“Bad management. Okay for short stay.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of YHA Auckland International

You added YHA Auckland International to your Saves list
YHA Auckland International
4.5 of 5 Hostel   |   5 Turner St | P.O. Box 68-149, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
“Bad management. Okay for short stay.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

The 8 bed dorm room I stayed in had problems with people not getting the bed they have booked because someone extended their stay and the hostel didn't record it down or something. And one day everyone in the room were woken up at 2am because someone came back and found that her bed was taken. Seriously this is the hostel management fault. Staffs' service fluctuate according to their mood. And I don't think the way the hostel staff handle with thing is very flexible. Access card stop workig every now and then that You have to keep going back to activate it. Cleanliness of the toilets was below average quality of the hostels in NZ. Paper towels were everywhere, flush not working properly. Room cleanliness was good. . Even though the location is excellent, I don't think I will come back here again.

• Stayed September 2013
YHA N, Manager at YHA Auckland International, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us. The problem occurred when the person who extended their stay, and needed to move rooms did not do so. We have reviewed our procedures to better identify customer moves each day to ensure these are completed before new guests arrive in the rooms.

We have also upgraded our key card coding system and we are in the process of upgrading our washroom areas and working with the housekeeping team on the cleanliness of the bathrooms.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Steve Collier
YHA New Zealand Area Manager - Auckland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Rotorua, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The beds were quite old and squeked anytime anyone moved. Showers and toilets were clean. The communical area dn kitchen was great and a great way to meet other backpackers or travellers. It was a little walk from the city centre.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

The room, service and bathrooms were ok. Location is good; close to everything so you can walk around the city and the airport bus station is also near. The common room is big, although a bit quite for me and without any games as pool or foosball. Main issue is that the internet and lockers aren't free and quite expensive in my opinion.

Room Tip: choose for a short stay
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

It's is for the international hostel just off queen st and about a 20 min walk from the ferry point. The beds were like bunks but a little different, more like single beds with one on top, hard to describe. There were small wooden lockers in the rooms, enough for locking away valuables. There weren't many showers on the 1 st floor but it was ok for me, only 2 in the bathroom and a further 2 in the corridor for anyone to use. The kitchen area was a fair size, could maybe do with another fridge...?
There was a tv room in the basement and another lounge.
The hostel is a bit dated but couldn't really find much wrong with it. The airport bus stop is nearby, about 5 min walk.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Reinbek
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

During my travels thru Newzealand I have seen quite a lot of YHA Hostels. Normally YHA stands for quality but this one is completely different. I can not believe that this is in the YHA group!
I could write forever but will just list the worst things:

- Reception is run by different travellers every day. Lots of them cant even tell you were the next restaurant or bus is. Especially informations about teh hostel are just wrong.. for example we rent a DVD. And since there is just one very dirty TV room we had to wait until it was our turn. And then we had to discover that there is no DVD player. "Oh right, it got stolen last year." Its embarrissing what the stuff says.

- my 3 food bags were stolen from the fridge in the very first night.
- every second room card didnt work.
- Rooms are not vacuumed and you just dont want to touch the floor.
- There are 2 toliets and 2 showers on the entire floor which contains 80 beds. You have to walk all the way to the stairs to 3 adittional toilets and 2 showers. Showers are tiny! Have no window. so it gets very hot in there.
- There is no room for privancy. The only lounge which is in the basement is dark and dirty and from 6PM on teenagers sit there to get drunk.
- No signs to this "lounge" or tv room.. you just wander around in the basement.
- Its so loud! This YHA is 2km to city center, so good location but just too loud. I have never had that many traffic and party noises in my whole trip.
- Reception stuff is rude. All in the sudden they wanted me to change rooms although I booked 5 nights in 1 room. They wanted me to check out at 10, get all my luggage in the luggage room and I could be in my new room which wasnext to the old one at 2pm. I was freaking out since I just sold my car and has 10 bags with me. They said its not there problem so I decided to go to the YHA city, another YHA which is nearby. The girls answered me that she could check availability so I had to walk there.. 8am in the morning.

THE OTHER YHA (yha auckland city) IS MUCH NICER! They have a lounge, roof top and much thicker matresses. GO THERE !!!!!!

Over there they appologized for the YHA I was staying in but since there was a cancellation fee I couldnt really change for my last 2 nights.

Back to my YHA I asked for the manager and told her that I wasnt confident at all but she just didnt care. She walked away and the trainee stumbled more crab.

I really like the YHAs but I would never go there again.
Unfortzunately noone could tell me whats the difference between the 2 YHA in Auckland but now I can. DONT GO THERE. FOR YOUR OWN SAKE.

Room Tip: just dont go there :)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This was our first nights stay in New Zealand and we were a bit disappointed.
We called at 3am from Auckland airport and the night watchman said there was 1 twin room available so we went straight there and this we were appreciative of, being so last minute.

The room was average, we had it slightly discounted as we didn't arrive until 3.30am but I wouldn't have paid the full price for the room after seeing it. It was very basic, one lamp, one powerpoint and it didn't look amazingly clean to be honest. The bathrooms were average, quite small.

I've stayed in lots of hostels throughout Australia and New Zealand and I've stayed in lots of YHA's, but this just didn't seem to stand up to what I've experienced in previous YHA's.
Being in Aucklands city centre, I would've expected at least a 24-hour reception or vending machine/attached shop so late arrivals can buy food/drink.
We only stayed one night but we did go into the kkitchen to get water and it looked pretty gross and unclean, also extremely dated.

Overall I wasn't really impressed and when I called a few days later because of a discrepancy with my card (they were trying to charge me twice), the member of staff I spoke to who sounded like a young English guy, was extremely rude to me. He insisted there was no such record of me staying there and how could I prove they'd charged me twice? He didn't offer any apology or understanding and wasn't very helpful, he said an accounts department would call me - they never did. His customer service was rubbish.
The female receptionists we dealt with whilst we were there seemed friendly and polite and one did call us a taxi to go to our next backpackers. But they all seemed pretty young and having a laugh more than being professional.
I used to ALWAYS stay at YHA's but now I'm going to favour the independant hostels more, they are always much more flexible and helpful.
I wouldn't recommend this hostel unless you're desperate for a room and I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lausanne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We paid 85$ a night for 2beds and nothing else, no bathroom, no waredrop, no towels.... And in addition you have to pay for internet....c
Even though the facilities are good, your stay will be ruined by the incompetence and misorganisation of the staff.
To be fair, I have to exclude the Housekeeping, which are doing a great job. But dont expect anything from the reception, especially not an effort to make your stay more comfortable.
We arrived with a confirmed booking, however, no-one was aware and we were not able to get the reserved room.
As a result we had to change room every day (staying for 3 days) which means not only to change the room, but to check out at 10am (at 10h03 the staff already knocks on your door to get you out) and wait until check in at 2pm. There was no way they would be willing to find a better solution for us. As we booked a room for several days to be able to sleep in, that really ruined it. In addition, every time you change the room you have to present you passport again, apparently they are not able to remember you or keep your details in the system.
On our last day we wanted to leave our luggage in the storage room but this was not allowed. As checkout is at 10am sharp, but our flight was at 10pm, we had to walk around the city with all our luggage. THANKS A LOT; GREAT SERVICE!!!
This hostel is a only an option if you have no alternative and than hope that you won't need any help....

Room Tip: 85$ a night for 2beds and nothing else, no bathroom, no waredrop, no towels.... And in addition you...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to YHA Auckland International? Share your experiences!