There are some great pros and some horrendous cons to this place.
Pros: The kitchen is first rate, everything's new and clean. The facilities in general are pretty good. The rooms are at the very least, clean - if you're the only person there. The staff are friendly, but - unfortunately...
Cons: They're hopeless. I was moved about five times in seven days to various rooms. In their defence, they did always move me to a better room, but so much buggering about just made it a huge hassle, having to check out at 10am and then put my bags in storage then take them out again at 2pm - what a hassle. Even that isn't an issue, though - my main problem with the place was that there's a massive divide in the type of people staying there. There seems to be three types of people staying here. Normal, twenty to thirty something travellers/workers who are generally thoroughly reasonable people.... School groups who are extremely loud and don't know any better.... and utterly foul, rude, older or foreign types. Let me give a few examples: two gentlemen of far eastern descent who had somehow made a room smell so pungent that I could not stay in there so had to change rooms, at 11pm. An old man who smelt so bad that people literally evacuated the common area to avoid his stink, and there have been several highly hostile, obnoxious Germans who really seem to take offense to everyone. Generally, aside from a small group of really lovely people, the types staying in this particular hostel made it a fairly awful experience, which is a shame, because it would be a great hostel if these people were removed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- YHA Auckland City is the ideal backpacker hostel to start or finish your New Zealand adventure. The hostel combines the excitement of the city with a safe and secure environment. Located at the top of Auckland’s Queen Street, this former hotel has backpacker accommodation comprising mainly twin and double rooms with some multi-share rooms and some of our rooms have views over Auckland city. There is a sun deck on the 3rd floor with a BBQ. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, HostelWorld, HostelBookers, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your YHA Auckland City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Auckland City Yha Hotel Auckland Central
- YHA Auckland City New Zealand