall a pleasant surprise. The staff were very nice. Good location. Good value. I'd go back.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a park view. I suspect the higher the floor, the better the view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of Amora Hotel Auckland, we were delighted to read that in general you enjoyed your stay.Your feedback is important to us and will assist us in improving our guest experience.
We were pleased that you found our team friendly; they will be delighted to read your comment. I would like to apologise to you for the inconvenience with the room keys, cell phones and other static devices can at times remove the encoding and sometimes this baterry operated lock runs out without any warning.

I'm sorry to hear that you were disturbed by our minibar staffs. I will definetly bring this matter to their attention.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We checked in for the weekend after getting a Grab One deal. The first signs of the averageness was up on the floor of our room reeked of curry! Constantly! The whole weekend! Luckily though, our room smelled good.

The room was nice. The spa bath looked inviting but unfortunately had two loooong hairs in it! Yeek! I still used it a few times and it was good though. The couch in the room was also covered in hair which was pretty gross. The bathroom didn't seem to have an extractor fan either. But other than that, the room was adequate.

As part of our deal we were entitled to a two course meal each and two glasses of wine. This was about $80 value. Unfortunately we had to go somewhere and asked if perhaps we could swap for two continental breakfasts. We were told no. What about if we got it and had room service later? No!

On the middle day we were sitting in our room when we got a quick knock and then someone just opened our door and asked if we were leaving soon. Ummmm, no we'd booked two nights. Lucky we were just watching tv....

As for the other stuff, location was great. It is noisy, but that's Auckland! The best part of the hotel was Daniel, the guy in the restaurant. He was so helpful!

So all in all, average. I probably wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of Amora Hotel Auckland following your recent stay.

We are very disappointed to read of the issue you found in the room with regard to the cleanliness. Finding hair in your room is unacceptable by our standards.We often get complimented on the standard of the rooms and it is obvious on this occasion we have failed to deliver and for this I would like to extend to you my sincerest apologies. It is a shame that you did not bring this to our attention during our stay as we would have certainly moved you to another room and followed up with the Executive Housekeeper.

I do apologise that we were not able to swap your dinner vouchers for breakfast. This deal is designed to work for the hotel as well as grabone.As such, the system is pogrammed to accept 2 complimentary dinner. if we keyed in breakfast, it will be charged as the value is not the same, and we will have to do void or adjustments, which will affect our revenue report. However, there should not have been any problems in using the dinner voucher for dinner room service.

The team will be working hard on the points you have listed and we would like to thank you once again for your comments. In summary we are genuinely sorry you did not enjoy your experience and thank you once again for your feedback.
TAURANGA NZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Good value at $150.00 a night per room. $20.00 per day secure under cover carparking. Full cooked breakfast $20.00 and dinner reasonable prices a bit expensive for what is on offer and basic menu, drinks expensive, limited selection of wines,beers $9.00 each no low carb beers. Pool and hot tub both out side and close to the restaurant and bar so there is no privacy. Rooms are of a good size including mini bar, microwave, washing machine / dryer combined. Central city but away from restaurants and bars, 10 minute walk to them. $15 - $20 dollar max taxi fare and you are on the city water front. Food is very much average hotel quality, service was good and friendly. Not a hotel for kids more suitable for singles or couples. A quieter hotel to stay at compared to most inner city hotels. Personally i dont think the extra cost for the spa bath rooms are worth the difference. Very small spa baths.

Room Tip: Reasonably quiet given location, if you want a quiet area requst a room facing the park and not road...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
AHA2011, Public Relations Manager at Amora Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay at the Amora Hotel Auckland. We appreciate your honest and constructive feedback and are delighted to hear that your stay met your needs and expectations and that you found our product to be very good value for money. I'm glad that you enjoyed our hospitable service too.We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Last minute booking, via Wotif, a very pleasant surprise! Well located, clean, well appointed room, with free parking and full breakfast as the 'deal of the day'.

Rooms included washing machine, dishwasher, toaster and tea and coffee making. You could really make this our base for your Auckland holiday.

A shame we were here for just one night.

Room Tip: Overlooking the park, includes balcony with full opening doors, great for fresh air
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for providing a review of your stay. It was good to read of your positive experience with the the location of the hotel and the cleanliness standard of your room, and I hope to welcome you back to the Amora Hotel in the near future.

Been to Amora Hotel Auckland? Share your experiences!