“Did not live up to the hype” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Great Ponsonby Arthotel

You added Great Ponsonby Arthotel to your Saves list
Great Ponsonby Arthotel
4.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   30 Ponsonby Terrace | Ponsonby, Auckland 1011, New Zealand   |
Special Offer
BOOK DIRECT for BEST RATE
Ranked #9 of 60 Auckland B&B and Inns
Cameron Park, California
“Did not live up to the hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

On the plus side we were greeted and helped by the very friendly and helpful Holly. She was a delight to deal with. On the negative side, the room was small and we had trouble fitting in with two large bags. Breakfast menu was impressive but the new cook was having trouble delivering - my husband's breakfast was overcooked the first morning and my crepe was burnt the second morning. I know the new staff was causing some stress for the owner and it was definitely showing in her interactions. While Ponsonby is interesting - the street the B&B is on is a bit mixed. We were awoken the 2nd night with a woman screaming for her life and ended up calling the police as did our host. Certainly not the fault of the B&B but impacted us just the same.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sally J, Owner at Great Ponsonby Arthotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
I am sorry your breakfasts were not up to scratch. We would have been happy to have replaced them had you asked just as we tried to make it a better for you after the noise at night by giving you an award winning bottle of wine from our cellar. I am sorry you did not mention that. I am also glad that fortunately most of our guests were deeper sleepers than you and I were as they heard nothing.I hope the rest of your holiday went well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Staying at the Great Ponsonby Arthotel was a really lovely experience. Sally and Gerry are wonderful. I felt comfortable and at ease as soon I walked into the establishment. The rooms are clean, the bed I slept in was great, the staff are friendly, service is excellent and the vibe is calm and happy. The location is perfect - especially if you fancy shopping, nice dining, and a class of Bikram Yoga ;)
I felt so good staying here - I wish I could have stayed longer.
I'll definitely stay here again when I next return to Auckland.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We, recently, had the chance to stay in Auckland for a couple of nights before travelling to Queenstown for a wedding. As usual, we stayed at the Great Ponsonby. I was pleasantly surprised when Sally told me that my first stay with she and Gerry was nearly 20 years ago, just after they'd opened for business. I didn't realize it was that far back. Since then, I don't think I've stayed anywhere else in Auckland and I don't expect to change. Why would you? It's just a great place. To give an example of the excellent level of service they provide, Sally travelled all the way to Auckland airport to give us my wife's cell phone she'd left behind in our room. The only downside of this trip was that we could stay for only two nights. We'll make it longer next time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My colleague and I shared the penthouse on our recent stay to Auckland on business. The room was really comfortable and we enjoyed a gin or two on the balcony each night too.
As far a B&B's go this place is great, the decor is lovely, so full of character and the room was very clean. The hosts Sally and Gerry are terrific, always up for a chat and full of great suggestions for your stay. We needed to access a lot of food for a job and Gerry sorted us out!

The breakfasts were delicious every day.Shops are just up the road, plenty of places top eat and drink too.

I would much prefer to stay in a place like this than some boring hotel. Would like to bring my husband back next time. Loved it!

Thanks to Sally who managed to squeeze us in last minute!

Room Tip: penthouse is great has a very comfortable lounge area off the bedroom.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
New Castle, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The Great Ponsonby is located in a great location of Auckland, in the middle of great restaurants, shops and coffee and bar area. Easy walk to all of that and down by the waterfront. You can catch the bus within a block and go anywhere else you would want. James was great with suggestions and recommendations.
Our room was very comfortable and had everything we needed, plus a little kitchen. Breakfast was great with nice selection of fruits and cereals plus a nice variety of hot items which you could order.
Definitely would recommend staying here if you are in the Auckland area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Otaki, Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The Great Ponsonby is in a league on its own. It is elegant without being ostentatious, friendly helpful staff, beautiful decor, first rate breakfast, eco-friendly, excellent location & comfortable accomodation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Booked this online from England and used this as our base for New Year and gotta say it was a great choice from the moment we checked-in on a Sunday afternoon until we left 2 days later. Holly welcomed us with tea a friendly smile and a lot of very useful tips and suggestions about the city.
We stayed in the "Green Room" and it was really great, quirky perhaps but full of character and all the facilities you need: sitting area (inside and out), TV - DVD, kitchen, fridge etc.
Breakfast with Sally and Gerry was worth the stay on its own and complimented by the staff. Although not exactly downtown Ponsonby Rd has enough bars and restaurants to cover most tastes yet close enough to get into town for sightseeing.
We stayed in about 10 places in our 3 week stay and this was in top 3.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Great Ponsonby Arthotel? Share your experiences!