“Great place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of YHA Auckland City

You added YHA Auckland City to your Saves list
YHA Auckland City
4.5 of 5 Hostel   |   cnr City Rd and Liverpool St, Auckland 1010, New Zealand   |
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Great place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Staff were great. Room was perfect for what we needed. Other guests were awesome. Nice to meet new people. Location awesome. Will recommend YHA Auckland to friends and family. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

This was my SECOND time staying at the YHA Auckland City because I had a good stay my first time, five years ago. Staff (Chris, Aaron, Aya, and everyone else who's name I cant remember!) is still just as friendly and helpful and lovely to talk to. There's an elevator, HUGE kitchen and lots of refrigerator space.

The number of people in each room is kept really small, which is nice compared to having a 6-8 person dorm room, they are 2-3 person rooms. Some of the showers have better water pressure than others, but in general the bathrooms/showers are really clean and not very busy (there are some on every floor).

The location is a bit further than the "central" area, but still really walkable and easy to get to K Rd., Mt. Eden area, and Ponsonby by bus/walking. It is also a fairly quick walk to Auckland Domain and has a good number of cafes, etc. around.

For the amount of money, compared to other backpackers in the "central" area, you can pay $33 for a 4-person dorm, or $33 for a 2-person room. Your choice!

And YHA members get wifi for free during your entire stay! Which was pretty good most of the time I was there. It cut out once, but came back after about an hour.

Room Tip: Third floor has the patio where people sometimes smoke, so if you're sensitive to that, ask for...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I enjoy my time there! I stayed there for 5 nights and it was very nice. The hostel is very organized and saved. They have a strong control of people who gets in the building. Also, it was very clean for a hostel. The kitchen is very nice too. ;) The only problem in my opinion was that the hostel is in the upper Queen Street, so we have to "climb" the street to the hostel, but I'd stay there anyways. It is not a big problem ;)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

This was my first stop in NZ. I checked in late after a long haul flight, the receptionist was friendly but at a guess I would think he was new, which isnt ideal for 2am check ins. We got a twin room, I think we got unlucky as the room really stank, almost a stale alcohol smell. Over all this was one of my least favorite places I stayed in Nz, it lacked atmosphere, the location could have been better and over all the place wasnt very homely, welcoming or modern. I dont think id stay here again. Nothing majorly wrong but it just didnt work for me/

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We recently stayed three nights in they YHA and although the building and the rooms are quite small the staff were more than helpful. The kitchen is huge and very clean but the bathrooms were the opposite. There was only one shower in the girls toilets for a floor of 15 rooms and the sanitary bins were over flowing for the three days we were there.. not very nice!
If you need somewhere to stay and you're not picky its cheap and does the job.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

This YHA is at a great good location on a hill and a short walk from Queen Street. I had a double room that only came with a wardrobe. There is a small bathroom on each floor that was kept very clean. The main downside was that my room was located on the first floor and would get overly warm so we had to keep the windows open and there was some loud pedestrian traffic late at night. Some of the other people staying on my floor were a bit younger and unaware of the amount of noise they were making, e.g., slamming doors late at night. The kitchen and eating area was also very large and clean. There's no free wi-fi.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Wakefield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I could write so much but I'll keep this short. Our booking was messed up and we nearly didn't end up with the 3 nights we'd booked, the girl on the phone we dealt with hadn't booked us in at all but thanks to the manager he sorted us out. We had 3 different rooms on the 3 nights. Each floor has 2 showers and 1/2 toilets. Yeah you read this correctly, the amount of times you'll have to run up or down a floor if you're desperate for a toilet break is annoying. The kitchen is very large and is the best feature of the hostel. We stayed in a double room each night, they're very basic, and the views for our first two rooms were of the back of another building and the air vents (this isn't a big deal though). You need to be super fit to walk up the hill to get to the hostel, we were carrying heavy backpackers and a few other bags and had walked from the Sky Tower bus stop, it was pretty painful. Overall, average stay, stayed at better hostels in the city for cheaper prices. 2.5 / 5.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to YHA Auckland City? Share your experiences!